Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami (South FL) energy or Los Angeles energy
Miami 49 54.44%
Los Angeles 41 45.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:31 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I DO though think that LA is THE most entertaining city in the US.
If you like Hollywood and Disneyland it is, because that's where the vast majority of tourists go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:35 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you like Hollywood and Disneyland it is, because that's where the vast majority of tourists go.
That's like me saying NYC is the most entertaining city only if you like Time Square.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:35 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I DO though think that LA is THE most entertaining city in the US. Even more so than NYC. The only reason why some people don't like LA is because it's spread out, but if it had NYC type public transit, it would be no contest in my eyes. The thing that sets LA apart for me, is it's VARIETY in things to do. Other cities don't have the same variety as LA does as far as places of interest go. There must be at least 400 places of interest in LA. They're just hard to get to. There is not much you can do in NYC and Miami that you can't do LA. But there is MUCH you can do in LA, that wouldn't be possible in NYC and Miami.
Exactly, that is one of the reasons as to why I feel LA is very underrated for a city of it's size. People think of all the garbage and negative things when they think of LA. LA really has changed a lot of things to a modern city with all the things it has to offer.

In my honest opinion, LA > NYC. I'm from Houston, never cared about public transportation much, much rather have my own car, be the captain of my time and go and leave whenever I want instead of waiting there for some bus or train. Carry the things I want in my car, and the people, and traffic does not bother me.
I like to drive, and LA can be quite scenic in that aspect.

I mean this in no disrespect to NYC or even my home city Chicago, but living in Houston has changed my life, I'm a car driving person now. Public transportation just doesn't work for me anymore. But please remember this is my honest opinion, I still like Chicago and NYC for their different qualities.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:37 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
I agree LA has a little bit of everything. It's kind of a sampler/appetizer city before the main course elsewhere.
Great point…this is how I felt as well.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:38 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
Great point…this is how I felt as well.
Ditto.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:41 PM

353 posts, read 816,467 times
Quote:
The most objective feedback you’ll ever receive will always come from people with no pre-conceived notions or expectations- tourists. And for the record, I am the perpetual tourist. The same can be said for the thousands that migrate to both locations. A lot of them started as tourists but guess what, they were compelled to move there based on something be it vibrancy, cost of living, weather or an employment opportunity. Defend your city all you want but at the end of the day, vibrancy is what you feel when you’re actually there. Considering the fact that LA is the countries second largest city, it just didn’t give me what I wanted.
+1 good points

Old 05-09-2010, 06:38 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
I recently spent two weeks in Miami and my best friend who's a native of Los Angeles had nothing but negative things to say about Miami when I told her how beautiful I found it to be. I enjoyed LA, but it seemed to lack the energy of Miami/South FL. It's unexplainable, but Miami just seemed to have the extra "something" that I didn't get in LA. If you've experienced both, which did you find the most appealing/lively?

-Miami
-Los Angeles
Thats like the thing to do these days, talk about how bad Miami is when it really isn't, it's actually pretty nice minus some of the bad areas, but it's the same as well in LA. Overall I think Miami has more energy, I find it funny how much South Florida and Southern California get compared, compete, and always get bashed, 2 of the best metro's in the US.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Another point I would like to make on the fact that Miami is more vibrant etc. is the fact that Los Angeles has the typical "west coast pace" which is more laid back. Miami has more of the east coast New York style pace.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Theoretically, you can find anything you can imagine in LA, even if it does take a lifetime of searching.
Can't find a football team :P

Old 05-09-2010, 08:10 PM

370 posts, read 372,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
The poll is about which city is more energetic so I had to go with Miami. LA has a laid back vibe to it. Don't get me wrong, Los Angeles is awesome, I just think there is more hustle and bustle in Miami.
Yes, and as has been identified, that perspective is because Miami is more concentrated (and much smaller) than LA is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City