Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami (South FL) energy or Los Angeles energy
Miami 49 54.44%
Los Angeles 41 45.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Is it raining out there?
Nope, its this wonderful time of year when this happens:

California May Grey / June Gloom

May Grey/June Gloom

We got a taste of it this morning, but now its sunny again. It was weird because the past few days, it was in the high 70s and low 80s. After today, its going to be back in the 70s and 80s with clear sunny skies.

On those days, life is truly awesome. However, commuting in it during the morning sucks because it makes everything feel cooler than it should be. Especially here in the Valley where people in LA know it as "OWWW ITS SO HOT HERE!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Nope, its this wonderful time of year when this happens:

May Grey/June Gloom

We got a taste of it this morning, but now its sunny again. It was weird because the past few days, it was in the high 70s and low 80s. After today, its going to be back in the 70s and 80s with clear sunny skies.

On those days, life is truly awesome. However, commuting in it during the morning sucks because it makes everything feel cooler than it should be. Especially here in the Valley where people in LA know it as "OWWW ITS SO HOT HERE!"
I heard of June Gloom. Does the fact that LA is in a basin cause this to happen?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
I heard of June Gloom. Does the fact that LA is in a basin cause this to happen?
No, not exactly. It's not an LA phenomenon as much as it is a SoCal phenomenon. The Bay Area has it as well, but there isn't nearly as much contrast as it is here.

Quote:
A period known to the locals as May Gray and/or June Gloom often darkens the coastal skies of sunny southern California with a layer of marine stratus. During this time, the coastal clouds may remain all day but often give way to some hazy afternoon sunshine. The number of days during this two month period that are gloomy vary from year to year. Cooler ocean temperatures (La Nina conditions) usually foretell a gloomier period.
It basically has to do with cooler ocean temperatures hitting the warm air from the land. May Gray/June Gloom happen because the deserts (or in the Bay Area, the Central Valley) has warm air rushing westward, while the cooler ocean air is going eastward. When you mix those two together, coastal clouds to form.

However, the further you are inland from the ocean, the less time clouds stick around. Here in the SFV, the clouds usually burn off by 10-11 AM and you can enjoy the sun until it gives you heat stroke. Along the coast, it sticks around much longer but eventually burns off.

As a native, you get used to it. However, in my opinion its kind of annoying. When it's late spring/early summer, I want it to FEEL like late spring/early summer, not a continuation of winter. It's all good though because by the end of July, you'll want the clouds back

Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
No, not exactly. It's not an LA phenomenon as much as it is a SoCal phenomenon. The Bay Area has it as well, but there isn't nearly as much contrast as it is here.

It basically has to do with cooler ocean temperatures hitting the warm air from the land. May Gray/June Gloom happen because the deserts (or in the Bay Area, the Central Valley) has warm air rushing westward, while the cooler ocean air is going eastward. When you mix those two together, coastal clouds to form.

However, the further you are inland from the ocean, the less time clouds stick around. Here in the SFV, the clouds usually burn off by 10-11 AM and you can enjoy the sun until it gives you heat stroke. Along the coast, it sticks around much longer but eventually burns off.

As a native, you get used to it. However, in my opinion its kind of annoying. When it's late spring/early summer, I want it to FEEL like late spring/early summer, not a continuation of winter. It's all good though because by the end of July, you'll want the clouds back
It must be fun, the atmospheric diversity between the coastal areas of Cali, The Inland areas, The Valley's and The Basins.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
nothing against l.a., it trounces miami in everything quite handily and miami is in a lower tier for sure, miami is more of a party/energy city though.
I think the only cities that can hang with Miami in this regard are NYC due to its sheer size and Vegas, and I am hesitant to say Vegas...

Last edited by grapico; 05-10-2010 at 05:15 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 05:12 PM

142 posts, read 442,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Nice post, maybe I'm being a little bias, but what REALLY does LA have to offer that Miami doesn't?

Miami is great and all but LA truly has MANY more layers to it than Miami.

A short list would include:

-Geographic Diversity: desert, mountains, and the ocean all in ONE place. In the the city limits of LA the elevation runs from sea level to over 5,000 feet. If you look at the entire metro area the elevation runs from sea level to over 10,000 feet.

-Climate: Related to point above...but the LA metro area has sun and snow. NO LESS important we are BLESSED with DRY summers as opposed to the MUGGY, HUMID Hell called a Miami summer.

-Cultural Institutions: LA has far more cultural insitutions than Miami. To name a few: Getty Center, Museum of Contemporary Art, LA County Museum of Art, Huntington Library & Gardens, and Norton Simon Museum. Also, the LA Philharmonic is a world class symphony that is among the BEST in the world.

-Music Scene: LA has a LONG, DEEP history of musical diversity and influence. The best musicians in the world are here every night of the week. Venues both small and large that cater to every taste. Miami will never match LA in this regard.

-Art Scene: LA's artistic scene is cutting edge and among the most influential in the world. The City's art scene was even the sole focus of Spain's (and Europe's) biggest art fairs (see the link).
L.A. is on display at the big European art fair ARCOmadrid - latimes.com

-Skiing and Surfing: You will NEVER be able to snow ski in Miami. You can do this within the LA metro area. You VERY RARELY can surf in SO.FLA. California has the BEST surf in the USA outside of Hawaii.

-LA's Ethnic Diversity is MORE varied than Miami. Read: Latino, Asian, Persian, Armenian, etc.

-LA's Economy is far MORE diverse and offers more opportunites than Miami (which is essentially a tourist town with some banking for Latin America).

Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
Miami is great and all but LA truly has MANY more layers to it than Miami.

A short list would include:

-Geographic Diversity: desert, mountains, and the ocean all in ONE place. In the the city limits of LA the elevation runs from sea level to over 5,000 feet. If you look at the entire metro area the elevation runs from sea level to over 10,000 feet.

-Climate: Related to point above...but the LA metro area has sun and snow. NO LESS important we are BLESSED with DRY summers as opposed to the MUGGY, HUMID Hell called a Miami summer.

-Cultural Institutions: LA has far more cultural insitutions than Miami. To name a few: Getty Center, Museum of Contemporary Art, LA County Museum of Art, Huntington Library & Gardens, and Norton Simon Museum. Also, the LA Philharmonic is a world class symphony that is among the BEST in the world.

-Music Scene: LA has a LONG, DEEP history of musical diversity and influence. The best musicians in the world are here every night of the week. Venues both small and large that cater to every taste. Miami will never match LA in this regard.

-Art Scene: LA's artistic scene is cutting edge and among the most influential in the world. The City's art scene was even the sole focus of Spain's (and Europe's) biggest art fairs (see the link).
L.A. is on display at the big European art fair ARCOmadrid - latimes.com

-Skiing and Surfing: You will NEVER be able to snow ski in Miami. You can do this within the LA metro area. You VERY RARELY can surf in SO.FLA. California has the BEST surf in the USA outside of Hawaii.

-LA's Ethnic Diversity is MORE varied than Miami. Read: Latino, Asian, Persian, Armenian, etc.

-LA's Economy is far MORE diverse and offers more opportunites than Miami (which is essentially a tourist town with some banking for Latin America).
I wouldn't call it hell. I mean, Miami has warmer water, I heard that LA water is FRIGID. YIKES!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 PM

142 posts, read 442,157 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call it hell. I mean, Miami has warmer water, I heard that LA water is FRIGID. YIKES!!!

Yes...very cold water in LA.

Love the Miami winters but sorry the summers in Miami are inhumane.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
Yes...very cold water in LA.

Love the Miami winters but sorry the summers in Miami are inhumane.
I would also prefer LA summers(never experienced it, but it sounds nice). I'm not gonna lie, I also prefer dry heat over humid heat.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:42 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Quote:
Pfft. Only if you're a weirdo who needs a club setting to be open longer than 2 AM to pick up girls/guys

Last call (bar term) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yeah, that law is antiquated. It comes from WW2 when there was black out conditions all over California in fear of a Japanese attack on the West Coast. We no longer have that fear, but now the reason for keeping it at 2 AM is drunk drivers out on the road.

Hopefully, when this opens:

We can see the law being repealed. However, you probably won't be seeing me there that late because I do LOVE to work out and go hiking in the morning. There's nothing like a fresh breeze in the morning after a good run

However, there are still plenty of venues that stay open past 2 AM. In addition, a lot of places still stay open but they just stop serving drinks (unless they want their liquor license taken away!) You just have to know where to look. That's where having someone who is actually from LA is helpful

Well, if you're into history too, there's a Mission that's literally down the street from my house!

Mission San Fernando Rey de España

I really do think people sorely underrate LA on this site. However, as I'll say it again, LA is still a city in the making. Give it time and it will probably become an even better city within the next few years. It takes a certain type of person to appreciate it.

I do. Even on days like this when the weather is being bi-polar.
Thats how I feel about Miami, and that last picture looks so much like something you could see in South Florida, nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City