Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 PM

149 posts, read 596,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound54 View Post
Thanks, Goldenage. We do plan on checking them out. Thanks for all of your posts. I've read many of them and you are a wealth of info!!! I had heard some negatives about Compass Pointe's financial stability but I think they are older posts. We are looking for about 2200 to 2400 square feet. We are renting commercial space in Leland for our business so that's probably our best bet for our home. We would like a golf course community but it doesn't have to be private. Don't know if CP will ever build one.

Has anyone had to store furniture while they build or wait for closing? I think we may be in that position. I'm half tempted to sell everything and buy new furniture! The cost of moving and storing might be the same!
Quite a bit of work has been done on the CP golf course in the last few months. If you have not been there lately you should check it out. As far as rumors of financial instability, I would say that is your basic web misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:30 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Default Porters Neck Plantation and CC

Does anyone know the HOA fees for Porters Neck Plantation or the membership fees for the CC? This looks like an interesting development. I got something for Compass Point in the mail and while reading the CD thread re Leland I came across all the other developments. I don't want to be in the sticks and feel isolated from shopping and entertainment. I also really want to be close to a place for lap swimming.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Does anyone know the HOA fees for Porters Neck Plantation or the membership fees for the CC? This looks like an interesting development.
I found a real estate site through Google. The quoted HOA fees for listings in Porter's Neck Plantation ranged from $75/month to $225/month. It apparently depended on what services you get. I have heard there are some villa homes whether they do everything for you.

The Country Club is way out of my price range and that's all I know.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 AM

39 posts, read 102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I found a real estate site through Google. The quoted HOA fees for listings in Porter's Neck Plantation ranged from $75/month to $225/month. It apparently depended on what services you get. I have heard there are some villa homes whether they do everything for you.

The Country Club is way out of my price range and that's all I know.
The fees are based on the location of whether you live "inside or outside" the gates of Porter's neck. Porter's Neck has several different "communities" with different fees.WE even found one area where they had their pool. I tried looking at the Internet for information on PN, but I didn't find the "details" until we visited the area several times.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:27 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple View Post
The fees are based on the location of whether you live "inside or outside" the gates of Porter's neck. Porter's Neck has several different "communities" with different fees.WE even found one area where they had their pool. I tried looking at the Internet for information on PN, but I didn't find the "details" until we visited the area several times.
I found one bit of info though not sure how accurate it is but the monthly fees were over 200 per month plus initiation fee (which I feel is rather high). Did you purchase anything?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound54 View Post
What a great thread! I would love to hear if any of you have made up your mind. After three visits to Wilmington and almost buying in Brunswick Forest, we decided to rent in the area for six months and really absorb everything before we decide. We have not seen anything but BF and St. James Plantation, but liked BF's price ranges and the proximity to downtown. SJP was awesome but too far from downtown for us. Too pricey for golf and amenities.. Also a little too remote. We felt we would blow through restaurants in and near SJP quickly and wish we would be closer to town. And I personally feel that if you have to drive 15-20 minutes to a private beach club, what's 10 minutes more? I know many people love SJP and I can see why, but it wasn't for us. I also am not thrilled with belonging to four clubs that won't allow me in with jeans. Been there, done that.

Some impressions of BF on our last visit: The barren feeling that several spoke about seemed a little improved this past trip, although still evident compared to more established communities. I think a lot of the younger vegetation has grown and they have worked on landscaping. The golf course, Cape Fear, was awesome. The amenities are wonderful and the River Club looked like a lot of fun, although I have never kayaked before. Bike trails galore and a dog park. It's real close to downtown, which we really love. Every restaurant we tried was fantastic and the historic area charming. Wrightsville beach was breathtaking, about a 30 min. drive. Negatives: Buying there is very confusing because every neighborhood has different models and builders. It bugged me that Brunswick Forest has their own realty company that floods the MLS with models, specs and "houses" that are really unbuilt lots. It's very difficult to pinpoint which are resales. Lots can be on the small size and house styles a bit uncreative on the exterior. However, I felt the interior details were nicely done and that the base packages had a lot of extras. Leland is growing and I think the amenities of the town will grow too, mostly due to the growth of BF.

So we should be in Wilmington this summer and give it a whirl. We definitely plan on visiting many other communities. My hope is that we know we love it after a month and tell our realtor in PA to list!! Keep you posted...
Smart move on renting for six months to get the lay of the land. We started out looking in Wilmington and then looked at Leland; Hampstead; Southport before buying in Winding River Plantation. We like several areas in Hampstead, but the traffic once you hit Wilmington is bad and there is very little in shopping in the Hampstead area. We are a little too far from Wilmington, but it will be nice to take the ferry back and forth. We are a 10 minute drive from Home Depot; Lowe's Food; Lowes and Wal Mart in WR. Leland is growing rapidly and the traffic is starting to become a real problem, especially if want to cross over to Wilmington. I am surprised the time it takes to get from Leland to downtime Wilmington. It is not the miles, but the time it takes to travel.

One observation about the Plantations, is that they are not just places for retirees. Brunswick Forest was almost entirely retirees, while the other the other plantations in Leland had a nice size population of non retirees. Even SJP has a significant amount of non retirees. Winding River has a nice mixture of age groups. There are resales and lots for sale in Winding River. Some of the builders own lots in Winding River and you can't beat the price for the amenities. I might suggest you make a list of what you want in your choice or what is the most important and you then can start the process of elimination.

Last edited by Mr. Purple; 07-13-2014 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-13-2014, 09:17 AM

149 posts, read 596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple View Post
Smart move on renting for six months to get the lay of the land. We started out looking in Wilmington and then looked at Leland; Hampstead; Southport before buying in Winding River Plantation. We like several areas in Hampstead, but the traffic once you hit Wilmington is bad and there is very little in shopping in the Hampstead area. We are a little too far from Wilmington, but it will be nice to take the ferry back and forth. We are a 10 minute drive from Home Depot; Lowe's Food; Lowes and Wal Mart in WR. Leland is growing rapidly and the traffic is starting to become a real problem, especially if want to cross over to Wilmington. I am surprised the time it takes to get from Leland to downtime Wilmington. It is not the miles, but the time it takes to travel.

One observation about the Plantations, is that they are not just places for retirees. Brunswick Forest was almost entirely retirees, while the other the other plantations in Leland had a nice size population of non retirees. Even SJP has a significant amount of non retirees. Winding River has a nice mixture of age groups. There are resales and lots for sale in Winding River. Some of the builders own lots in Winding River and you can't beat the price for the amenities. I might suggest you make a list of what you want in your choice or what is the most important and you then can start the process of elimination.
It's funny the different perceptions people have of the traffic in Brunswick County. My impression is that the traffic on 211 between Southport and Rt. 17 (especially between Southport and the turn off for Oak Island) is worse than going from Leland to Wilmington. There is also future help in reducing traffic between Leland and Wilmington (though that may be 5-10 years away) with the completion of I140.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Does anyone know the HOA fees for Porters Neck Plantation or the membership fees for the CC? This looks like an interesting development. I got something for Compass Point in the mail and while reading the CD thread re Leland I came across all the other developments. I don't want to be in the sticks and feel isolated from shopping and entertainment. I also really want to be close to a place for lap swimming.
I was there this past march and picked up their brochure. Their rates are varied by neighborhood, type of home etc... and there are different levels for their country club membership.

Contact them through their site: Private & Gated Community | Porters Neck Plantation & Country Club for a packet or pricing.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I found one bit of info though not sure how accurate it is but the monthly fees were over 200 per month plus initiation fee (which I feel is rather high). Did you purchase anything?
I am talking about HOA fees, not social fees (county club; pool and initiation; tennis). They are two separate expenses. I didn't purchase a home in PN, but toured several homes and the the HOA and Social fees were listed with a detailed explanation in a buyers booklet at each location. PN was the runner up to our purchase in Winding River Plantation.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:17 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Default Porter's Neck

I'll give an abbreviated summary of the fees I was provided with in March: Note that these are NOT POA dues.

Full Special Equity: incl: 18 hole Tom Fazio championship golf course & practice facilities, tennis, fitness & swimming priviledges at the Sports Center, Clubhouse dining & participation in social activities

Initiation Fee: $15,000 if purchased within 60 day trial period OR $17,000 if purchased after 60 day trial

Montly Dues; $475
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina