Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 11:04 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times

Advertisements

Biscy.... not a crazy question at all.... but the answer is there is no norm, just like in NJ some sellers can / will do a contingency contract and some will not... depends on their situation financial and otherwise just like in NJ.... going out on a limb now but I will state that NO builders will do it on new construction..... as far as what percentage sell before coming down here I would say again that it depends on their financial situation, people do it both ways all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 03:53 PM

20 posts, read 44,627 times
Biscman if I had to guess I would say there are a lot of people who bought/built using a bridge loan against their home they are living in.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:46 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
Thanks for the reply Stoney, I figured it was all depending on the sellers individuals preference.

House on the market this week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Biscy.... not a crazy question at all.... but the answer is there is no norm, just like in NJ some sellers can / will do a contingency contract and some will not... depends on their situation financial and otherwise just like in NJ.... going out on a limb now but I will state that NO builders will do it on new construction..... as far as what percentage sell before coming down here I would say again that it depends on their financial situation, people do it both ways all the time.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
Thanks for replying Chevy.I have heard of these but to be honest not familiar with the specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy314 View Post
Biscman if I had to guess I would say there are a lot of people who bought/built using a bridge loan against their home they are living in.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:51 AM

6 posts, read 10,793 times
Read 80% of these threads. Been down 4 times to Brunswick County from CT, starting with Compass Pointe and covering about 12 plantations from Porters (north) to Brunswick Plantation (south). Thought the tour guide at SJP was arrogant and obnoxious, that SJP was too big and didn't like fee structure. (But have several acquaintances who love it there) Interestingly, the prime attribute we sought in a "plantation" was "gated" as we will be part time residents initially. It seems SJP and BP are the only truly gated facilities as all other gateds have contractor entrances open most of the time! Anyway, we're down to three - Winding River, ORP and Rivers Edge and prefer to buy existing vs build. Anyone have any suggestions on determining the friendliness of the existing residents and the inclusiveness of "the community" in these places? Do any have any newbie "orientation"activities? Maybe we should just hang out in their restaurant bar or in an exercise room if allowed? (Seems like locals are very friendly and there are a lot of transplants from the Northeast down there trying to escape high property taxes.) Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:32 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego2NC View Post
Read 80% of these threads. Been down 4 times to Brunswick County from CT, starting with Compass Pointe and covering about 12 plantations from Porters (north) to Brunswick Plantation (south). Thought the tour guide at SJP was arrogant and obnoxious, that SJP was too big and didn't like fee structure. (But have several acquaintances who love it there) Interestingly, the prime attribute we sought in a "plantation" was "gated" as we will be part time residents initially. It seems SJP and BP are the only truly gated facilities as all other gateds have contractor entrances open most of the time! Anyway, we're down to three - Winding River, ORP and Rivers Edge and prefer to buy existing vs build. Anyone have any suggestions on determining the friendliness of the existing residents and the inclusiveness of "the community" in these places? Do any have any newbie "orientation"activities? Maybe we should just hang out in their restaurant bar or in an exercise room if allowed? (Seems like locals are very friendly and there are a lot of transplants from the Northeast down there trying to escape high property taxes.) Thanks in advance for any insight.
I'll repeat what I've written previously...why not live in a real community like Southport or Wilmington, rather than a pre-fab "plantation"? There's no need for a gate. I owned a house in Southport for 4 years that we didn't live in full time and never had any sort of issue.

If thats not an option, surely the people at the developments you're interested in can tell you about any newcomer orientation activities, no?

Not surprised to hear about the your experience at SJP...sounds spot on to me!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 10,793 times
Thanks for the input. Only reason for a "plantation" is for the amenities. Southport was cool place. Wilmington a little big and crowded. Would like to visit but don't want to live there.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego2NC View Post
St. James is most likely the largest, and remember, it is an organized Town as well as a gated Plantation. The Sales staff do not represent the property owners. One factor to consider is the proximity to local outlets, such as grocery stores, gas stations, etc. Rivers Edge is close to Shallotte, ORP reasonable close to Calabash, Winding River is a distance from most things other than the fast food/gas stations on 17 in Supply.
All of them, including the ones that you have rejected have their assets and you will not regret the move here.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:05 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,415,635 times
My recommendation is to rent in one of the communities for 6 months. That is my intention as I want this to be my last move and I want it to be one I can live with.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:36 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
My recommendation is to rent in one of the communities for 6 months. That is my intention as I want this to be my last move and I want it to be one I can live with.
Good advise. When my wife and I decided to move to the coast, we found a decent water front condo to rent with a pool. We stayed there about a year and a half. While there we traveled up and down the coast looking at a lot of different communities and properties before making our decision on where to be for retirement. We had our own vision of what we wanted as I am sure you do.

Renting a condo for a year had some side benefits for us as well. We wanted to down size. We went from almost 4000 sq/ft to 1600 then finally into our new home with about 2200. Some things went into a storage unit, a lot was sold. If you want to end up in a house, keep in mind you will have some kind of landscape and you may want to keep a few yard toys, water hoses and such. Think about your home decor. Do you want to keep that county look or Tuscan look or do you want to change to something more coastal or "beachy". What will a storage unit cost vs the cost of just buying something new.

Yes, it is a pain moving more than once and dealing with storage etc but it really helps to clear out all that "stuff" you don't really need. You are starting a new chapter in your life that is going to be very different in retirement. Enjoy and don't load yourself down with a lot of baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina