Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 11:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Lol.. the Big 10 didn't even kick out Penn State. Interesting that y'all would prefer to make the conference weaker by replacing Baylor with some mediocre school.
And what does the Big 8 have to do with the Big 12? The Big 12 is part of the old SWC. In case you need to be reminded, the SWC also included Houston, Rice, and SMU.
I know all about the Ol' Southwest Conference. And you prove my point for me: conferences with private schools with smaller fanbases don't make it as big boy conferences. Exhibit A = SW Conference.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:46 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm all for it and I think Sooner Nation would be good with it too.

Most Sooner Fans have always wondered how smaller non-state schools made it into the Big XII since that is what the Big 8 was all about.....large, land-grant state schools. Getting rid of Baylor accomplishes much.
Baylor got in because Governor Ann Richards was their most prominent graduate. Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A$M weren't (and aren't) smaller state schools - bigger than most all Big 8 schools. Latecomer TCU? Well, I guess they got in recently because y'all helped vote them in after big bad Texas ran off Mizzou, the Children of the Corn, the Buffs, and the aggies. Not to mention the toads had won a BCS bowl game recently.

Someone mentioned Cougar High - As I recall they had a pretty good team with a Heisman Trophy winner a couple of decades ago, and they have a pretty good team right now. Of course Briles was the one who brought them out of the doldrums to hand it off to Stumblin, who in turn was succeeded by Herman. Houston had 30,000+ students when it was known as a commuter school in the '70s, but the place has considerably upgraded its academic programs & research in the past 20 years. They now have 42,000 students on campus including 7,000 in grad school.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-16-2016 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 11:01 AM

So UT actually reported the rapes instead of having their coaches, AD, president, & BoR cover them up with the collusion of the police department?

Are you saying all the accusers are liars?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Need i remind you that it is very likely your team will not be relevant for 20-30 years or longer? You've already had your successful years. And now we know why you were successful.

BYU and Houston are not mediocre. They've also had real good teams in the past, too.

Y'all bring back Briles, that should be enough to throw y'all out.
Oh..? I didn't realize teams only got a certain amount of "successful years" allocated to them.
And what exactly is this "reason" we now know for why Baylor football has been successful..?

Im still not convinced Briles deserved to be fired. In any case, I can't see him wanting to come back after all of this.. Briles seems to think he was done wrong.

Quote:
Briles is demanding Baylor turn over its litigation files and the information discovered by law firm Pepper Hamilton in its independent review of the school, claiming he has yet to see the evidence for why Baylor fired him.

Briles is a co-defendant with Baylor in a lawsuit filed by a rape victim. His lawyer says he does not intend to settle.
Baylor scandal: Art Briles accuses school of wrongful termination

Edited to say that my point about making the conference weaker was about athletics (and academics) in general.. Baylor brings a lot more to the table than just football.

Last edited by TexasTallest; 06-16-2016 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 01:48 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
So UT actually reported the rapes instead of having their coaches, AD, president, & BoR cover them up with the collusion of the police department?

Where did you get any of that from my post..? It was pointing out that sexual assault goes under reported (and why that happens) just about everywhere, UT being no exception. That last quote I linked talks about how UT (and other schools in general), typically aren't obligated to turn over sexual assaults to law enforcement unless its an extreme case. Kind of a messed up policy. Again, why are universities being held responsible/allowed to "uphold the law"? These are criminal matters that should all be turned over to police.

From the first link..
Quote:
About 6 percent of females who said they were victims of "nonconsensual sexual touching" reported the assault to authorities.

Women listed feelings of shame, embarrassment or fear of emotional difficulty as the top reasons they didn’t report the assaults. The other primary reason was that the women didn’t think their cases were serious enough to report.
https://www.texastribune.org/2015/09...en-sexually-a/

Quote:
“They include a fear of not being believed … or that the disciplinary action at the end of the process will not be worth the process itself,” Burrows said.

Hammat said the University is working with the federal government to expand and clarify the people charged with “mandatory reporting.” Mandatory reporting legally requires certain University employees to report incidents of sexual assault they’re told about.
That list currently includes deans, department chairs and residential assistants, among others, but some responsibilities aren’t clearly defined.
Sexual assault remains under-reported on campus despite growing awareness | The Daily Texan

Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,703 times
APNewsBreak: Fired coach Art Briles lambastes Baylor | NCAA College Football

And it's only going to get uglier.

I think the title for this 30 for 30 should be: "The Art of Silence"

Old 06-16-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Where did you get any of that from my post..? It was pointing out that sexual assault goes under reported (and why that happens) just about everywhere, UT being no exception. That last quote I linked talks about how UT (and other schools in general), typically aren't obligated to turn over sexual assaults to law enforcement unless its an extreme case. Kind of a messed up policy. Again, why are universities being held responsible/allowed to "uphold the law"? These are criminal matters that should all be turned over to police.

From the first link..

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/09...en-sexually-a/

Sexual assault remains under-reported on campus despite growing awareness | The Daily Texan
Anyone with a pulse is aware of the rape problem in & around universities & why many women don't report the crime. As far as Baylor's situation goes, it is alleged that multiple coaches were informed about their players' crimes, then proceeded to discourage/intimidate/ignore the victims, and going so far as to hounding one off of campus & pulling her athletic scholarship. THAT is the crux of the matter in Waco. Not to mention Waco PD is alleged to have "buried" public documents concerning some of the football rape cases.

If a coed gets assaulted off campus by someone who may not even be a student, the first entity to report it to would be APD. If on campus, then the administration & UTPD would be in "minor" cases. Full-blown rape - APD of course.
So far we haven't heard any allegations of UT officials or coaches failing to report rapes or serious assaults to the APD. Or discouraging anyone from doing so. Plus it is public knowledge what Charlie Strong does when a UT player is accused of rape. Of course the Jordan Hicks/Case McCoy case from the Alamo Bowl several years ago gets mentioned by Baylor fans, but those idjits are too dumb or ignorant to recall what really happened and why that charge was dismissed (Case had videoed the willing female which clearly indicated there was no rape & it was consensual). Nonetheless they didn't play in that game.

And yes, there are undoubtedly fake "bandwagon victims", wanting to get in on the attention or money train. But two juries in Waco thought otherwise for the cases that have been publicized.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
APNewsBreak: Fired coach Art Briles lambastes Baylor | NCAA College Football

And it's only going to get uglier.

I think the title for this 30 for 30 should be: "The Art of Silence"
No kidding. It looks like Baylor screwed up not firing all the coaches mentioned in the PH oral briefing report. There must be some really bad crap in the report to cause the BoR to refuse to release the entire thing.

I wonder if the students & faculty will even know where to hold their next vigil "demonstration", since Starr got fired. Which coaches' house or the BoR meetings?

But it sure looks like Briles is going to try to destroy the whole place & take them all down with him. That's the kind of guy he is.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Baylor got in because Governor Ann Richards was their most prominent graduate. Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A$M weren't (and aren't) smaller state schools - bigger than most all Big 8 schools. Latecomer TCU? Well, I guess they got in recently because y'all helped vote them in after big bad Texas ran off Mizzou, the Children of the Corn, the Buffs, and the aggies. Not to mention the toads had won a BCS bowl game recently.

Someone mentioned Cougar High - As I recall they had a pretty good team with a Heisman Trophy winner a couple of decades ago, and they have a pretty good team right now. Of course Briles was the one who brought them out of the doldrums to hand it off to Stumblin, who in turn was succeeded by Herman. Houston had 30,000+ students when it was known as a commuter school in the '70s, but the place has considerably upgraded its academic programs & research in the past 20 years. They now have 42,000 students on campus including 7,000 in grad school.
Yep. To the bold I was obviously referring to Baylor primarily and Texas Christian secondarily. If I would have been casting a vote from OU's side, I would have totally been against Texas Christian. Too small a school/enrollment in a market that Oklahoma, Tejas, and A&M already dominate.

We could have been courting Florida State, Clemson, or Miami and we got Texas Christian? Big time loss, which the the Big XII has been all about with its perpetual reactive leadership.

Children of the Corn, LOL. I remember watching that movie almost forty years ago. Scared the hell out of this Okie.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:

^^^
This.

I don't know why for some Fighting Baptist fans this is so hard to understand. The coaching staff did some of their own "investigation" which was really just trying to talk the girls down off the ledge and not make it a bigger issue. That IS a crime. And the coaches are fortunate, to this point, that they're not on in a jail cell where they belong. Weak SOBs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football