Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2023, 05:40 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Best wishes to you guys this year. I hope you prove all the doubters wrong. Coming from a Pitt fan.
Say what????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 12:07 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Say what????
Yes indeed.

On a side note, it is interesting that all of WVU's non-conference games are teams from PA.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:35 AM

Week 1 Preview

West Virginia @ Penn State

Game details:
Station: NBC
Time: 7:30 PM Eastern
Spread: PSU -20.5

All-time series: 48-9-2 (PSU)

First Take:

It's finally time for old foes to reunite on the gridiron! It's been 31 years (1992) since the Nitty Lyings and Mountaineers last met. A lot has happened since the EERS last played the Happy Valleyers. Joe Pa is gone, West Virginia plays in a predominately western conference, and I am old enough to actually enjoy the game (I was a baby last time they played). Penn State is looking to finally compete in the B1G against the likes of OSU and Michigan. They appear to have a loaded team, and conference title aspirations. Meanwhile, West Virginia is coming into the game with low expectations. Under Neal Brown, the Mountaineers have a record of 22-25. He's lucky he has a job, and will be even luckier if he makes it to October with one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReiRdOajB14

Special Notes:

1. This will be the largest crowd West Virginia has ever played in front of. They are talking about this being a record for a game at Beaver Stadium. WVU of course has played at Beaver Stadium, but that was before its most recent expansion.

2. Although it won't be a "white out", the theme is helmet stripe night. There will be a one section of both sides of the stadium that's blue, while everyone else is in white. Kinda cool.

3. This will be the first B1G NBC game under their new contract. How did West Virginia get sooo lucky to be on a prime time game, on a big network, at night, as 3 touchdown underdogs?

WVU threads: Blue Helmet, White Jersey & Gold Pants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5iKhflyNlo

I love that look!

Prediction:

I honestly do not expect West Virginia to win this game. Penn State is good, but I do expect WVU to cover the spread. I can see them hanging in early, keeping it within striking distance in the first half. Then Penn State pulling away in the 3rd. WVU is an unknown at this point. PSU however has known playmakers on both sides of the ball. That's what's driving my prediction.

Homer prediction: 41-38 West Virginia.
Down by 4 with 3 minutes left, WVU scores on a Jalen Anderson TD to go up by 3 (w/extra point).

Actual prediction: 38-27 Penn State
24-20 half time

Let's Goooooo Mountaineers!!!!

Last edited by Chriscross309; 09-01-2023 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-01-2023, 11:45 AM

3,939 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Very objective. I will give you this. Drew Allar is in his first year starting. No mop up duty. He's the man, now! He has plenty of weapons so I don't think he's asked to win the game. Game manager is what they call them now. Anyway, I see it being 35-20 PSU. I agree with your points that it will be close but PSU pulls away late.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Very objective. I will give you this. Drew Allar is in his first year starting. No mop up duty. He's the man, now! He has plenty of weapons so I don't think he's asked to win the game. Game manager is what they call them now. Anyway, I see it being 35-20 PSU. I agree with your points that it will be close but PSU pulls away late.
I'm interested to see West Virginia's secondary vs Penn State's WRs. I think that Allar has the potential to throw guys open. WVU was one of the worst pass defense teams in the country last year.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:28 PM

1,118 posts, read 516,020 times
Drew Allar is INSANE. Nice fight tonight, mountaineers. We’re just beyond next level.
You’ll still beat Pitt.

Old 09-03-2023, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
Drew Allar is INSANE. Nice fight tonight, mountaineers. We’re just beyond next level.
You’ll still beat Pitt.
Holy cow Penn State was good! They did everything they wanted. I would add though that a lot of Penn State’s wide outs were wide open all night. No real treat from West Virginia’s secondary.

It was a good game until the third quarter, then it got out of hand.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:28 AM

1,118 posts, read 516,020 times
Penn St is a national championship contender. Don’t feel too down today… WVU almost covered.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM

Week 1 Review

The Mountaineers were soundly defeated by the Penn Staters last Saturday. PSU covered the spread with a very very late TD, making the final score 38-15. West Virginia was only down 14-7 at half, but could never get any momentum in the second half. The game was painful to watch at times, and WVU certainly has a lot of work to do. However, they showed some flashes. Especially with the O-Line and running game.

Week 2 Preview

West Virginia vs. Duquesne

Game details:
Station: ESPN+
Time: 6:00 PM Eastern

First Take:

Holy smokes, it has been 88 years since West Virginia last played little spittsburgh. In 1935 they pounded WVU 19-0. Yikes! West Virginia needs to come into this game fired up. They are better than they showed in State College, and therefore will not pull any punches. Neal Brown needs some good publicity, so he will try to put up 70. I don't imagine this being much of a game, but I still don't know if 70 is within grasping range for this team. Even if the opponent is FCS. Maybe they should use that 19-0 as motivation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZRCoBgdQrU

Game Threads: Gold Helmet, Gray Jersey, Gray Pants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yanlzTCuZJM

This is something new. I don't think I like it, but whatever. It's not about what I think looks good.

Prediction

This game will be over early. I don't think they'll be able to stop West Virginia's run game. The defensive secondary will do a heck of a lot better denying big plays, and the Dukes will be held to minimal gains. I look for 300 plus yards rushing. I don't see us having to toss the ball a bunch, so a modest 150-200 yards in the air would suffice. That will get West Virginia to a cruising victory.

Final Score: 48-10

Let's Gooooooo!!!!!

Old 09-15-2023, 07:52 PM

This is no ordinary game, so it certainly doesn’t deserve an ordinary preview!

It’s the BACKYARD BRAWL!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZ41kPxRBA

Check out the fit!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqvfb2...UJd3Z1c3BvcnRz

It doesn’t matter what the records are.
It doesn’t matter how last week went.
It doesn’t matter how last year went.
It doesn’t matter who the players are.
It’s the Pitt game!!!
106th meeting all time!
In Morgantown!
Night Game!
Stripe the stadium!
The place will be lit!

Let’s go Mountaineers!!!!

Eat $#!+ pitt

27-24 WVU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football