Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2022, 08:11 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,114,480 times

Advertisements

Week 5

West Virginia (2-2)(0-1 conf) @ Tejas (2-2)(0-1 conf)

The Rivalry of State Egos (unofficial name)

Saturday // 7:30 PM Eastern/6:30 Central // FS1

All time series: 6-5 in favor of the Mountaineers!!! <<< Fun fact; West Virginia is the only current Big 12 team with a overall winning record verse Texas. I think this says more about how bad Texas has been, then how good West Virginia has been since joining the league.

Game Overview:

Both Texas and West Virginia are looking for their first conference win on the year. The difference is, Texas is coming off a loss to in state rival Tech in a game which they led by double digits in the second half. West Virginia is coming off a big win over arch rival Virginia Tech, and has been improving each week! Texas has been playing without their star QB these past couple of weeks, but might get Ewers back for this game. I think that either Texas QB is serviceable, and the Longhorns are eager to get back in the win column. Especially at home verse a team like West Virginia who has generated some competitive games with them over the last 10 years! This series has been a great one, and neither team has truly dominated the other. This year should be no different! With both offenses capable of explosive plays, I can see this one being a shootout.

Last years game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKjMM0SuTk

Uniforms:
As of this moment, the uniforms have not been announced. However, I'm going to make a prediction. I saw a picture of West Virginia wearing gold helmets for practice this week. Maybe, they will Go gold helmet, white jersey, and gold pants. This is a favorite combo among many fans and players, and it would be a good contrast with the predominately darker colors they've worn in the past 2 games.

My Prediction:
I am concerned about our defensive backfield still. They played a weak VPI team last week, and weren't really tested. Texas has the ability to make some major gains down field with their stud receiver Worthy (who may or may not play). They also have arguably the best RB in the nation. I do however see weakness with the Texas O-Line. West Virginia's D-line is due for a breakout game. I can see Stills, Jefferson, Alston, and the gang putting some serious pressure on their ability to run and pass. I think that will be the difference in the game, and will give West Virginia the edge it needs! Our offense is hitting its stride, and it will not be stopped by the cows!

Score Prediction:

West Virginia 45 - Texas 40

Image Source: https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/...ub/8492103007/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 09:49 AM

3,735 posts, read 2,563,582 times
ChrisCross.. I appreciate you keeping this thread up..
Are you old enough to remember the Mountaineer Rap? It 'dropped' the year West Virginia played for the national championship.. The soon to vanish Major Harris recorded it during that epic season they had. I was thinking (& laughing) about it today. A sort of golden era, when NFL & college teams, having great seasons, would release corny raps.

Old 09-29-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
ChrisCross.. I appreciate you keeping this thread up..
Are you old enough to remember the Mountaineer Rap? It 'dropped' the year West Virginia played for the national championship.. The soon to vanish Major Harris recorded it during that epic season they had. I was thinking (& laughing) about it today. A sort of golden era, when NFL & college teams, having great seasons, would release corny raps.
I am very familiar with the rap, but am not old enough to remember when it was released. Major Harris was a phenomenal athlete, who would have won the Heisman had he attended a school like Penn State, Ohio State, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfIUGF9-S6Q

To your point, West Virginia has always been one the cutting edge of "corny" trends!

Old 10-03-2022, 05:03 AM

Final from Austin

Texas 38-20

and it wasn't really even this close. Texas completely dominated West Virginia, and the eers looked pathetic. Neal Brown's seat could fry some eggs right now!

Old 10-03-2022, 10:11 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Texas played pretty well, probably because the temperature was very moderate for the first time this season in Austin. I didn’t have to use my sweat rag at all since there was a decent breeze up in the stands.
Was surprised to see a near full stadium.
Texas fans are hearing rumors that Jimbo Fisher would like to make it back to Morgantown sometime.
I think it was based on a comment he made during an interview recently.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Texas played pretty well, probably because the temperature was very moderate for the first time this season in Austin. I didn’t have to use my sweat rag at all since there was a decent breeze up in the stands.
Was surprised to see a near full stadium.
Texas fans are hearing rumors that Jimbo Fisher would like to make it back to Morgantown sometime.
I think it was based on a comment he made during an interview recently.
We would love to have Jimbo in Motown, but could never afford him. Unless Jim Justice is writing the checks.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:50 AM

Week 7

Baylor (3-2)(1-1 conf) @ West Virginia (2-3)(0-2 conf)

Thursday // 7:00 PM Eastern/6:00 Central // FS1

All time series: 6-4 in favor of the EERS

Stripe the Stadium Game

Image Source: https://www.wvnews.com/bluegoldnews/...ccbe3ec5d.html

Game Overview:

The Mountaineers and Bears are both coming off bye weeks that were preceded by loses (WVU to Texas/Baylor to Oklahoma State). Baylor is the reigning conference champs, and despite 2 loses look capable of repeating. Their two loses have been to difficult teams (BYU/OSU), and they have been competitive. They feature a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, and like to grind teams down. West Virginia has the potential to hang up some points, but their defense couldn't stop a toddler.

Last years game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eenp3G0IBXk

Uniforms:

Blue Helmets
Gold Jerseys
Blue Pants

My Prediction:

The Mounties are looking for a bounce back, and Neal Brown cannot afford to lose. For starters, he is on the verge of starting 0-3 in conference during his 4th year. He has asked people to "trust the climb" but from every angle (apart from recruiting) the team has been in a decline since his arrival. Second, the EERS are playing at home, for a night game, in front of a large crowd. If he cannot figure out how to win in those circumstances during his 4th year, then the dude has no business coaching in Morgantown! West Virginia is 5-0 vs Baylor at home. That includes us being the only team to beat the #4 Bears in 2014 (41-27), the season that they were snubbed from going to the Playoff.

All that to say, this is a must win for the Mountaineers! The pressure is enough to force results I believe. The offense can sling it when they want to. The defense will be playing in front of the home crowd, which might generate the necessary fire to get some stops.

Score Prediction:

West Virginia 30 - Baylor 24

Lets's Goooo!!!!

Old 10-14-2022, 04:55 AM

Mountaineers upset the Bears, 43-40!!!

That was an exciting game with big plays, key turnovers, and momentum swings back and forth all night!!!

Old 10-15-2022, 08:19 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Good job, Mountaineers!

Old 10-20-2022, 11:28 AM

Week 8

West Virginia (3-3)(1-2 conf) @ Texas Tech (3-3)(1-2 conf)

Saturday // 3:30 PM Eastern/2:30 Central // FS1

All time series: 6-5 in favor of the Mighty Mounts!

"The John Denver Bowl"
https://www.smokingmusket.com/2022/1...roads-football

Game Overview:

Texas Tech has owned Neal Brown since he took over as HC of the EERS in 2019. This season needs to be different! With that being said, the Red Raiders are genuinely a good team. They play great offense, and decent defense. It doesn't matter who is slinging the rock for Tech, all their QBs are good. They have played well this season, and have gone toe to toe with Kansas State and Okie State. They also upset Texas, while WVU got crushed by them! Needless tp say, this is a difficult challenge for the Mountaineers. They will need to bring their very best if they hope to fly out of Lubbock with a DUB.

Last years game:

Texas Tech 23-20

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2RAOcOwP1U

Uniforms:

Unknown at this point, but my prediction is:
Gold Helmets
White Jerseys
Gold Pants

My Prediction:

I am expecting a shootout in West Texas! Both teams have offenses that can score and pick apart opposing defenses. I believe that Tech as the advantage being at home, their familiarity with the strong winds, and their defenses is better. However, I think that the Mountaineers are going to be looking to take care of business. JT Daniels has yet to have that signature game, and I can see this one being the one. West Virginia will have a 3-headed monster in the run game, and the wide outs are finally starting to hit their stride. Tech will certainly be able to score on our defense, but it will come down to who has the ball last.

Fun times to be in the Big 12!

Score Prediction:

West Virginia 48 - Texas Tech 46

Lets's Goooo!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football