Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 01:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
CC's are interesting in that they attract many different types of people. The ones you are complaining about are the HS kids who don't have a clue what they want to do with life, can't get work that pays much, and can only continue living at home with their parents as long as they are "doing something". Yeah, they aren't interested in school they just don't have many other choices. There is a subset among them of kids who don't belong in college at all, a probably didn't do well in HS either, but since they usually are involved in special programs that pays their costs it's what they do. These are probably the fastest growing group of students and why you notice a decline in quality.

I agree that the ones looking for certification are probably the most serious students. As are the ones trying to save a few $$ by knocking out their GE requirements before transfering to a 4 year. And then there are the adults who need to brush up or just want to better themselves, they are fun. I know, I'm one of them!

For the record, Community is currently my favorite TV show
Great post Ceece.

Advice to the OP: Have you got Armed Forces veterans in your classes? Teach to them! Most of them have a lot of life experience. Many of them are returning to school after tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are older. Many have wives and kids and they know what an education will mean. For many a CC education will be all they can get for a variety of reasons.

They're more mature mentally and, if you are a decent teacher, they will respond . (Abut 40% of students who use the GI Bill attend CCs.) Most veterans are VERY serious about their education.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:42 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I commend you on pulling together and getting on a good track. Many students do not do this. And they have nothing to show for all the time and money they spend.
Getting on the right track? Like I said I got into the current #14 school & the current #38 school. I received 15k in funding from each. Which would have put me 120k in debt upon graduation. (Got into every school I applied to)

You keep trying to make the point that people at top Uni's are getting funding for academic excellence......which one's are they? When everyone applying to Harvard has a 1400+ SAT and a near perfect HS GPA who gets the funding?

It is almost all need based funding....so I commend you for being in the need based group. My parents had the money, but it is there money, not mine. They said they would pay 10k/year and no more. I made the wise decision. You can knock me all you want, great for you...you go to Princeton.

I lol at getting on the right track. Apparently choosing a non-Ivy to avoid mountains of debt is being on the wrong track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
AAU membership is the obvious thing to check. Plenty of other institutions can provide an excellent education, but the most consistently recognized make up the AAU membership.
Damn......my crap education is on there.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
The last time unemployment was this high in the the last 40 years was in 1982 at 10.8%, within one year it dropped to under 8%

We are facing almost 3 years of 9+% unemployment with no end in sight...

So... why do you think this generation has it easier again?
Listen, I'm really not trying to stray from the original poster's subject. He talked about CC students not being "worth a dam!" I merely was pointing out that it isn't entirely their fault. Consider this:

I recently finished a graduate program after being away from school for over 10 years. I can tell you, that plagiarism is so bad, that most universities now scan entire papers because most students don't write their own stuff! I was appalled by the lack of trust that has now invaded our universities. This isn't because school is "harder" or life is "harder," this is because now, students expect an A just for showing up! Now, when they don't receive it, they cheat. And boy is it easy to cheat nowadays.

When was the last time a millennial went to the library? They don't have to...from Wikipedia, Encyclopedias online, Dictionary.com, you name it, and you know what....they still can't spell, or write a cohesive sentence! Every bit of knowledge is at their fingertips, they were BORN into this "new" techno world. They know no different.

Books are now delivered online, references are automatically formatted for you with the right software or online library catalog, and, to make matters even more easier, even applying to school is done online...you can spellcheck and grammar check your work in one sitting, hit mamma or papa up for their debit/credit card, pay the fee, click submit, and bingo - application submitted, just in time to catch Twilight at the movies!

Now let's talk about the dreaded job search...formerly known as "pounding the pavement." Now, you build a profile on multiple sites and the jobs come to you in your mailbox if they fit your profile, or, you interview at school with a campus recruiter and they do all the work from there if you're hired.

Finally, let's talk about social skills...maybe not. It's just too long of a discussion.

My point is, regardless of unemployment being high right now, every generation has their "bad years" "times of darkness," whatever, you had the Great Depression, the oil rations of the 70s, the dot com bust, recessions and surpluses, you name it; but THIS generation has the most tools and access to knowledge than ANY previous one, and yet they still can't get it together...coddling at its best my friend!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Is it slavery that all children are required to attend school, either public, private, or home?

Is it slavery when an 18-year old is drafted?
Those comparisons are hardly relevant.

At a school you learn, and no harm is done.

In the army you could be killed-- the greatest harm possible.

I'd say in something such as "slavery" harm is caused.

And some people would classify a draft as slavery to ones government-- and they may not be wrong.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Getting on the right track? Like I said I got into the current #14 school & the current #38 school. I received 15k in funding from each. Which would have put me 120k in debt upon graduation. (Got into every school I applied to)

You keep trying to make the point that people at top Uni's are getting funding for academic excellence......which one's are they? When everyone applying to Harvard has a 1400+ SAT and a near perfect HS GPA who gets the funding?

It is almost all need based funding....so I commend you for being in the need based group. My parents had the money, but it is there money, not mine. They said they would pay 10k/year and no more. I made the wise decision. You can knock me all you want, great for you...you go to Princeton.

I lol at getting on the right track. Apparently choosing a non-Ivy to avoid mountains of debt is being on the wrong track.
You're right, that came out wrong.

Btw, I wasn't in the need-based group. I finished school after I was independent from my parents, and my income alone is above $250,000 --which isn't a high income in NJ (I initially left school to start a business). I got my education paid by Xerox research grants. The only way they would let me rejoin after leaving is if I brought in some grants for them. Otherwise, they have a policy of not letting dropouts back in.

There's nothing wrong with going to Princeton.

Last edited by NJBest; 11-30-2011 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 01:53 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:

Is it slavery when an 18-year old is drafted?
Yes, plain and simple. "Conscription is a form of slavery." -- U. S. President Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 11-30-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM

Default Slow down there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Absolutely correct. I don't know why people say the kinds of things Jaded just wrote. I guess facts don't matter to those people.
Because we know of what we speak.

Quote:
Fact: 10+ years ago, it was much easier to get into a good college. Just look at the big decreases in acceptance rates concurrent with the increases in average SAT scores of admitted students.
Fact: When most HS students have 3.8 GPAs or higher and almost every one of them is in AP or IB classes, that's when acceptance rates decrease...a campus can only hold so many students. The rise in SAT scores is reflective of advanced learning and the fact that the test does change to each generation's learning curve. One has nothing to do with the other. Everyone cannot go to an Ivy league!

It wasn't easier to get into a good college 10 years ago: 1) not everyone and their brother was applying; 2) grades weren't inflated; and 3) there weren't as many international students filling up the empty seats.

Quote:
Fact: Used to be you could get a good full time job without an internship. Now, it's almost expected you had an internship. What, no internship? What a loser.
You don't need an internship to get a good full-time job, you need social skills, technical skills, and common sense. You can't Google that! No seriously, this really depends on one's field. Internships vary by industry, this is nothing new.

Quote:
I'd be in big trouble if I had been born 10 years later.
No, you would have adapted to a new era.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:06 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Because we know of what we speak.

Fact: When most HS students have 3.8 GPAs or higher and almost every one of them is in AP or IB classes, that's when acceptance rates decrease...a campus can only hold so many students. The rise in SAT scores is reflective of advanced learning and the fact that the test does change to each generation's learning curve. One has nothing to do with the other. Everyone cannot go to an Ivy league!
I don't think you understand. Let's compare apples to apples. 2 people: Each has the same class rank and SAT percentile scores. Each has the same extracurriculars. One applies to an Ivy in 1995. The other applies to an Ivy in 2010. Guess what? The one who applies in 2010 has it much harder due to more competition (i.e. more other applicants and those applicants are on average more successful than those back in 1995).

That's a fact looking at the numbers. Similar concept when you apply it to the job market. It's simple math. It's a much more competitive world out there for young people these days.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Why don't we steer this back to discussing students at community college. We've gone on all sorts of topics including slavery.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:14 PM

^^ LOL! So true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities