Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 AM

412 posts, read 684,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Must have been a liberal arts major.

I suppose the six figure income basket weavers are the rule?

Would you mind posting a few Linkedin links to some professional basket weavers?
Actually there are STEM majors within liberal arts colleges. First was a science major then two non STEM liberal arts degrees.
I won't go through linked in but here are some I just googled.
Teri Rofkar | Alaskan Native Artist and Basket Weaver
Nadine Spier * Fiber Artist
Tim Johnson - Basketmaking

Wasn't that hard to do even non STEM people can figure out how to work the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 AM

151 posts, read 424,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
I won't go through linked in but here are some I just googled.
You mean you couldn't find any.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 AM

412 posts, read 684,353 times
Quote:
You mean you couldn't find any.
No I meant what I said - I didn't look.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:52 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Quote:
You do realize that the majority of basket weaving is done by factory workers in China, right? And those factory worker positions not only don't require a basket weaving degree, they don't require any form of formal education what-so-ever.

And why would you need a basket weaving degree to start a basket weaving company? Did bill gates have a software engineering degree? How about Zuckerberg, Michael Dell, Larry Page, Sergey Brin, or Steve Jobs?

Are you seriously going to argue that someone needs a four year degree to weave baskets? Or that such a degree is going to open up any kind of career opportunities?
Ah yes, the bulletproof "Steve Jobs didn't graduate!" argument. Here's the thing, all of those guys you mentioned are once in a generation entrepreneuers/visionaries and are outliers. Their IQs are in the top .00001% of the curve. 99.99999% of people aren't going to start the next great software innovation company at 20 and need some sort of education to get into the workforce.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I agree. College is for career advancement. You can learn for free.
You can go to college for free.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:56 PM

56 posts, read 121,478 times
Is a Masters degree in Biology worthless?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
We all need to do our part to ensure that they don't waste time or money pursuing worthless degrees
We need to not be so narrow minded and obtuse, and realize that the world needs art teachers, social workers and librarians.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:22 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We need to not be so narrow minded and obtuse, and realize that the world needs art teachers, social workers and librarians.
Exactly. And that's putting it nicely.

I think students should definitely be aware of their options, college or not, certain majors or not, however calling certain ones useless just reeks of someone's jilted agenda.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Most people that go to college will end up paying a substantial amount for housing and tuition. Why would anyone pay all that money if not for career advancement?

If you want to learn, simply for the sake of learning, there are many free routes that one could take, including auditing college courses.
Auditing college courses won't help you really learn what you learn in college however. Since most of the education occurs outside of the classes, you're really just setting yourself up to be less educated. Which would be fine if that's what you want... but most people who go to college want an education.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I agree. College is for career advancement. You can learn for free.
But to get a higher education, you need to go to college. And not just to attend classes.

The good news is that you can go to college for free if you wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities