Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 04:34 PM

412 posts, read 684,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I hate idiotic threads such as this one. Most people without STEM degrees have gone on to have very good, high-paying careers. Heck, my degree was in English and, thirty years later, I will stack up my salary and career accomplishments up against any of the people who, in college, told me "Pshaw, good luck with a degree in THAT." I have more fun and, chances are, I earn considerably more money.

I've always tried to understand the motivation behind the people who start these threads. Behind that preening self-congratulation has to be some really serious insecurity.
People who post threads like this also bring up all of those liberal arts degree holders who work at Starbucks. A barista job at Starbucks could lead to a higher salary/better position within Starbucks. So if they got the job due to a liberal arts degree who is say that the degree they have is worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 04:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
That's right. It's already June again. The month dedicated to spreading awareness of worthless degrees.
You really do need a hobby or other interests to get over this nonsense that you post.

Since you have a couple of degrees in science (or is it engineering?), I'd suggest something along those lines. Like maybe start a home project say counting a couple million molecules one by one. Or electrons if you choose. It would occupy your time and give you something useful to do.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Two STEM degrees AND a lack of critical thinking skills. Did you have to pay extra for that or did you get a partial refund?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 PM

151 posts, read 424,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Two STEM degrees AND a lack of critical thinking skills. Did you have to pay extra for that or did you get a partial refund?
Ad hominem

Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 AM

412 posts, read 684,923 times
Quote:
Well you hold yourself out as an authority on the subject of college education AND say you hold two degrees but yet post using absolutes which is somewhat indicative of the lack of critical thinking skills.
I don't think questioning your authority as well as your motives (for posting time and again on this very subject) is out of bounds.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Just because someone has a degree, doesn't mean they have an education.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Well you hold yourself out as an authority on the subject of college education AND say you hold two degrees but yet post using absolutes which is somewhat indicative of the lack of critical thinking skills.
I don't think questioning your authority as well as your motives (for posting time and again on this very subject) is out of bounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Just because someone has a degree, doesn't mean they have an education.
Guys. It's worthless degree awareness month. Get over it.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Guys. It's worthless degree awareness month. Get over it.
I think I mentioned this before. How can you have a month about something that doesn't absolutely exist? A more accurate celebration would be "inadequate degree month". Degree holders who didn't go to a top school in their field (MIT for engineering, for example) would get to celebrate.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A more accurate celebration would be "inadequate degree month". Degree holders who didn't go to a top school in their field (MIT for engineering, for example) would get to celebrate.
Interesting idea. What month did you have in mind? Maybe May, since that's when most people graduate.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:13 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,498,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I hate idiotic threads such as this one. Most people without STEM degrees have gone on to have very good, high-paying careers. Heck, my degree was in English and, thirty years later, I will stack up my salary and career accomplishments up against any of the people who, in college, told me "Pshaw, good luck with a degree in THAT." I have more fun and, chances are, I earn considerably more money.

I've always tried to understand the motivation behind the people who start these threads. Behind that preening self-congratulation has to be some really serious insecurity.
I have a worthless history degree and make very good money in one of the fastest growing professions. It's a good thing Wavelength wasn't around 10 years ago to tell me what a loser I would become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities