Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:07 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Wow. How come noone has pointed out that the biggest negative by far about the Springs is the religious right that runs it? If you take your kids to the park the other parents are talking about church, PERIOD. They glance at you smugly, as if proud of themselves for discovering this great religion, as if they are the only ones clever or priveleged enough to be in this club of theirs. You are smothered constantly by the church talk, its frankly repulsive and sad and a huge stain on this city. The "normal" people I know in the Springs joke about it all the time, and they all hate it. I would never have moved here had I known that it had zero diversity and zero tolerance for anything other than white ultra-right christians. Good riddance, so glad I'm leaving.

And dont forget how much they hate gays in the Springs, the mayor wont even endorse a gay parade because it doesnt represent what these bigots want for their city. My best friend in high school was a gay male, other wise I would not have survived it. Jesus would have never hated as much as these Springs people hate, really. Its sad. They hate , period. Im a white strait mom by the way, just not a bigot.
I don't know where you come from and I will look later but holy crap...your assesement of C Springs is all wrong.

yes, it's conservative via the amount of military in our city but youa re so wrong on what C springs is about.

I have lived here longer than many (not all) on this board. I am not a Christian, not a much of anything but a Libertarian.

I don't know where, and I should check your profile, you are from but C Springs is actually a pretty moderate city as more people move in here. yes the republican stronghold remains but overall you are sadly misguided.

C Springs may have "Focus on the Family" and other right wing christian organizations but C springs is hardly a part of what you might think as part of the bible belt of Texas, Ok, and other parts of the south. Colorado Springs, while mostly republican to my dismay...talked to a bunch of my family and others and while libertarian is inviting to them , they are afraid of voting that way...lame.

Anyhow you are sadly mis informed about C Springs. I have friends of all religions, those of off-beat sexual concerns and the like.

C Springs is mearly (sp) a shadow of Denver but it helps to know people here...but I am sick of people putting C springs in that light. Libertarians are more abundant here in my county than they are in most of the U.S. Go figure that Libertarianism started in Colorado.

While some of my fellow Libertarians are out there, many are as sane as the next-door housewife.

Regardless of my political leanings, the thing is, C Springs isn't a mecca of religious fanatics. I am not a Christian and my family are all Christian...go figure, perhaps I have an uber strong personality or whatever. I live within a 5 minute drive of Focus on the Family.

Whatever, you can believe what you want to believe but C Springs has a lot more positives than people are willing to admit.

I, personally, want to get out of town because I need a change but it has nothing to do with my religion or anything along those matters.

I haved lived in areas that are more my way of living and it wasn't the policital climate or the religious climate...it has always been about the geography. Go figure that. I wish I had the umph to get a geology degree...sadly I don't think that's going to happen.

But don't poopoo C Springs as it's really a tolerable place to live. Hell I am a-non-mother-never-been-married-screw -my-oavaries-god-doesn't-rule-me.

I've seen it time and time again and I have friends that are not in the social Christian norm thrive here.

I have to make a statement here....I am so sick of C Springs being put down for all things that are anti-liberal but ther are more libertarians in C Springs than there are in most of the state and libertarians aren't about the moral right.

Anyhow, I am rambling and I apoligize. With that I am going to think about sleep now.

I hate the reputation my city has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Wow. How come noone has pointed out that the biggest negative by far about the Springs is the religious right that runs it? If you take your kids to the park the other parents are talking about church, PERIOD. They glance at you smugly, as if proud of themselves for discovering this great religion, as if they are the only ones clever or priveleged enough to be in this club of theirs. You are smothered constantly by the church talk, its frankly repulsive and sad and a huge stain on this city. The "normal" people I know in the Springs joke about it all the time, and they all hate it. I would never have moved here had I known that it had zero diversity and zero tolerance for anything other than white ultra-right christians. Good riddance, so glad I'm leaving.
A little exaggerated, a little harsh but true. Sure, there are brainwashed religious people here but their activities aren't enough to make me want to move. I take them about as seriously as someone who believes in Santa Claus. So they're delusional but they really aren't hurting anyone. I have compassion for the mentally ill. I just look at the big picture. Now, if there were no jobs, really bad traffic, expensive housing, then I would consider leaving. If people think local COS politics are bad, they should acquaint themselves with Mayor Antonio and his band of political hustlers in LA.

When doing a Sperlings comparison between Los Angeles and Colorado Springs I found this very surprising metric:

Percent Religious
Colorado Springs 37.10%
Los Angeles 58.08%
United States 50.03%

Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 AM

641 posts, read 2,277,049 times
wow, I don't know where everyone lives, but I've never been mobbed by a group of Christians.

It's not like you can tell what someone believes by looking at them. I live my life day in, day out, and no one bothers me. I do my thing, and they do theirs. I guess I'm completely unaffected by what others believe or don't believe and yet there are some that seem to be totally enraged by others with different beliefs. Who cares?

Honestly, I think I'd rather live in a town where there is a large population of spritual people, no matter what their beliefs. It makes me worry a lot less about random crime. I know a bunch of devout Christians probably aren't going to be the ones who rob me at gunpoint, but they would probably be the ones to lend a hand if I ever needed it.

And why is it that there are a handful of people who absolutely hate it here, but keep coming here to post nothing but negative things?? Some people will only be happy in their own hometown. Everywhere else in the world is sub-par.

Here's a suggestion...find your favorite city on the forum and sing the glories of that place.

If you hate it here, leave; that's the beauty of living in a free country, eh?.......good riddance!

Last edited by Terytee; 08-08-2007 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 AM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
The point of this forum is to let others know what its like, the good and the bad. Would it occur to most Americans that COSP is so right wing and religious? Probably not, and it is very frustrating if you are a mom who wants her kids to have friends but GASP all they talk about is Jesus, or if you are just a human who wishes they had someone else to talk to. I regularly have men in big Dodge Rams trying to run me off the road (I have an anti-Bush bumper sticker) yet that all stops as soon as I get to Denver. You go figure that. Like I said, had I known I wouldnt have moved here, and yes, good riddance to this place.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 AM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
Charles that was hilarious, I will think of it as a Santa Claus thing from now on....

Old 08-08-2007, 04:59 PM

25 posts, read 123,961 times
Quote:

And dont forget how much they hate gays in the Springs, the mayor wont even endorse a gay parade because it doesnt represent what these bigots want for their city. My best friend in high school was a gay male, other wise I would not have survived it. Jesus would have never hated as much as these Springs people hate, really. Its sad. They hate , period. Im a white strait mom by the way, just not a bigot.
I'm not sure where you hang out, but I never heard anything but maybe a minor reference to church or religion in non-religious situations. I've cannot even begin to say that I've been smothered by church talk anywhere ever in this town and as far as it being a huge stain to this city, I don't know if you are even in the same city because that is simply not true. I'm agnostic and the statements you make I have never experienced in 29 years of living here. I know CS has many church orginizations, but its always a surprise to me because I've never experienced such things that you stating. For being such a church town, it is amazingly tolerate (try rural Geogia sometime). The "normal" people in CS. What is normal? I don't even know what that means. CS people are not haters, they're generally tolerant. Maybe your character just brings bad people around you. Maybe the mayor won't endorse a gay parade because those are his convictions. Not that I agree with him, but he is a republican conservative, what do you expect. At least he stands by his beliefs. The parade went on with out him anyways, so who cares what Lionel Rivera thinks. What I find sad is your CS hate filled glasses that you're wearing and then propagating that CS is bad city. Your glad that your leaving, people like myself are glad that you are leaving too. It's people like you who are spreading false negativity about the city. Leave, please leave!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
I don't know where you come from and I will look later but holy crap...your assesement of C Springs is all wrong.

yes, it's conservative via the amount of military in our city but youa re so wrong on what C springs is about.

I have lived here longer than many (not all) on this board. I am not a Christian, not a much of anything but a Libertarian.

I don't know where, and I should check your profile, you are from but C Springs is actually a pretty moderate city as more people move in here. yes the republican stronghold remains but overall you are sadly misguided.

C Springs may have "Focus on the Family" and other right wing christian organizations but C springs is hardly a part of what you might think as part of the bible belt of Texas, Ok, and other parts of the south. Colorado Springs, while mostly republican to my dismay...talked to a bunch of my family and others and while libertarian is inviting to them , they are afraid of voting that way...lame.

Anyhow you are sadly mis informed about C Springs. I have friends of all religions, those of off-beat sexual concerns and the like.

C Springs is mearly (sp) a shadow of Denver but it helps to know people here...but I am sick of people putting C springs in that light. Libertarians are more abundant here in my county than they are in most of the U.S. Go figure that Libertarianism started in Colorado.

While some of my fellow Libertarians are out there, many are as sane as the next-door housewife.

Regardless of my political leanings, the thing is, C Springs isn't a mecca of religious fanatics. I am not a Christian and my family are all Christian...go figure, perhaps I have an uber strong personality or whatever. I live within a 5 minute drive of Focus on the Family.

Whatever, you can believe what you want to believe but C Springs has a lot more positives than people are willing to admit.

I, personally, want to get out of town because I need a change but it has nothing to do with my religion or anything along those matters.

I haved lived in areas that are more my way of living and it wasn't the policital climate or the religious climate...it has always been about the geography. Go figure that. I wish I had the umph to get a geology degree...sadly I don't think that's going to happen.

But don't poopoo C Springs as it's really a tolerable place to live. Hell I am a-non-mother-never-been-married-screw -my-oavaries-god-doesn't-rule-me.

I've seen it time and time again and I have friends that are not in the social Christian norm thrive here.

I have to make a statement here....I am so sick of C Springs being put down for all things that are anti-liberal but ther are more libertarians in C Springs than there are in most of the state and libertarians aren't about the moral right.

Anyhow, I am rambling and I apoligize. With that I am going to think about sleep now.

I hate the reputation my city has.

COFlower, I'm glad there is someone else out there that thinks like I do and and backs it up with years of experience of living in CS and not speculation. "Sadly misinformed" so describes this person. Thanks for setting the record straight!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
If you hate it here, leave; that's the beauty of living in a free country, eh?.......good riddance!
My sentaments exactly. Good riddance and peace!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 PM

[quote=MorningGlory;1235022]Would it occur to most Americans that COSP is so right wing and religious? QUOTE]

Well if I was looking at a strange city and the city was largely built off of the military historical and currently there are 5 military bases in town, hmmm, I might think....conservative. Conservative = right wing.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 PM

9 posts, read 66,939 times
Hi. New here, but....maybe if none of you agree with what people think of this city you should speak out next time Rivera uses FOTFs values to represent the city's? Never hear of any outcry about his thoughts/behavior. Never hear people publicly or loudly complaining about how Colorado Springs ISNT represented by FOTF. Didn't hear anyone complaining that Rivera didnt support that parade. And you dont have to be gay to support gay rights, either. What we allow to represent us will represent us, and my 11 years of living here support Morningglories experiences more than COflower or CoolColoradodays, sorry. Kind of make me wonder where YOU hang out. Seems like maybe people wouldn't be getting so angry and defensive if it wasnt true. Maybe you want people to NOT notice what is so obvious, despite being such a beautiful town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs