Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times

Advertisements

I like the slogan, fits great for our city. It will be interesting to see how they use this in TV advertising, hopefully similar to what California and Michigan do in our market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
Woodland Park: "The City Above The Clouds". Divide, CO: "Center of the Known Universe". Maybe the Springs "Live It Up" refers to its altitude over Denver and Pueblo? How about they Give It Up instead?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Terrible.

Not that the slogan is awful, but what kind of idiot pays 100k for a slogan? Terrible. The voters should have a motto of "Give it back", where we demand our money back when they fail to earn it. That's the motto I take with other businesses. I buy what I need, and if they fail to deliver I take the money back. If they have a problem, I decline charges to my card.

Really... "live it up"... I might change my mind, it might really be that awful. How about "Be financially responsible" or "TABOR FTW". (ftw is internet for "for the win") Nothing like encouraging people to blow their savings on crap they don't need--which is what this slogan says to me. Yet another government failure. For anyone thinking this is a good idea, no, they could not have came up with any slogan that I would value at 100k. Not even for 100k of other people's money.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,469,422 times
Check out who actually paid for most of it:

Public Hammers New Colorado Springs Image Video - News Story - KRDO Colorado Springs

Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,318 times
Just out of curiosity I just did an Internet search on "Live it Up" to see what's out there. Among a number of song lyrics and other things, "Live it Up" is also the name of "A gay-themed bicoastal personal journal hosted by Wes Stone in San Diego and Daniel Brewer in Columbia, S.C." (liveitupthepodcast.com). They even have their own logo. Once Mayor Bach learns this, my prediction is he'll retire that slogan and PR campaign in a New York minute.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times
Now THAT'S funny. I think COS might be just a tiny bit to conservative. RP

Last edited by proveick; 11-17-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 01:24 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Thanks for that link. You get some rep points

It's interesting to see that they said tax money wasn't used, except for the lodging and rental tax. If that tax did not exist, hotels and car renters could charge more, which could be used to fund higher salaries for the employees (yeah right) or at least reinvested into the community. I'm glad they weren't using sales/property tax, but it still smells like a terrible way to spend money. I would've liked a more clear cut response about what the private donors were. I have a hard time believing someone is smart enough (or even lucky enough) to amass some serious wealth and then says to him or herself.... "Man, I really want to donate a hundred grand to get a stupid slogan".

Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,318 times
How about these city slogans (these are real, no kidding)? "Less Government is Good Government." Perfect for CS' prevailing sensibilities, but already taken. Belongs to Clarkson Valley, Missouri. "Just do it," (not Beaverton Oregon where Nike is located, but Pensacola, FL). One of my favorites: "Don't Pass Gas, Stop and Enjoy it." Town of Gas, Allen County, Kansas.

There's really only one slogan I can think of that really works: "What happens here, stays here," How many other slogans immediately identify the city, without even saying it? Truly brilliant marketing... but even Vegas has been considering a different slogan for a few years now. Thankfully, they're keeping this one, at least for a while longer.

Most city slogans are as banal as "Live it Up!" (Gaack, I can barely stand to type it). Also agree with the other posters that the video was truly the amateur hour. Very poor production values. All I could think of while I was watching it was they're trying to market this as a haven for those needing assisted living (and I'm approaching that demographic!). Absolutely nothing inspiring about it. IMO they missed the mark all the way around. Certainly not too late to admit it's a mistake and start over. Hold a contest (like other cities do) for a new slogan. Hire a local artist to design a logo that doesn't look like it was cobbled together from some "clip art" web site and come up with something that actually identifies with the city. At the very least, incorporate the Olympic rings. I believe we paid for the rights to use the rings in promoting the city. Also, consider using the AFA. In addition to the area's natural beauty, our ties to the Olympics and the AFA make CS truly unique, and give us an identity that no other city can match. Why were they not incorporated?

Last edited by Carrera32; 11-17-2011 at 02:18 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Now, I'm not a highly-paid consultant, but my general sense from simply being alive in America for several decades as an adult is that unless these slogans are either funny or charmingly self-deprecating or both, they're utterly worthless. The Las Vegas slogan is funny and accurately depicts the slimy behavior/experiences many (though not all) go to Vegas to experience. The best city slogan I've EVER seen was on a road-sign as I once drove into Oxnard, CA (just south of Ventura) that read: "Oxnard, not just another pretty name."

The powers that be in CO Springs are, I suspect, too priggish to ever come up with (or agree to) something both funny and charmingly self-deprecating.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post

Most city slogans are as banal as "Live it Up!" (Gaack, I can barely stand to type it). Also agree with the other posters that the video was truly the amateur hour. Very poor production values. All I could think of while I was watching it was they're trying to market this as a haven for those needing assisted living (and I'm approaching that demographic!). Absolutely nothing inspiring about it. IMO they missed the mark all the way around. Certainly not too late to admit it's a mistake and start over. Hold a contest (like other cities do) for a new slogan. Hire a local artist to design a logo that doesn't look like it was cobbled together from some "clip art" web site and come up with something that actually identifies with the city. At the very least, incorporate the Olympic rings. I believe we paid for the rights to use the rings in promoting the city. Also, consider using the AFA. In addition to the area's natural beauty, our ties to the Olympics and the AFA make CS truly unique, and give us an identity that no other city can match. Why were they not incorporated?
Yes, this is an embarrassment. Couldn't even finish the video.

Absolutely agree that it's not too late to admit the mistake and start over with local artists/designers/creatives. I sincerely hope they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs