Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jenn View Post
I complimented a cashier yesterday because she had pretty eye make-up and she literally looked at me disgusted, as if I didn't have a right to talk to her.
I have a feeling that was just your perception - she was probably just busy or didn't hear you or something - but of course I wasn't there.

I usually get plenty of friendly waves from passing strangers on the road, in shops and especially on the trail. But then again i am rarely IN the Springs proper.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I like the Springs but I'll admit that I was disappointed with downtown when I first visited.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 PM

13 posts, read 43,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I have a feeling that was just your perception - she was probably just busy or didn't hear you or something - but of course I wasn't there.

I usually get plenty of friendly waves from passing strangers on the road, in shops and especially on the trail. But then again i am rarely IN the Springs proper.
No. She looked at me and offered a monotone "thanks" and went right back to doing her job. Could have been a bad day for all I know and not personal. But this is the disadvantage of retail work - every bad attitude you have towards a customer IS personal.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jenn View Post
No. She looked at me and offered a monotone "thanks" and went right back to doing her job. Could have been a bad day for all I know and not personal. But this is the disadvantage of retail work - every bad attitude you have towards a customer IS personal.
True, but don't you think, "(she)...looked at me disgusted, as if I didn't have a right to talk to her," is stretching it a bit? Besides, why judge an entire city on one cashier's bad day? What sort of vibe do you think your own attitude is giving off? Maybe there's a reason people aren't being very friendly to you...

Old 01-21-2009, 03:03 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Maybe she's pretty and has a life and the other girls are jealous.

Good point, Tree.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,172,276 times
What Turns Me Off Most about Colorado Springs:

1) It became quite evident during the pre-election months around Briargate regarding the mental health of many folks. It's understandable that 95% of the election signs was for McCain, but why the defacing of Obama signs and even threats? I was walking with my boy and his fellow Academy International Elementary School classmates on the Oktoberfest Day, and one of his classmates suddenly blurted out that he'd like to "burn down that house" while pointing at the house with an Obama sign. A couple of weeks later, my boy came home from school one day and reported to me that one of his classmates told the class that he'd like to see Obama assassinated, and that his teacher didn't do anything about it in spite of the fact that she heard the statement. Now, I don't think that young elementary school boys would have come up with such "values" without the guidance of their parents. Needless to say, I was just shocked.

2) When I first moved here from CA and AZ, the very first thing that irritated me was the road design. Getting in and out of many businesses was so poorly designed that I often don't visit them unless I absolutely have to. If you miss a left turn by accident, you often have to drive miles before you can make a U-turn. When the gasoline price was skyrocketing, you really feel the stupidity of the road design even more. The latest examples: just visit the new Costco and other businesses around there. You'll often find just ONE entrance and exit point. Incredible... During winter season, the road safety maintenance is minimal by the city. It's pathetic to see a car accident or two on average driving to work on icy roads.

3) Lack of excellent restaurants. The only good thing about this is that we don't eat out as often, so it saves us money.

4) Schools, particularly in Briargate, are generally all pretty good in terms of academics, but there's hardly any diversity to speak of. The Academy International School where my boy goes to has 100% white teachers and white staff with the only exception being the janitors who are black. I don't know why the school has the word, "International" in it... Actually, it's kinda funny.

5) High and dry altitude can cause some minor or major health issues. My 11 old boy has developed sinus problems, while I developed rapid heart beats also known as arrhythmia. Because of these health issues, we'll be moving to the Seattle area sometime in the near future.

What I Dig about Colorado Springs:

1) Great, sunny weather almost year round.

2) Housing is relatively cheaper by comparison to other places around the country.

3) Pretty safe neighborhood, particularly Briargate.

4) Garden of the Gods and other attractions in easy access.

5) Excellent place to raise kids with lot of kids-friendly activities.

Last edited by SYS; 01-21-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
What Turns Me Off Most about Colorado Springs:

1) It became quite evident during the pre-election months around Briargate regarding the mental health of many folks. It's understandable that 95% of the election signs was for McCain, but why the defacing of Obama signs and even threats? I was walking with my boy and his fellow Academy International Elementary School classmates on the Oktoberfest Day, and one of his classmates suddenly blurted out that he'd like to "burn down that house" while pointing at the house with an Obama sign. A couple of weeks later, my boy came home from school one day and reported to me that one of his classmates told the class that he'd like to see Obama assassinated, and that his teacher didn't do anything about it in spite of the fact that she heard the statement. Now, I don't think that young elementary school boys would have come up with such "values" without the guidance of their parents. Needless to say, I was just shocked.

2) When I first moved here from CA and AZ, the very first thing that irritated me was the road design. Getting in and out of many businesses was so poorly designed that I often don't visit them unless I absolutely have to. If you miss a left turn by accident, you often have to drive miles before you can make a U-turn. When the gasoline price was skyrocketing, you really feel the stupidity of the road design even more. The latest examples: just visit the new Costco and other businesses around there. You'll often find just ONE entrance and exit point. Incredible... During winter season, the road safety maintenance is minimal by the city. It's pathetic to see a car accident or two on average driving to work on icy roads.

3) Lack of excellent restaurants. The only good thing about this is that we don't eat out as often, so it saves us money.

4) Schools, particularly in Briargate, are generally all pretty good in terms of academics, but there's hardly any diversity to speak of. The Academy International School where my boy goes to has 100% white teachers and white staff with the only exception being the janitors who are black. I don't know why the school has the word, "International" in it... Actually, it's kinda funny.

What I Dig about Colorado Springs:

1) Great weather almost year round.

2) Housing is relatively cheaper by comparison to other places around the country.

3) Pretty safe neighborhood, particularly Briargate.

4) Garden of the Gods and other attractions in easy access.
Well said.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM

77 posts, read 305,567 times
After 2 years here now, I have to say I do not always like the weather. In fact, I do miss more gray and rainy days and the green, lushes vegetation that comes with it. The brown dry grass everywhere looks so depressing to me.

I also dislike seeing the crime rate going up so much lately. Shootings, home invasions...it's getting a little to wild for my taste.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
I am often a critic of the Springs, as most of you know, but on the restaurant front I have to disagree. For its size the Pikes Peak region has some great restaurants including the states only 5 diamond restaurant, the Penrose Room at the Broadmore.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
After 2 years here now, I have to say I do not always like the weather. In fact, I do miss more gray and rainy days and the green, lushes vegetation that comes with it. The brown dry grass everywhere looks so depressing to me.

I also dislike seeing the crime rate going up so much lately. Shootings, home invasions...it's getting a little to wild for my taste.
I have lived in many other places including over 20 different states and 6 foreign countries. Compared to other med/large cities in the US (over 500,000 area population) the Springs still has lower average crime. Heck, the shootings in the Springs all last year are about the same for one month in Kansas City!

Pogo, I guess you've lived in a few other places as well but, some folks who comment on the Springs have only lived on one place their whole life (eg. Pueblo) and seem to see the world as Pueblo vs. Springs! They also tend to frequent the Springs city-data forum to constantly harp how things are improving in Pueblo and going down in the Springs!? Personally, after living all over, I find Colorado Springs a wonderful place to live.

The crime stats for Colorado Springs show the Springs at a crime index of 397.6 which is not bad for a city of its populaiton. (compare Pueblo at 514.8 or Kansas City, KS at 638.0 or Kansas City, MO at 798.6 or St. Louis, MO at 1158.6)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs