Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is a good example of why we need civil unions/ gay marriage in Colorado. If a person is in a accident and it taken to the nearest hospital then they might not have a choice as to what hospital they go to. Sometimes the only way their partner could visit them if they are gay is if they are married or in a civil union and in this situation, even if it is a religiously ran hospital, while I agree with the separation of church and state in some instances they should not be allowed to hide behind religion especially when peoples lives are at stake or the chance of seeing their loved one for the last time before he or she dies.
I guess the example would be if a gay person were unconscious and taken to a Catholic hospital. His or her partner shows up and they refuse to let the partner see their unconsious partner, make any decisions, etc. If the Catholic hospital serves the general public, then they need to comply with an anti-discrimination law, which would obviously be needed to protect gay people in cases like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
At a percentage, I think you're far more likely in Colorado to have a decent, church-going family than either a same-sex couple or a marijuana-smoking person as your neighbor. That's especially true in Denver's suburbs and El Paso County.

Thanks for the insult Nice to know there are people who think my family isn't "decent". And no, we don't smoke pot!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Seems we've about run out of any Colorado-specific aspects and are going sideways into the larger issues surrounding gay rights in-general.

Either we get back to discussing Colorado aspects or we close this thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Or at least put it on hold till the senate passes the bill then we might have something new to say or maybe even wait till May 1 when it becomes law.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I agree on the "more" part, but the gay marriage trend is absolutely part of societal disintegration.
Quote:
How did Jesus, Christianity and churches get into this? There are people of all faiths and atheists that recognise homosexual behavior as deviant and immoral.
Bideshi, again I will say that this is your opinion. All I can say is hopefully you do have have children that you are teaching this form of hate. We are not born to think hateful things. It's learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Agree to disagree. My theory is that hospitals can certainly decide to allow gay partners in the ICU if they want to--many already do. However, many hospitals are Catholic Hospitals, and thus do not recognize a gay partner. So, the government mandate forcing them to allow gay partners violates the hospitals' rights under the first amendment.
I actually can't agree to disagree. As others have pointed out, your "choice" of hospitals is often not a choice at all in traumatic situations. My husband is a nurse who has worked at several Catholic hospitals in many different states. I don't know for sure if he's had to turn away same sex partners in Colorado, but he has had to turn them away. It killed him to do that. He knew it was immoral to deny a loved one the chance to spend the last moments with their partner. It has nothing to do with government mandates. It's about humanity, compassion, and love. When the Catholic hospitals (or other hospitals) accept all patients regardless of faith, sexual orientation, etc. they should have to follow all anti-discrimination laws. This change to Colorado will absolutely ensure that.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Bideshi, again I will say that this is your opinion. All I can say is hopefully you do have have children that you are teaching this form of hate. We are not born to think hateful things. It's learned.

I actually can't agree to disagree. As others have pointed out, your "choice" of hospitals is often not a choice at all in traumatic situations. My husband is a nurse who has worked at several Catholic hospitals in many different states. I don't know for sure if he's had to turn away same sex partners in Colorado, but he has had to turn them away. It killed him to do that. He knew it was immoral to deny a loved one the chance to spend the last moments with their partner. It has nothing to do with government mandates. It's about humanity, compassion, and love. When the Catholic hospitals (or other hospitals) accept all patients regardless of faith, sexual orientation, etc. they should have to follow all anti-discrimination laws. This change to Colorado will absolutely ensure that.
I totally agree. I will never purposely go to any Catholic hospital, but in this case, I believe they should be forced to comply with the law. I honestly don't know what the law is right now, or if St. Anthony's in Denver turns away gay partners.

And then this just begs the question... why are churches in the hospital business? What do they get out of it? Do they make money?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
I agree on the "more" part, but the gay marriage trend is absolutely part of societal disintegration.
And of course you have evidence of this? I mean other than the hate-speak spewed by you and your cronies...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Bideshi is not representative of everyone who claims to be a Christian. As a Christian, while I do not encourage gay marriage, it's not my business to pass judgment or damn people to hell for wanting it either. Just as it's not my business to pass judgment on those who have had an abortion.

My concern is not even that GOD would pass judgment on those people. My concern is what kind of judgment God will pass on me. And since churches have no problem letting fat people (me-gluttony) or divorced people come through their doors, I don't really get why many won't welcome gay people or abortionists or anyone else who wishes to come. God is for everyone. God is the one who passes judgment on the good, the bad, and the ugly!!

RedSox, accusing conservatives and Christians in general of trampling over human rights puts you in the same category of lumping everyone in one group into necessarily holding the same views.

The God I worship is the same One who cares for you, too. So I pass no judgment on anyone. I believe we stand on common ground, in need of the same forgiveness and the same help as everyone around us.

So perhaps the real disappointment of civil unions is not that legally men or women may declare they have a partner of the same sex ---it is that I doubt many, if any, Churches would open their doors to allow a gay couple to join together before God. Because if you are going to deeply love some one, and wish to declare it to the world, it should be before God.
Churches do, and should, let gluttons and all sinners in the door. Christ came to save sinners, right? He came to save sinners. He didn't come to pat sinners on the back and tell them to keep on doing what they're doing, desepite the fact that what they're doing is seriously harming their souls. Remember what Christ told the adulterous woman? "Go and sin no more." And that is exactly the truly Christian message the Church proposes to our gay brothers and sisters. To sanctify such a union would be to condone something that is gravely disordered. Why would a Church that truly cares for souls condone something so harmful to souls?

And, regarding abortion, you are right that you have no right to condemn a soul to Hell for having one. But it is in every way your Christian duty to stand for the innnocent, unborn victims of that evil.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
Here in this big red state that has doesn't happen. But I am sure you'll disagree. My daughter has worked as a charge nurse in many hospitals in OKCity (Christian) and they do not turn away gays and they allow their partners in the room. The patient makes the call. Maybe, the hospital your husband works at the patient didn't want his partner in the room! Also, in this Big Red State I do not here all this hate-speech your talking about. If going to a Christian Hospital bugs you don't go.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I guess the example would be if a gay person were unconscious and taken to a Catholic hospital. His or her partner shows up and they refuse to let the partner see their unconsious partner, make any decisions, etc. If the Catholic hospital serves the general public, then they need to comply with an anti-discrimination law, which would obviously be needed to protect gay people in cases like this.
So it's not just about getting equal rights, but rather also running roughshod over the religious liberties of Catholic hospitals?

But it's never really been about the marriage rights, anyway, so much as social acceptance. I know that. And especially when you blitzkrieg religious rights in doing so, it's a disgrace--politically, morally, and also constitutionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado