Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:05 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,119 times

Advertisements

What city in Colorado has low cost of living? We are trying to find something that has at least around 1900 people and close to the mountains. We have to sell our house before we can move, and would like to check into some areas before we make up our minds. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks

Old 11-04-2006, 10:00 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
a low cost of living compared to what?

Old 11-04-2006, 10:50 PM

Average income in this area is around 30 to 35,000 a year, housing I guess you can get a really nice house between 80 to 100,000, taxes here are 282 every six months on a house that has 1200 sq ft. in a town the size of 1900.
We will be on a fixed income so we have to make sure of where we can move to. It will give you an idea what we are up against. Thanks

Old 11-07-2006, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 66,431 times
Default Affordable??? I dont think anything in colorado is

I understand what you are talking about yorkiemom, I am looking to move to colorado in July and just started looking at real estate. much of what i'm seeing is more than double the price of homes here in ohio. Like an old, trailer home for $60-80K what is up with that? I can buy a doublewide here in ohio for $20K I dont understand it. Ohio has over 11 million people and colorado has like 4 mil. does colorado not have suburbs or something? I understand there are a lot of rich people that want to live there and that's fine, but working class people need an affordable place to live too.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 PM

53 posts, read 267,903 times
I think the best course is to look at specific houses with a realtor. Chances are you will find something you will like or can live with. I bought 1500 sq ft on 2 acres in the mountains for $152,400 five years ago. There were pleanty of houses in town I could have had for similar, but we wanted more land and to be in the mountains. After doing various DIY projects the appraised value has gone up to $165,000. Not huge but in the right direction. I think if you Google for "xyz county" deed search you will find searchable databases that show the last sales price, taxes, and property info based on an address. I know it's there for Teller and El Paso counties.

I'm thinking now of moving in the next 3-5 years if anyone has long-term plans.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 PM

Yeah, I have been searching all over Colorado, even smaller areas, I really love it around Fort Collins, but have checked into Fountain, Canon City, Castle Rock, all high on housing, it is nuts.
I have also contacted numerous realtors and they have not sent anything my way as for the price we are trying to find. I was wondering if anyone from Colorado, was able to write, I haven't gotten much of a response from anyone.
I do know when you are out their visiting they are very friendly people, but was stumped as far as not getting any help here. I plan to keep on looking and if I still don't find anything by next June when my daughter gets out of school, I will drive out there and keep on looking because there is no turning back once I leave Minnesota, other then to move my belongings out there.
If anyone out there in Colorado can help, please answer my thread.
Maybe I am on the wrong sites or picking the wrong realtor, I thought Remaxx was the best but maybe not. If you live in Colorado and know of some place to check into let me know. I moving there no matter what.
Our house here is no mansion but it is a nice house and not no dump. So PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thanks

Old 11-07-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawetzel13 View Post
I understand what you are talking about yorkiemom, I am looking to move to colorado in July and just started looking at real estate. much of what i'm seeing is more than double the price of homes here in ohio. Like an old, trailer home for $60-80K what is up with that? I can buy a doublewide here in ohio for $20K I dont understand it. Ohio has over 11 million people and colorado has like 4 mil. does colorado not have suburbs or something? I understand there are a lot of rich people that want to live there and that's fine, but working class people need an affordable place to live too.
I am so glad that I am not alone. I hope we both find what we are searching for. It sounds like the cost of housing and the cost of living is about the same in Ohio as they are in Minnesota.
We need to hang in there, we have a few months to look yet, here's hoping that we both find something by next summer.
The bad thing is, we can't just drive right over to look at these houses when we live in a different state, also we can't run and look at one house, we need more choices, in case it is not the house we want. Oh well, had to get that off of my chest, I feel so much better now. Hope to hear from you soon.
If anyone wants to e-mail me anything send it to rdtbrandsoy@web-room.net. Thanks

Old 11-08-2006, 12:25 AM

642 posts, read 2,552,848 times
Ive saw great prices in Pueblo and like north of Montrose. Both opposite sides of the state ... Pueblo a little rougher but lots to do and near colorado springs... montrose not as much to do but safer and also beautiful and by the way really up and coming area I would jump on it now.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:32 AM

Thanks for all the help, we will check it out!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:01 AM

827 posts, read 5,080,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zawetzel13 View Post
Zawetzel13, I think the main reason Colorado's home prices are so high is until recently, very few people lived in Colorado, but in the last few years, it has been a free for all, so there isn't enough homes for the demand. They do have lots of suburbs in Colorado, especially around Denver. I know prices are high, but it is high in most of the west, just ask any Californian newlywed couple wanting to buy a home in California. They think Colorado is a bargain compared to there. You can find bargains, it just takes seaching. I would rent, for say at least 6 months, so that takes the pressure off on having to buy a more costly home right then. You can then have more time to find out about the best area, ask around where the besy buys are and best areas to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado