Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 AM

257 posts, read 327,914 times

Advertisements

Got a chance to check out Mast over the weekend. Great vibe, great activity, great inventory. I'm glad to have this store on Main Street and look forward to the positive changes it will bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
The City broke ground on the 6-floor parking garage at Taylor and Sumter this morning.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Headquartered on Main Street, First Citizens extends its reach across the state a little more and into Savannah with the acquisition of a failed bank.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The City broke ground on the 6-floor parking garage at Taylor and Sumter this morning.

Pretty cool. I didnt see a rending so I added the link below.. It actually looks like a parking garage masked as a building which is kinda neat and new for the City. As always... you gotta love the comment section especially around the concept of a bus shelter

Columbia breaks ground on parking garage - Business - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/07/1849191/city-breaks-ground-for-garage.html - broken link)

Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 AM

The bulldozer was loading the first dump truck load there before 8:30 this morning. They aren't playing around.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Pretty cool. I didnt see a rending so I added the link below.. It actually looks like a parking garage masked as a building which is kinda neat and new for the City. As always... you gotta love the comment section especially around the concept of a bus shelter

Columbia breaks ground on parking garage - Business - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/07/1849191/city-breaks-ground-for-garage.html - broken link)
Some brutal comments at the end of the article from State readers about the homeless situation on Main Street. Is this garage near a safe part of Main Street? Judging by the comments, seems many Columbians don't think so.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Some brutal comments at the end of the article from State readers about the homeless situation on Main Street. Is this garage near a safe part of Main Street? Judging by the comments, seems many Columbians don't think so.
Do residents in other cities in SC bash there downtowns like this???? Gotta Love Columbians from both sides of the river....

The new garage directly across from the Hospital and not in a "rough" part of town. The problem is that it is two blocks west of the Oliver Gospel Mission and about two blocks south of the often dispised Columbia City Bus Transfer Station. That alone gives people ammo to hate it.. All the claims about people getting robbed and jumped in parking garages are new to me...it may be more perception than reality.. but we know that perception IS reality for many It seems like if people even think something COULD happen then they are convinced that it will... "What would happen if I run into a bum in the stairwell or a thug on their way to the wig shop".... they think this as they walk through the garage.."Oh my god, I could get robbed..Oh my god its dangerous down here...if I ever make it out of here alive.... Im never coming down here again" .Now they are all worked up and all a bum has to do is look at them and they will run back to their car and head to their home feeling that they just flirted with disaster.

Seems to me though that the average homeless guy is either elderly or a drunk (no offense for the PC) Im no Rocky Balboa, but I am not going to fall to my knees and wallow in my own **** because a homeless guy/gal approaches me on the street or in a garage. People seem terrified of homeless people for some reason... Unless they are acting out (i.e. Crazy) they should fear me (us).. If we get into a scuffle and the Five O shows up.. who are they likely to believe and take to jail...I think I would be on my way to my car while the other is on their way Casa ala Bluff Road....lol but then again...jail may be where they want to go.. and I guess I may be no match for a broken bottle of Mad Dog 2020 used as a shank

Oh, I did hear that homeless guys over in Five Points have been killing drunk college kids and drinking their blood in order to get their fix.. so be careful over there...

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-07-2011 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Do residents in other cities in SC bash there downtowns like this???? Gotta Love Columbians from both sides of the river....
I read other cities online papers, and whenever "main" streets (areas of the city) are discussed, the comments in general seem much more positive. The negative comments on articles seems to be sort of a Columbia thing. That tells me though, the issue of the homeless on Main Street in Columbia is a real issue. If the city addresses the issue, cleans up Main, people feel safe, the comments I would think would turn positive.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM

The comments are from lazy people who never leave their computers to check out anything they can't drive up to and park in front of. The homeless issue is over. Downtown Columbia has a Homeless Helping Homeless group that keeps two blocks of downtown clean by routinely picking up trash and sweeping while helping their fellow man. The Nickelodeon Theater coordinated this mission if I'm not mistaken. Shut up about the homeless.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I read other cities online papers, and whenever "main" streets (areas of the city) are discussed, the comments in general seem much more positive. The negative comments on articles seems to be sort of a Columbia thing. That tells me though, the issue of the homeless on Main Street in Columbia is a real issue. If the city addresses the issue, cleans up Main, people feel safe, the comments I would think would turn positive.
Stating that newspaper reader comments are in any way representative of the general population's feelings/attitudes towards a city is laughable. Who knows if the people posting are actually from Columbia or whatever city newspaper you are reading. For all we know, you could be posting under multiple names in The State.

Second, to suggest this is a Columbia thing is flat out wrong. Try reading some of the comments in Charleston, Greenville, Charlotte or pick a city. Every city has a population segment that likes to bash anything related to the central business district. Go back and read some comments in The Observer related to downtown, they were brutal and I think you would agree that downtown Charlotte is not representative of those comments.

If you take those comments too seriously, you are looking for something to use against Columbia that simply is not there. Now, let's try to talk about Main St and not stupid reader comments in a newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area