Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Stating that newspaper reader comments are in any way representative of the general population's feelings/attitudes towards a city is laughable. Who knows if the people posting are actually from Columbia or whatever city newspaper you are reading. For all we know, you could be posting under multiple names in The State.

Second, to suggest this is a Columbia thing is flat out wrong. Try reading some of the comments in Charleston, Greenville, Charlotte or pick a city. Every city has a population segment that likes to bash anything related to the central business district. Go back and read some comments in The Observer related to downtown, they were brutal and I think you would agree that downtown Charlotte is not representative of those comments.

If you take those comments too seriously, you are looking for something to use against Columbia that simply is not there. Now, let's try to talk about Main St and not stupid reader comments in a newspaper.
You're right. Folks, why are we so hard on each other? We all basically have some of the same interest, regardless of where we choose to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:07 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Attacking other cities on the offensive is old, sickening and childish. Defending the home turf may be less than gracious, but too many people mistake silence for agreement.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 AM

Two floors of the Tapp's building, on the same block as Mast General and the Nickelodeon, will become an arts center with artist studios for rent. Just across the street from the arts center, also on that block, is S&S Art Supplies.

$200,000 loan for Main Street arts center OK'd - Local / Metro - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/07/1849321/200000-loan-for-main-street-arts.html#storylink=misearch - broken link)

Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 AM

Wigs and Things on Main has closed. It was the middle of three wig shops on the Mast General/Nickelodeon block. It was also the ugliest of the three. The space is up for rent, and the facade on the upper floor is screaming out to be torn off. Times, they are a changin'.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM

More residents coming to Main Street -- After being accepted into the Transitions Center, 214 homeless people, who will have a place to stay while transitioning into productive lives, will add to Main Street's growing feet-on-the-street vibe. They will be clean, they'll be wearing clean clothes, they will be off drugs and alcohol, they will know how or be learning how to use a computer, and I'll bet you anything they won't be loitering or panhandling. They will look and act just like people with homes, and once they're ready to transition into permanent housing with jobs, they just might choose to live downtown. Winning!

'Transitions' Homeless Facility Preps For Grand Opening | wltx.com

Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 AM

191 posts, read 503,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Wigs and Things on Main has closed.

Aaaaah man, were's a guy supose to get a wig now? At least there are two others

Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Glad to know you're in the market for a wig. I'm sure homeless people alone can't support the wig shops.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
More residents coming to Main Street -- After being accepted into the Transitions Center, 214 homeless people, who will have a place to stay while transitioning into productive lives, will add to Main Street's growing feet-on-the-street vibe. They will be clean, they'll be wearing clean clothes, they will be off drugs and alcohol, they will know how or be learning how to use a computer, and I'll bet you anything they won't be loitering or panhandling. They will look and act just like people with homes, and once they're ready to transition into permanent housing with jobs, they just might choose to live downtown. Winning!

'Transitions' Homeless Facility Preps For Grand Opening | wltx.com

Unless I missed it in the article.. where is this facility on Main Street?

I think the days of wig shops are numbered... Most of them are now sold in beauty supply stores not in exclusive wig shops.. so I imagine these other two will meet their demise as well. There are a place in the business community for a wig shop, I think most people just dont want them downtown

Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Unless I missed it in the article.. where is this facility on Main Street?

I think the days of wig shops are numbered... Most of them are now sold in beauty supply stores not in exclusive wig shops.. so I imagine these other two will meet their demise as well. There are a place in the business community for a wig shop, I think most people just dont want them downtown
Transitions is at Main and Elmwood and Main and Calhoun - half the block.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:22 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Main Street's newest attraction opened today.....not Apple, not Anthropologie, not a hip restaurant, but Transitions Homeless Center. Homeless people obviously need help, but to place this facility on Main Street?

Main Street homeless center opens today - Local / Metro - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/13/1857881/main-street-homeless-center-opens.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area