Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 11:28 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
You certainly have a way with words. ^ I'm chuckling at this.

The sad truth, is that year after year (I've been in SC about 8 years now), we hear that Main Street is being reborn, yet as of today, it is still the most dead "Main" Street of any of the major SC cities. After 5 pedestrians are almost non existent, there is still a homeless problem, much of the street has empty storefronts or office tower lobbies that can never be stores, lack of shade due to the planting of Palmetto trees, etc. I just don't see the rebirth. Mast opening is a positive step, but one store opening hardly makes a rebirth.
When, praytell, were you last on Main Street?

Also, are we comparing apples to apples? Columbia, as you well know, has multiple entertainment districts. People are out and about nightly in the Vista, just a few short blocks from Main St. Main is developing, but these things do take time, do they not? I think Main is an ideal place for further development because it's got good bones. Great buildings. Nice environment. (It's plenty shady, by the way, for a CBD. Hence my first question.) But if consumers don't agree, as a whole, they don't agree. So be it.

I, for one, see no reason to bet against Main's forward motion. It's come a long way in the last few months, alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
When, praytell, were you last on Main Street?
Ummmm......about two weeks ago. You may forget, I travel the U.S. with my company. When was the last time you were on Main Street?

I agree with you. I am for Main Street forward motion. Unfortunately, there is a heck of a LOT MORE forward motion needed to take it from it's current crawl. Mast is a good start.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Quote:
I think Main is an ideal place for further development because it's got good bones. Great buildings. Nice environment.

I, for one, see no reason to bet against Main's forward motion. It's come a long way in the last few months, alone.
I agree completely. Like a few close friends said recently while visiting Greenville, "If this place was located somewhere in the North, I'd move there in a heartbeat." They were referring to the warm climate, but at least one of them said he is thinking about moving his family regardless of the Southern heat because he thinks the vibrant atmosphere would be worth the extra sweat.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 PM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
This thread is about Greenville?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
Quote:
Ummmm......about two weeks ago. You may forget, I travel the U.S. with my company. When was the last time you were on Main Street?

I agree with you. I am for Main Street forward motion. Unfortunately, there is a heck of a LOT MORE forward motion needed to take it from it's current crawl. Mast is a good start.
Fortunately we get to watch the progress, as both the Vista and Five Points continue to flourish and expand along with the CDB and riverfront.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Ah yes. Globe-trotter.

I was on Main Street yesterday.

Quote:
Remind me to never let you watch me make an omelet. You'd take one look at the broken eggs and declare failure.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
This thread is about Greenville?
I was talking about Main St Columbia. Can't speak for anyone else.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I was on Main Street yesterday.
So can I assume between my Main Street visit two weeks ago and your visit yesterday that things have drastically changed? The homeless and homeless shelters are gone.....the empty buildings are full........the Palmetto trees tripled in size and are giving shade.....the ugly brick paver median has been removed.....hundreds of people are on the street at 8:00 PM?

You aren't reading my post closely. I stated Mast was a start....a good start. I didn't say Main Street was a failure. But people that think the current state of Main Street is something to celebrate, obviously have low expectations. Main could and should be MUCH more.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
So can I assume between my Main Street visit two weeks ago and your visit yesterday that things have drastically changed? The homeless and homeless shelters are gone.....the empty buildings are full........the Palmetto trees tripled in size and are giving shade.....the ugly brick paver median has been removed.....hundreds of people are on the street at 8:00 PM?
This is a mish-mash of truth, opinion, and misinformation. And I don't think we need to get mired in snark and sarcasm.

Quote:
You aren't reading my post closely. I stated Mast was a start....a good start. I didn't say Main Street was a failure. But people that think the current state of Main Street is something to celebrate, obviously have low expectations. Main could and should be MUCH more.
People are excited about what they see as the early stages of a turnaround. No one is saying that Main Street has arrived. Just as silly as trumpeting every little advance is poo-pooing every step forward because it isn't a finished project.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
People are excited about what they see as the early stages of a turnaround. No one is saying that Main Street has arrived. Just as silly as trumpeting every little advance is poo-pooing every step forward because it isn't a finished project.
^ Agreed.
I don't think any area any city is ever truely "a finished project" to use your term, as cities are dynamic and continue to evolve. The issue that many locals and other in-staters have with Main Street is that the change is painfully slow. The energy and amount of pedestrians on Main Street today is not much different than it was 8 years ago when I moved to SC, but yet some trumpet it like it is Michigan Avenue (Magnificent Mile). Main Street is just about as average now, as it has been for years. It still has homeless, it still lacks a serious foodie scene, still lacks vibrant energy, etc, etc. It does have small starts happening like Mast and Nick, but it also has so many issues holding it back and keeping it from breaking out of mediocrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area