Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
One of my concerns about Main St (including Mast) is that parking is easily available including within 1 block of Mast. This does not bode well for the entire area.

Yes California Dreaming is located in a great/interesting building (an old train station) but it is not close enough to Main St to be even mentioned in the same breath.
To clarify. If one can street park close to Mast it means their clientele is walking, not driving there, thus Mast is not a destination store meaning it is an on the way "accident". This primarily means their clientele is downtown workers that walk which also means they "dry" up after 5pm and on weekends/holidays. Sorry, but this does not bode well for a business.

Topographically? Main St. does "continue" on after the Statehouse "break" but come on folks. Comparing those "ends" of Main St. as in one contiguous entity, is at best, a "reach".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 04:44 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
Downtown Columbia's not compact. The grid is huge. That's a good thing.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Quote:
To clarify. If one can street park close to Mast it means their clientele is walking, not driving there, thus Mast is not a destination store meaning it is an on the way "accident". This primarily means their clientele is downtown workers that walk which also means they "dry" up after 5pm and on weekends/holidays. Sorry, but this does not bode well for a business.
And to further clarify, I've been able to street park close there on weekdays, during work hours. When I've visited on the weekends, I've found it to be bustling.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:13 PM

This past Sat. there were 3 parking spots open (loading zone 7am to 11am then 30 minute parking) in front of the old Army/Navy store which is right beside Mast, at 2pm.

Mast had a fair amount of customers. Candidly, more then I might have expected to be there at that time on that day.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,108 times
Quote:
This past Sat. there were 3 parking spots open (loading zone 7am to 11am then 30 minute parking) in front of the old Army/Navy store which is right beside Mast, at 2pm.

Mast had a fair amount of customers. Candidly, more then I might have expected to be there at that time on that day.
Just a question, and I am being honest when I ask,......do you want Mast to fail? Granted, Main is a work in process as it relates to retail (on this end since we have segregated Cailf Dreaming to another end of Main) but, the movement is in the right direction. Mast is by no means the answer but, it does provide a starting point for other retailers to cluster and create some synergies. And, based on the traffic that I have seen when I am in the store, it seems to be holding up well.

I am more optimistic about Main in the future due to the movement back towards center cities nationwide. While the pace may vary between cities due to individual circumstances of each city (state government in Columbia), there is clear evidence that center cities are back and Columbia is not unique. If, as has been discussed, Main south of the state house is a separate district, then Columbia has many distinct downtown districts which are doing well. The missing ingredient is a linkage.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Fair question.

I want to see downtown Columbia blossom/grow. Become a destination.

The issues I am having:

1. The head in the sky people that think every time someone "farts" on Main St, it is a trumpet heralding Main St. new birth.

2. I believe USC controls Columbia (and The State Rag Newspaper, but another issue). I believe it does not help Columbia unless it is in their best interest to do so. Thus if it does not overall help, then it is part of the problem. Some say this city is a town of adolescents surrounded by a football field but the majority of those adolescents I see, are adults behaving as such.

The USC football coach (no matter who he is) "farting" gets more media coverage then the Mayor of Columbia gets. I do know that on the front page of The State Rag he does.

I believe USC is the main issue/problem and so far I see no one with the balls to take them on.

3. I think the same might be said about the US Army but they are in a remote part of the area and it seems to me they show no concern/interest about downtown.

4. I also believe Columbia's form of government (part time Mayor, even if/when he is a good one as the present one is) needs over hauling to an elected Mayor who is on duty 24/7. and paid properly for it.

5. I see several State of SC business offices outside of downtown Columbia, as in not in downtown. At least if it is the capital make them folks come downtown to work.

I am sorry to say but if I were choosing a major city in SC to live in today, then Columbia would finish far behind Greenville and Charleston. When asked where to live in SC, I do repond with that answer.

If at 20 years of age you are not idealist, you do not have a heart. If at 40 years of age you are not a realist, you do not have a brain.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 07-24-2011 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,108 times
Quote:
Fair question.

The issues I am having:

1. The head in the sky people that think every time someone "farts" on Main St, it is a trumpet heralding Main St. new birth.

2. I believe USC controls Columbia (and The State Rag Newspaper, but another issue). I believe it does not help Columbia unless it is in their best interest to do so. Thus if it does not overall help, then it is part of the problem. Some say this city is a town of adolescents surrounded by a football field but the majority of those adolescents I see, are adults behaving as such.

The USC football coach (no matter who he is) "farting" gets more media coverage then the Mayor of Columbia gets. I do know that on the front page of The State Rag he does.

I believe USC is the main issue/problem and so far I see no one with the balls to take them on.

3. I think the same might be said about the US Army but they are in a remote part of the area and it seems to me they show no concern/interest about downtown.

4. I also believe Columbia's form of government (part time Mayor, even if/when he is a good one as the present one is) needs over hauling to an elected Mayor who is on duty 24/7. and paid properly for it.

5. I see several State of SC business offices outside of downtown Columbia, as in not in downtown. At least if it is the capital make them folks come downtown to work.

I am sorry to say but if I were choosing a major city in SC to live in today, then Columbia would finish far behind Greenville and Charleston. When asked where to live in SC, I do repond with that answer.

If at 20 years of age you are not idealist, you do not have a heart. If at 40 years of age you are not a realist, you do not have a brain.
Thanks for the answer. I agree that some of your points are valid....I have never understood why a mayor is part time. Although this is not a hinderance to growth, Charlotte has a part time mayor, it does distract from city duties. The whole Carolina debate continues to rage on, and that is what makes it a little more interesting for Columbia. Carolina is a huge asset and needs to be utilized more in marketing the city to potential businesses. There are a lot of Carolina grads who are CEOs of national companies such as Fluor which would be great contacts to establishing more business for Columbia. Perhaps the owner of the Houston Texans could also help in getting an exhibition game at Williams Brice...this will never happen but, the university has many assets that can be utilized by the city instead of an adversial relationship. The university is in Columbia and not going anywhere, it is best for both institutions for them to grow together.

As for where to live in SC, it all depends on what you are looking for. For me, I would look at Charleston or Columbia, perhaps even Charlotte (Fort Mill).

Interesting quote........some live that in inverse order.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 PM

As in somebody steps forward like Darla Moore and gets "byitch" slapped by Ms. Tea Bag Haley and all sit around sucking their thumbs saying da........

Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Fair question.

The issues I am having:

You certainly have a way with words. ^ I'm chuckling at this.

The sad truth, is that year after year (I've been in SC about 8 years now), we hear that Main Street is being reborn, yet as of today, it is still the most dead "Main" Street of any of the major SC cities. After 5 pedestrians are almost non existent, there is still a homeless problem, much of the street has empty storefronts or office tower lobbies that can never be stores, lack of shade due to the planting of Palmetto trees, etc. I just don't see the rebirth. Mast opening is a positive step, but one store opening hardly makes a rebirth.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
The city is planting palmettos only as accents. Main Street will have lots of shade when the pistachios, maples and oaks they planted mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area