Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 AM

257 posts, read 327,914 times

Advertisements

Great news. I actually forgot that hotel was there on Main. It's so blah that you really have to pay attention to recognize it's there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Personally I think this project isn't getting enough play in the local press, this is much more of a game changer then Mast. The more people who live on Main the better and this will get the numbers higher. The paper published a total of residential units on Main and I forgot the number but something in the ballpark of 400, this plus the apartments planned on top of Mast will take it over 500 which is significant.
The Arnold development will bring 51 apartments and the Lofts at Lourie's above Mast General will have 28 apartments.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 AM

The Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel has received a AAA Four Diamond rating.

The Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel Earns the AAA Four Diamond Award | MidlandsBiz

Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 AM

I just discovered last night that there is no South Main Street, or at least not in the downtown area. Main Street runs south all the way to Whaley Street. That means that Main Street, bisected by the four-block area known as the capitol grounds (complex), has the following businesses, USC buildings notwithstanding: California Dreaming, Yoghut, Jasmine's Cafe, Moe's Southwest Grill, DCP Convenience Store, Al Amir Mediterranean Bistro, Universal Copies, Firehouse Subs, the South Carolina Bookstore, Sandy's Hotdogs, Hunter-Gatherer, Miyo's, Which Wich (Sandwiches), Immaculate Consumption, the Nickelodeon Theater, The Whig, Uptown Gifts, Chick-Filet (sp), Atlanta Bread Company, convenience store next to Atlanta Bread Company, Granger-Owens, a fabric store (don't know the name), Moe's (daytime restaurant), a hair salon, Wish (and the other stores in the Arcade), the Sheraton and its restaurants and rooftop bar, a breakfast and lunch spot on that same block, Frame of Mind, another hair salon, Sylvan's Jeweler's, the White Mule, Anastasia's Art Gallery, Gotta Dance, the Duck-In hamburger joint, the Columbia Museum of Art gift shop, a grouping of clothing stores clustered around Main and Taylor, Mast General Store, S & S Art Supplies, King's Jewelers, Sammi's Deli, two wig shops, Hennessey's restaurant, Kimbrell's Furniture, Mac's On Main restaurant, a shoe repair shop, and a tailor. I'm sure I have left out a few, and I didn't count the banks, attorney's offices or restaurants and art galleries that are about to come on line. BTW, they are putting in infrastructure in the alley that will connect the City Center Garage with Main Street. No, it's not like there's nothing going on on Main Street.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 PM

843 posts, read 2,748,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I just discovered last night that there is no South Main Street, or at least not in the downtown area. Main Street runs south all the way to Whaley Street. That means that Main Street, bisected by the four-block area known as the capitol grounds (complex), has the following businesses, USC buildings notwithstanding: California Dreaming, Yoghut, Jasmine's Cafe, Moe's Southwest Grill, DCP Convenience Store, Al Amir Mediterranean Bistro, Universal Copies, Firehouse Subs, the South Carolina Bookstore, Sandy's Hotdogs, Hunter-Gatherer, Miyo's, Which Wich (Sandwiches), Immaculate Consumption, the Nickelodeon Theater, The Whig, Uptown Gifts, Chick-Filet (sp), Atlanta Bread Company, convenience store next to Atlanta Bread Company, Granger-Owens, a fabric store (don't know the name), Moe's (daytime restaurant), a hair salon, Wish (and the other stores in the Arcade), the Sheraton and its restaurants and rooftop bar, a breakfast and lunch spot on that same block, Frame of Mind, another hair salon, Sylvan's Jeweler's, the White Mule, Anastasia's Art Gallery, Gotta Dance, the Duck-In hamburger joint, the Columbia Museum of Art gift shop, a grouping of clothing stores clustered around Main and Taylor, Mast General Store, S & S Art Supplies, King's Jewelers, Sammi's Deli, two wig shops, Hennessey's restaurant, Kimbrell's Furniture, Mac's On Main restaurant, a shoe repair shop, and a tailor. I'm sure I have left out a few, and I didn't count the banks, attorney's offices or restaurants and art galleries that are about to come on line. BTW, they are putting in infrastructure in the alley that will connect the City Center Garage with Main Street. No, it's not like there's nothing going on on Main Street.
And enough parking for one of those...

Old 07-21-2011, 04:24 PM

I never, ever have trouble parking. Never. Do I get to park at the very doorstep of where I'm going? No, but fortunately I'm not handicapped. To the extent that there is any problem parking, it's a good problem for a city to have. And if it's California Dreaming you're saying has plenty of parking, don't bet on it. That place stays packed with a waiting list. BTW, it is absolutely gorgeous in there.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
One of my concerns about Main St (including Mast) is that parking is easily available including within 1 block of Mast. This does not bode well for the entire area.

Yes California Dreaming is located in a great/interesting building (an old train station) but it is not close enough to Main St to be even mentioned in the same breath.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:55 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
One of my concerns about Main St (including Mast) is that parking is easily available including within 1 block of Mast. This does not bode well for the entire area.

Yes California Dreaming is located in a great/interesting building (an old train station) but it is not close enough to Main St to be even mentioned in the same breath.
What do you mean about parking........if parking is easily available, that should be a good thing...right?

As for Calif Dreaming, Main is a long street from Elmwood past the state house and on down to Calif Dreaming. You do turn off of Main St. into Calif Dreaming's parking lot. Now, if you are trying to incorporate Calif Dreaming into Main from Gervais to Elmwood, then, the state house divides the street into a couple of separate districts, like a lot of Main Streets. But, I think the point is that Main is a long street with a lot of restaurants on both ends of the state house. Now, if they can connect The Vista with Main, then you will create some synergies in town.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

California Dreaming is on Main Street.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:28 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I never, ever have trouble parking. Never. Do I get to park at the very doorstep of where I'm going? No, but fortunately I'm not handicapped.
We've been to Mast maybe 3 or 4 times since it opened. Every time we parked on the street within a half block of the store. We've never even had to use the garage/lot (whatever it is... like I say, we've never used it).

I think it's hilarious that people will park in a giant lot at a mall and then walk around for hours, but won't park and walk in a downtown area. Different strokes, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area