U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-15-2016, 01:23 PM
 
6,158 posts, read 9,373,589 times
Reputation: 1784

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Cramped courthouse drives Richland leaders to explore building a new one

Richland considers new courthouse to replace cramped facility | The State

Is this finally happening?

If they make the move what do you guys want to see there. Me personally would love to see a mixed used retail office space at the bottom and an apartment, condo or hotel tower on the top.15-20 floors.Which would definitely shift a lot of development north even quicker.


They should move to the corner of Main and Elmwood and put it there. Since it is across from the homeless shelter and likely may be a hard to develop property anyway. Nice location for an iconic Courthouse Building entering downtown. Its still close to downtown and provides an anchor of sort on the far end of North Main and could fill in the gap between downtown and NOMA especially considering that the courts employ 120 people and have hundreds of visitors even if some are defendants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2016, 02:40 PM
 
419 posts, read 246,714 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Yeah, he even started out saying, "If they move."

I would not be opposed to tearing down that horrible looking monstrosity that has no interaction with the street. If that and the old united way building were torn down and rebuilt as mixed use properties that would be a huge boon for that part of Main Street. Not to mention the empty lots and bus station that will be moving around the same time. 2019-2024 will be an interesting time for this area.
My bad, I read it too quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2016, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
1,710 posts, read 1,504,222 times
Reputation: 358
I went to the new wine bar, Lula Drake, on Main Street tonight. It's really nice and was packed. We walked in the rain from the 1600 block down to Cantina 76. Lots of people out and about on Main on a rainy Wednesday. The extent of revitalization on Main St since I moved here in 2005 is hard to put into words - and with more on the way. Perhaps the most exciting thing for Columbia is that despite all the new stuff downtown, there are still a lot of places to redevelop and areas to grow. I am extremely optimistic about what the next ten years has in store for our fair city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 07:05 AM
 
419 posts, read 246,714 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I went to the new wine bar, Lula Drake, on Main Street tonight. It's really nice and was packed. We walked in the rain from the 1600 block down to Cantina 76. Lots of people out and about on Main on a rainy Wednesday. The extent of revitalization on Main St since I moved here in 2005 is hard to put into words - and with more on the way. Perhaps the most exciting thing for Columbia is that despite all the new stuff downtown, there are still a lot of places to redevelop and areas to grow. I am extremely optimistic about what the next ten years has in store for our fair city.
I went back last fall and was amazed by the breakneck speed of redevelopment. I have to say, I'm very excited about the connections between adjoining areas, most notably the University SC Tower and the redeveloped fire station that will further link the Vista to USC. As much as some may criticize Benjamin for his command-driven approach, he has helped build a business climate that has made urban infill and extremely attractive proposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2016, 03:36 PM
 
6,158 posts, read 9,373,589 times
Reputation: 1784
More good things happening on North Main. The article talks about a "seemless" transition from I-20 to downtown..I think from Sunset to Downtown will likely see the major improvement... north of that it will likely only be more neighborhood serving retail.. if we are lucky. Lot of interesting sites full of potential both north and south of Sunset Drive.. but I think south of Sunset will see most of the growth. There may be some opportunities to do more around the Eau Claire Town Hall, Columbia College, and Lutheran Seminary as nodes of development.

NORTHERN EXPOSURE: Revitalized North Main Street new frontier of development > SC Biz News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 03:15 PM
 
1,378 posts, read 1,261,360 times
Reputation: 246
Columbia considers building mixed-use City Hall complex dowtown | The State

If the city can pull this new building off, I will be one proud Columbian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 PM
 
616 posts, read 455,858 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Columbia considers building mixed-use City Hall complex dowtown | The State

If the city can pull this new building off, I will be one proud Columbian.
I agree.

I can only laugh at the foolish comments below the story though. It would really make sense for the City to build a building and lease excess space until it needs it and also lease additional class "A" office space (which is needed and commands high rates), retail and residential. It would be a diversified investment. The city would most likely hire a management company to handle the day to day operations. It would also sit on the balance sheet as an asset, and could improve the bond capabilities of the city, which would reduce the need to use TIF's to finance parking projects.

So the building could be 6 floors of parking at 60ft, 20 floors of office space (15 for the city eventually, and 5 for lease) at 250 ft. 7 floor of residential at 70ft (less than 130 units) and 30ft for roof and mechanical floors, we can get to a 410ft building at least. Add in a hotel and you could get close to 500ft tall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,636 posts, read 14,144,789 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I agree.

I can only laugh at the foolish comments below the story though. It would really make sense for the City to build a building and lease excess space until it needs it and also lease additional class "A" office space (which is needed and commands high rates), retail and residential. It would be a diversified investment. The city would most likely hire a management company to handle the day to day operations. It would also sit on the balance sheet as an asset, and could improve the bond capabilities of the city, which would reduce the need to use TIF's to finance parking projects.

So the building could be 6 floors of parking at 60ft, 20 floors of office space (15 for the city eventually, and 5 for lease) at 250 ft. 7 floor of residential at 70ft (less than 130 units) and 30ft for roof and mechanical floors, we can get to a 410ft building at least. Add in a hotel and you could get close to 500ft tall.
I like the way you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 PM
 
616 posts, read 455,858 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I like the way you think.
Did I have you at "Balance Sheet?" LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2017, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Columbia,SC
751 posts, read 483,403 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Columbia considers building mixed-use City Hall complex dowtown | The State

If the city can pull this new building off, I will be one proud Columbian.
Heck yeah. I would be very proud of being called a Columbian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top