U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-16-2018, 07:53 PM
 
972 posts, read 995,587 times
Reputation: 153

Advertisements

Is this something preannounced but only now coming to fruition- Like Birds& Bubbles setting an opening date in the building last occupied by Hennessy’s or something new new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2018, 04:49 AM
 
258 posts, read 378,482 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Is this something preannounced but only now coming to fruition- Like Birds& Bubbles setting an opening date in the building last occupied by Hennessyís or something new new?
Something brand spanking new
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 AM
 
64 posts, read 44,167 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
Something brand spanking new
Hmmmmm... the suspense!! Are you referring to Hallís Chophouse replacing Oak Table? I havenít seen that one mentioned on here yet.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 08:52 AM
 
6,133 posts, read 9,329,770 times
Reputation: 1778
I hope all this growth continues up North Main.. There isn't much property or vacancy left downtown (on Main) and South Main is/will be off limits unless USC has something to do with it...There is a lot of vacant land on North Main starting at Elmwood Ave. There has been some rehab and infill of older buildings but I think North Main need some new construction that includes residential in a three or four story structure to anchor it with ground floor retail.. The Jim Moore site would be ideal for this because its still very close to downtown.. but near the heart of NOMA or whatever its being called. I like that things are happening downtown.. but I don't think it needs to get over done.. so hopefully it will spread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 AM
 
258 posts, read 378,482 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayinJG View Post
Hmmmmm... the suspense!! Are you referring to Hallís Chophouse replacing Oak Table? I havenít seen that one mentioned on here yet.....
Boom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 AM
 
29,551 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Reputation: 18098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I hope all this growth continues up North Main.. There isn't much property or vacancy left downtown (on Main) and South Main is/will be off limits unless USC has something to do with it...There is a lot of vacant land on North Main starting at Elmwood Ave. There has been some rehab and infill of older buildings but I think North Main need some new construction that includes residential in a three or four story structure to anchor it with ground floor retail.. The Jim Moore site would be ideal for this because its still very close to downtown.. but near the heart of NOMA or whatever its being called. I like that things are happening downtown.. but I don't think it needs to get over done.. so hopefully it will spread
It would be better if downtown development expanded outward (eastward and westward) from Main as opposed to linearly; downtown is much more than just the Main Street corridor and there's still a ton of opportunities for infill in the CBD along Sumter, Marion, Taylor, Blanding, etc. Other streets should have just as much activity as Main Street and Columbia's downtown footprint is certainly large enough to be fleshed out in such a fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Soda City
481 posts, read 198,905 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
Boom!
But what will become of the Oak Table? Are they moving? Or just gone. I miss Rise Bakeshop and the cafe in the library is not a food enough replacement. I donít want it to suffer the same fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Soda City
481 posts, read 198,905 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It would be better if downtown development expanded outward (eastward and westward) from Main as opposed to linearly; downtown is much more than just the Main Street corridor and there's still a ton of opportunities for infill in the CBD along Sumter, Marion, Taylor, Blanding, etc. Other streets should have just as much activity as Main Street and Columbia's downtown footprint is certainly large enough to be fleshed out in such a fashion.
Iíd rather see it all expand upward. Mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 11:44 AM
 
29,551 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Reputation: 18098
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I’d rather see it all expand upward. Mostly.
Do you mean northward along Main? Or do you mean you want to see more vertical development in downtown with more midrises and highrises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Soda City
481 posts, read 198,905 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Do you mean northward along Main? Or do you mean you want to see more vertical development in downtown with more midrises and highrises?
The second option please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top