Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,028,636 times

Advertisements

I live in Vernon

the Lotus is not closed- it did move several years ago to a new location.
It was packed on a Saturday evening when I drove by a few weeks ago. You really need reservations. They are not open for lunch however currently.

The Food remains excellent at moderate prices.

A review from a few weeks ago
07/02/2007 Posted

I can't understand why anyone would give this restaurant less than 5 stars. I'm a local and this has been my (and most of my friends) absolute favorite restaurant ever since they opened, Further, It's been highly rated by Zagat for years. After you've enjoyed a meal here, it's hard to try something different the next time because what you already had was so good you want more of the same. Atmosphere and food and service are perfect in my opinion. My only complaint is they no longer serve lunch - it's dinner only now.

Pros: ambiance, service, clean, good food

Cons: no lunch

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-29-2007 at 05:54 AM..

Old 07-29-2007, 06:43 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,679,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Hartford does have Mozzicato's- which is excellent; but also

First & Last Bakery Café (Italian-Hartford)\Not to mention the famous Carbonnes restaurant on Franklin Av also Cappricio Ristorante ; Casa Mia Ristorante Italiano. Chef Eugene Restaurant (northern Italian)

In Vernon The Lotus; landmark French-Indochinese. classy,relaxed. Also the Aqua- rated as best Seafood in Tolland county, best service and appetizers in the state by CT magazine. Martini bar,

Taj Mahal very tasty Indian in Vernon.

Manchester- Wooster Street Pizza- as good as it gets in greater Hartford for New Haven style Pizza- A pepe's opening soon in town.
New Haven has a style Pizza?

And whats with the no Slices.

Are you guys one of those Mustard on the Hamburger states too : )

C

Old 07-29-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post

C
No- I do not like Mustard on my burgers-Onions, ketchup please. And cheese sometimes- but NO mustard.
Hot dogs Mustard (Dijon and relish, onions)

I know you can buy Pizza by the slice at Wooster Street in Manchester.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:59 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,584,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
No- I do not like Mustard on my burgers-Onions, ketchup please. And cheese sometimes- but NO mustard.
Hot dogs Mustard (Dijon and relish, onions)

I know you can buy Pizza by the slice at Wooster Street in Manchester.
Am I right in assuming that most pizza "joint's" in CT sell Personal Pizza and not by the slice?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:08 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
It aint the Carnegie...but Reins pastrami blows the doors off of Ben's Kosher on LI(theyve gotten lazy over the years...I guess for them they have a captive audience so they can), JMHO.

Im hungry.

C
Clamboy - You are right, it ain't Carnegie. It ain't Stagedoor either. My wife's family is from New York and she is very particular about deli. We go to the Rye Ridge Deli in Fairfield (I think there are a couple in Fairfiled and Westchester Counies) when she wants good deli. Reins is a lot closer but she doesn't care for it. JMHO

Pizza slices is another strange thing. Selling pizza by the slice is the exception here rather than the rule. Strangely, one of the best places to buy slices in Glastonbury is Highland Park Market. Highland Park is a small supermarket in East Glastonbury. They also have stores in Manchester (their original location), Farmington, Suffield, Coventry and South Windsor. They have thin crust pizza by the slice which is pretty good. They also make the best sandwiches in town and the prices are very reasonable. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 07-29-2007 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: deleted "plus other locations"

Old 07-29-2007, 08:23 AM

84 posts, read 360,355 times
Quote:

C
Being from Massachusetts, I'm from one of those mustard on the hamburger states

Last edited by BogieOrangeman; 07-29-2007 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: correcting my lousy grammar

Old 07-29-2007, 09:31 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,679,169 times
Thats surprising...doesnt Dennis Leary bash mustard on burgers in his "Coffee flavored Coffee skit"

Otherwise thanks for the input on the Delis and Pizza guys.

The worst Ive had in CT is still better than the best I can find in CA.
(Avocado Pizza yuck!)

Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 AM

84 posts, read 360,355 times
Quote:
Thats surprising...doesnt Dennis Leary bash mustard on burgers in his "Coffee flavored Coffee skit"

Otherwise thanks for the input on the Delis and Pizza guys.

The worst Ive had in CT is still better than the best I can find in CA.
(Avocado Pizza yuck!)
I believe Dennis Leary is from Worcester, MA. Maybe it's different outside of 495 (where Worcester is) than inside 495 (where I'm originally from) JayCT and Skytrekker have been extremely helpful in identifying good places to grab a bite

Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,909 times
Sky, thanks for the update. I was under the impression that the Lotus closed for the chowder restaurant, but apparently I was mistaken.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 AM

Yes Wall

Chowder Town closed- it had moved from its long standing Manchester location,where it had done well. I ate at the restaurants old location several times and the food was fresh and of high quality. I visited the now closed location once and thought the food had declined in quality.

Also, I guess it could not compete with The Lotus, Aqua, Reins, Oriental Cafe and Joy Luck all close by and established. There is a new Japanese restaurant soon to open in its place.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-30-2007 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut