Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times

Advertisements

Dallas isn't low humidity though? Do you drink a lot?Heck at 5:30am today it is 86 degrees with a 69 dewpoint. that rivals my 2pm values during the "brutal" heat wave we saw during last month. Thanks but no thanks!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Doubly interesting is NH stopped it 41 years after the formal prohibition. NYC did not stop their slave trade profiteering until the Civil War.
NYC was an isolated and surprising exception to general northern opposition to slavery. Though in a hypocritical way too as slavery wasn't allowed in NYC, but slave trading was.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
NYC was an isolated and surprising exception to general northern opposition to slavery. Though in a hypocritical way too as slavery wasn't allowed in NYC, but slave trading was.

It came as no surprise to me at all. Many who opposed it in theory were happy to derive income from it. Like I said, as a nation we had few "innocents" in our early decades.

NH obviously profited from slavery 41 years after CT prohibited its practice. Same hypocrisy as NYC at play.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM

90 posts, read 92,331 times
How does this topic go from pros and cons of CT to slavery and hatred to the south? I've been a resident of this state all my life, I can honestly say that it's not for me. Not to talk trash because I have made good money here in the state, but it seems like every year, it get worse and worse, and harder to live here in CT. The taxes here are way too high, and for what? There is not much to do here. Yeah we're close to NYC and Boston, whats the big deal? A lot of people like it, I'm just saying its not for me. Im sick of taxes, taxes and more taxes for nothing. I speak for myself when I say that CT is becoming unbearable and im sick of it. If I could find a decent job in the south, I'd jump on it. I'm tired of the snow, the summers here are stupid, and most of all, I'm tired of giving away my hard earned money. Just my 2 cents

Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeDatSunshineState View Post
How does this topic go from pros and cons of CT to slavery and hatred to the south? I've been a resident of this state all my life, I can honestly say that it's not for me. Not to talk trash because I have made good money here in the state, but it seems like every year, it get worse and worse, and harder to live here in CT. The taxes here are way too high, and for what? There is not much to do here. Yeah we're close to NYC and Boston, whats the big deal? A lot of people like it, I'm just saying its not for me. Im sick of taxes, taxes and more taxes for nothing. I speak for myself when I say that CT is becoming unbearable and im sick of it. If I could find a decent job in the south, I'd jump on it. I'm tired of the snow, the summers here are stupid, and most of all, I'm tired of giving away my hard earned money. Just my 2 cents
That is the problem. Try and find a decent paying job in the south. It is pretty hard. Keep in mind you get what you pay for so if I were you I would look very carefully and thoroughly before making a move. You will likely find that the grass is not greener somewhere else. Jay

Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 PM

52 posts, read 114,335 times
This thread has become a disappointment. I don't care about the south, wal-mart, slavery, Texas, taxes, or any of the other off topic nonsense. I simply wanted to hear peoples feelings, likes/dislikes about the state, it's people and geographical location.More in an in depth sociological/cultural perspective. Enough with the taxes, personal opinions on climate, and other rubbish. Try and discuss the state from a sociological perspective and how the state ties into the northeast. And if you are going to compare it to other states compare it to others in the northeast region. Texas and southern states aren't remotely close or interconnected to CT. This wasn't a North VS. South thread.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:50 PM

And enough of the secluding FFC from the rest of the state. All of the towns and counties mingle and are connected. There are affluent, and rough. Scenic, and not scenic areas in every county. There isn't a stone wall or a drastic change between towns on the borders of counties, and FFC Isn't just the Greenwich and Dariens down near the tail of the state. It's a sprawling county like any other.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:22 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is the problem. Try and find a decent paying job in the south. It is pretty hard. Keep in mind you get what you pay for so if I were you I would look very carefully and thoroughly before making a move. You will likely find that the grass is not greener somewhere else. Jay
I just moved fom CT to TX. I make 5% less here, but I'll net much more due to no state income tax, lower real estate taxes and a much lower mortgage payment on a bigger, nicer house.

My commute in CT was 1 to 2 hours, depending on traffic. My commute here is about 10 minutes.

Cultural amenities; no fewer, more easily accessed here.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Enough on texas

Old 08-07-2013, 06:33 PM

AND TAXES. Please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut