Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,366,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
According to Amplicate.com, 63% of people love Florida and only 37% of people love CT. Sounds pretty accurate to me.

FL: Why Do People Love Florida? 63% People Do (143,726 opinions)

CT: Why Do People Love Connecticut? 37% People Do (3,545 opinions)
According to Amplicate, 48% of people love Boston, 66% of people love Denver, 66% of people love Detroit, 71% of people love Memphis and 78% of people love Caracas, Venezuela. I guess people from Boston and Denver should consider Detroit or better yet, Caracas. BUT HEY! At least in Caracas, you get free stuff and kill those who don't give you what you want.

Let's also do one closer to your home:
CT - 37% love it
Puerto Rico - 90% love it.

Last edited by LordHomunculus; 04-02-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM

267 posts, read 448,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
According to Amplicate, 48% of people love Boston, 66% of people love Denver, 66% of people love Detroit, 71% of people love Memphis and 78% of people love Caracas, Venezuela. I guess people from Boston and Denver should consider Detroit or better yet, Caracas. BUT HEY! At least in Caracas, you get free stuff and kill those who don't give you what you want.

Let's also do one closer to your home:
CT - 37% love it
Puerto Rico - 90% love it.
They must have only polled gang members and drug dealers...,lmao!

I also cant believe this hasnt been mentioned yet: Florida one of the top 10 most dangerous states in terms of violent crime per capita whereas CT is one of the top 15 safest states. Thats not even counting the number of people that seem sketchy or thuggish in Florida which beats CT by about ten fold. Its also not counting the number of bizarre crimes and number of people who get alway with violent crimes which, as we know if weve glanced at a tv or newspaper in the last few years, Florida is likely number 1 nationally in both categories.

Last edited by CLees; 04-02-2014 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
They must have only polled gang members and drug dealers...,lmao!

I also cant believe this hasnt been mentioned yet: Florida one of the top 10 most dangerous states in terms of violent crime per capita whereas CT is one of the top 15 safest states. Thats not even counting the number of people that seem sketchy or thuggish in Florida which beats CT by about ten fold. Its also not counting the number of bizarre crimes and number of people who get alway with violent crimes which, as we know if weve glanced at a tv or newspaper in the last few years, Florida is likely number 1 nationally in both categories.
No they polled retirees who never worked a day in Florida

Old 04-02-2014, 04:31 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,088,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
That 4:30-ish sunset is kind of awesome. It gives employees a good excuse to leave work 30 minutes early and use the darkness to justify it's time to go home.
Yes; employers are fully on board with employees leaving early because it's dark. Sure.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:02 PM

267 posts, read 448,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Yes; employers are fully on board with employees leaving early because it's dark. Sure.
Yeah id say getting to leave work early and being able to arrive to work late are more on the Florida perks side of things.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
I believe that all U.S. businesses should be required to provide 4 weeks of vacation time per year, paid or unpaid. I also believe that all U.S. businesses should be required to pay a minimum wage of at least $12.25, and be required to pay overtime for any hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
I believe that all U.S. businesses should be required to provide 4 weeks of vacation time per year, paid or unpaid. I also believe that all U.S. businesses should be required to pay a minimum wage of at least $12.25, and be required to pay overtime for any hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week.
So here's my issue... Minimum wage of $12.25? Sure. I could go with that.

4 Weeks vacation? That would mean I have roughly-- One person out every day due to vacation alone. I'm a small business and there isn't a lot of duplication in job responsibilities... If my office manager is out, bills aren't paid. If my editors are out new content isn't being produced. Sorry-- we give 2 weeks paid and I think that's reasonable for a first year employee.

Likewise-- 40 hour work week? That was for when people were doing back breaking labor. We don't have any particular hour requirement. We run a results-only work environment. You're responsible for achieving certain objectives and outcomes-- not for sitting at your desk looking at Facebook for so many hours a week. Sometimes achieving those objectives takes more than 40 hours... Some times as much as 50-- But on other weeks they may have all their objectives complete on Friday morning and take Friday afternoon off.

Measuring work by hours isn't for professionals-- It's for fast food workers, laborers, people doing shift work, etc. Sorry.. That just doesn't jive with me.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So here's my issue... Minimum wage of $12.25? Sure. I could go with that.

4 Weeks vacation? That would mean I have roughly-- One person out every day due to vacation alone. I'm a small business and there isn't a lot of duplication in job responsibilities... If my office manager is out, bills aren't paid. If my editors are out new content isn't being produced. Sorry-- we give 2 weeks paid and I think that's reasonable for a first year employee.

Likewise-- 40 hour work week? That was for when people were doing back breaking labor. We don't have any particular hour requirement. We run a results-only work environment. You're responsible for achieving certain objectives and outcomes-- not for sitting at your desk looking at Facebook for so many hours a week. Sometimes achieving those objectives takes more than 40 hours... Some times as much as 50-- But on other weeks they may have all their objectives complete on Friday morning and take Friday afternoon off.

Measuring work by hours isn't for professionals-- It's for fast food workers, laborers, people doing shift work, etc. Sorry.. That just doesn't jive with me.
Professionals have lives, too. Many have families and other personal pursuits in life. Studies show that although work makes people happy, excessive work leads to health problems, depression (especially in the financial world), burnout, and lack of attention to family or exercise. The Europeans understand this. I'm not sure why Americans can't. Fortunately, my company understands it. I work about 39 hours per week and get 5 weeks of PAID vacation and amazing health coverage, with a 20% annual bonus for a total of $90K per year, at staff level. And it's a small company with less than 100 employees. It's more than I could ask for.

You also mentioned "back breaking labor." Excuse me, but sitting at a desk for 8+ hours a day, five days a week is NOT good for the back. I'm only 29 and already have increasingly recurring lower back pain. So many office employees have to see chiropractors and I have already suffered through three rounds of acute carpel tunnel. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be in 30 years from now, if I'm still working in an office setting. Fortunately, our office is starting to provide standing stations for employees. Working in an office can be just as unhealthy as jobs that demand physical labor.

Two weeks of paid vacation, even for a first year employee, is simply sad. That means the employee has to work 50 weeks out of 52 weeks per year! That's 96% of the year! I think one week per quarter is reasonable. I'm sure you can find a work around somehow. I would feel horrible if I only provided two weeks of time off per YEAR for my employees. I would find a way to make it work, even if it means significantly less profits, since I value health and well being over money.

No wonder why Americans have significantly shorter life expectancies than those in other nations.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Professionals have lives, too. Many have families and other personal pursuits in life. Studies show that although work makes people happy, excessive work leads to health problems, depression (especially in the financial world), burnout, and lack of attention to family or exercise. The Europeans understand this. I'm not sure why Americans can't. Fortunately, my company understands it. I work about 39 hours per week and get 5 weeks of PAID vacation and amazing health coverage, with a 20% annual bonus for a total of $90K per year, at staff level. And it's a small company with less than 100 employees. It's more than I could ask for.
Sounds like a great deal. I couldn't do that and stay in business. On the other side of it, I've had zero voluntary turnover since I started the company... No one is making $90K a year, no one is guaranteed a 40 hour work week, and no one gets 5 weeks off (including me). What they do have is meaningful work that has an impact on lives-- The media we produce teaches job skills that enable people all over the world to feed their family, change careers and better their lives.

Quote:
You also mentioned "back breaking labor." Excuse me, but sitting at a desk for 8+ hours a day, five days a week is NOT good for the back. I'm only 29 and already have increasingly recurring lower back pain. So many office employees have to see chiropractors and I have already suffered through three rounds of acute carpel tunnel. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be in 30 years from now, if I'm still working in an office setting. Fortunately, our office is starting to provide standing stations for employees. Working in an office can be just as unhealthy as jobs that demand physical labor.
I'm going to call BS on this. Sorry, Nep. I can't believe that your level of physical fatigue compares to someone who is doing actual labor. Every watch furniture movers at work? Good gawd, I respect that kind of work-- I don't know if I could do it.

Quote:
Two weeks of paid vacation, even for a first year employee, is simply sad. That means the employee has to work 50 weeks out of 52 weeks per year! That's 96% of the year! I think one week per quarter is reasonable. I'm sure you can find a work around somehow. I would feel horrible if I only provided two weeks of time off per YEAR for my employees. I would find a way to make it work, even if it means significantly less profits, since I value health and well being over money.
I guess you have the luxury of reducing profits and keeping everyone employed. I don't. You also forgot holidays in your 96% calculation--

Thanksgiving- 3 Days
Xmas New Years- 6-7 Days depending on calendar (We close from 12/24 - 2/2)
Misc Holidays- 5 Days

Doesn't look like 96% to me-- The difference is if we're closed on a holiday it doesn't have the business impact of job processes not getting done when we're open.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 PM

82 posts, read 113,836 times
I think threads like this are pointless because it is highly subjective. Some people really love rain and Seattle is for them, others can't stand it and move to Phoenix. I personally wasn't happy with CT and I like tropical weather, so I live in Southeast Florida.

Many people like seasonal variations, I'm not one of them. The only season I ever liked was summer. In CT I used to love the hot humid August days where it was hot enough to swim at night. Down here, some people get happy when it gets below 70, I can't wait for it to warm up. Also, I remember being warned about summers here, personally I have no problem with the summer weather.

I spend a lot of time on the beach, in CT I'd go as much as I could when it was summer, but I found going to the beach was often an activity that required planning ahead of time. Here, I can go for a couple of hours since I live so close to the beach and its warm year round.

As for history, I lived in Europe and really none of the US has much history. A wooden house built in 1758 or two Spanish forts in the case of Florida do not really make an area historical in my opinion. If I wanted history, I'd go to Europe, Asia or even parts of Latin America (Guadalajara in Mexico is much more impressive than anything in the U.S. or Canada).

Natural Scenery, it would be nice if Florida had mountains like Rio de Janeiro, but it doesn't so I can live without because I'd rather be somewhere first world. If you want to live somewhere tropical that is relatively safe and first world, your options are limited. Also, I like that it's green and we have flowers in bloom year round here.

Public Transportation doesn't seem really good in Florida or Connecticut. Buses run in Florida and we have the Tri-Rail or whatever it's called in Southeast Florida, but both places seem overly reliant on cars. Sadly, most of the U.S. public transportation system is lacking outside of half a dozen cities.

Cuisine, at least in Miami and Fort Lauderdale there are some excellent non-chain restaurants. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than in CT at least in this region. I discovered an excellent Spanish restaurant in Miami beach run by people from Cadiz in Spain and it was the best Spanish food I've had this side of the Atlantic. I even know of a great Japanese place here.

As for Italian food, I travel to Italy quite a bit and the Italian-American food in Connecticut is just too heavy and loosely based on the cuisine of Sicily and Naples. I found a Tuscan restaurant in Fort Lauderdale that does authentic Italian food far better than anything up in CT. Interestingly enough there are more Italian-born people in Florida (29,396 vs 20,559 in 2012) and I do hear Italian spoken far more than I did in CT.

The people in Miami at least seem younger than in CT. Though I know lots of places in Florida are very old (Boca Raton).

My allergies were worse in Connecticut, but I'm sure for some its the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut