Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2020, 05:51 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,866,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I'm not saying that Hartford is that horrible. But the reality is that there are a lot of shootings happening in Hartford, compared to, say, New Britain, which is equally poor, but far less violent. This is why I get phone calls from potential tenants saying that they've just got to get their kids out of Hartford. They live that reality, the reality that we, going to the Bushnell shows and downtown restaurants, do not see.
Just because an area is low income doesn't mean crime has to be bad. Also hartford is twice the size as new Britain so of course it will have more going on there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 06:56 PM

129 posts, read 79,112 times
boggles my mind how a place perfectly situated between two world class cities with outstanding architecture remains a ghetto after 60 years

Old 12-26-2020, 02:49 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushewick View Post
boggles my mind how a place perfectly situated between two world class cities with outstanding architecture remains a ghetto after 60 years
Hard to believe beloved Boston and NYC still have ghettos

Old 12-26-2020, 03:30 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Waterbury has 12 homicides this year with 90 shooting victims it highest number since 1990s.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:43 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
In reference to BLM protests, I guess we’ll see how responsible Hartford is going to be after last night’s officer involved shooting. Without getting too much into it, a man in Hartford was shot by an officer after failing to drop the two weapons he was openly carrying. https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...g-in-hartford/

A few things: I’m thrilled with how Hartford PD has been transparent. Stressing body cam footage will be released, immediately put out a press statement and details of what happened, and described the process of the investigation to the public.

I’m also happy with how WTNH reported it, and continues to do so. They stressed both on air and in writing the subject was “armed”. There was no play on words, to date. They are reporting solely the facts. This is far too rare and kudos to WTNH for their responsibility thus far.

Again, let’s see how Hartford reacts. Interesting timing, since we were just discussing this in recent days.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 12-27-2020 at 01:51 PM..

Old 12-27-2020, 02:39 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In reference to BLM protests, I guess we’ll see how responsible Hartford is going to be after last night’s officer involved shooting. Without getting too much into it, a man in Hartford was shot by an officer after failing to drop the two weapons he was openly carrying. https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...g-in-hartford/

A few things: I’m thrilled with how Hartford PD has been transparent. Stressing body cam footage will be released, immediately put out a press statement and details of what happened, and described the process of the investigation to the public.

I’m also happy with how WTNH reported it, and continues to do so. They stressed both on air and in writing the subject was “armed”. There was no play on words, to date. They are reporting solely the facts. This is far too rare and kudos to WTNH for their responsibility thus far.

Again, let’s see how Hartford reacts. Interesting timing, since we were just discussing this in recent days.
After dark, near a residential apartment complex, acting erratically (from 911 call), observed fast walking/almost running, carrying an assault rifle with the scope and light, plus another gun, ignoring police commands and pointing a gun: wonder what should be a "fair" outcome of this incident according to some proponents of "defund police"?
Ask a social worker or a community organizer to talk to a guy? or a mental councilor to intervene?

Old 01-02-2021, 11:24 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
2020 Homicides total CT cities

Hartford 24 homicides with 228 shot
Bridgeport 24 homicides with 175 shot
New Haven 20 homicides with 131 shot

Waterbury 12 with 93 shot
Stamford 5 with 26 shot
Meriden 4 with 36 shot
West Haven 5
Norwalk 3
Norwich 3
New Britain, 2
New London 2
Danbury 2
Stratford 2
Bristol 2
Hamden 2
Middletown 2
Torrington 2
Ansonia 1
Derby 1
East Hartford 1
Willimantic 1

Last edited by BPt111; 01-02-2021 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-02-2021, 07:15 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
2020 Homicides total CT cities

Hartford 24 homicides with 228 shot
Bridgeport 24 homicides with 175 shot
New Haven 20 homicides with 131 shot

Waterbury 12 with 93 shot
Stamford 5 with 26 shot
Meriden 4 with 36 shot
West Haven 5
Norwalk 3
Norwich 3
New Britain, 2
New London 2
Danbury 2
Stratford 2
Bristol 2
Hamden 2
Middletown 2
Torrington 2
Ansonia 1
Derby 1
East Hartford 1
Willimantic 1
New Haven lost almost as many cyclists and pedestrians.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:17 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

The media has tried, by letting reverends and city residents speak ignorantly on camera, but failed.

Here’s an amazing piece by the Boston Herald that references the shooting in Hartford:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01...BMpSu2seYG3cqs

Old 01-03-2021, 02:53 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
I was thinking about this thread and the makeup of Connecticut cities. Like Jay always points out our cities tend to be very small and dense with low populations compared to cities in other states. Most of the 1st ring suburbs of our cities would most likely be the equivalent of cities in other states. So I looked up the crime statistics in another way. Violent crime PER CAPITA in each state.

"To determine the most dangerous states in America, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the number of violent crimes reported in 2018 per 100,000 residents* for all 50 states with data from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program. Violent crime is a broad designation that is made up of rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and murder.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...-rate/40968963

*Per Capita

These are the ten SAFEST states with 1 being the safest in the nation.
1 Maine
2 Vermont
3 New Hampshire
4 Virginia (I am surprised....good for Virginia)
5 Connecticut
6 New Jersey
7 Kentucky
8 Wyoming
9 Rhode Island
10 Minnesota

I would rather pay a little more in taxes and be safer in a Connecticut suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut