Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2021, 07:03 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,343,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not sure what you’d like proven. It’s pretty widely known that the classification of crimes (elements and whether the elements mean its a misdemeanor or a felony) differs between states. Each state’s criminal elements can be found online. I encourage you to read them.

I put links to the information cited in my posts. Please put the links up you are referring to. Thank You.

Please put up the links to show that MURDERS & RAPES (violent crime*) are classified in a different manner in each state. Thank You.

*My post was about VIOLENT crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 07:49 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I put links to the information cited in my posts. Please put the links up you are referring to. Thank You.

Please put up the links to show that MURDERS & RAPES (violent crime*) are classified in a different manner in each state. Thank You.

I don’t think you understand, at all.

In CT, there is no “rape”. In most states, there is no “rape”. Rape is a slang term. The statute is CGS 53a-70, which is sexual assault. It is divided up into classes, whether it’s aggravated or not, and thus determines whether it’s a misdemeanor or felony. The same goes for many states, as their version of the CGS is classified much differently than in CT. One state may report an act with forceable penetration as “rape” while another state may report a simple slap on the buttocks as such. It all depends how it’s written into their statute and what that state views as sexual assault, and their interpretation of “violence”.

I’m not going to spell it out for you any further. The many days you’ve demanded links, you could’ve easily done your own research on the matter. But I’ll tell you right now, you’re wrong if you think the laws in each state are equal. They are not.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:55 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:

Scusi
If I may. Just Google it. It's THAT easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...itute%20murder.

The resident G-Man (or attorney) here knows this stuff inside out.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Scusi

Exactly - the same for “murder”. I’m not an attorney, but this topic is my bread and butter.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Scusi

Really?

Or maybe go to see HOW the FBI classifies homicide no matter how each state defines it in their own courts.

Definition (Murder)
The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program defines murder and nonnegligent manslaughter as the willful (nonnegligent) killing of one human being by another. The classification of this offense is based solely on police investigation as opposed to the determination of a court, medical examiner, coroner, jury, or other judicial body. The UCR Program does not include the following situations in this offense classification: deaths caused by negligence, suicide, or accident; justifiable homicides; and attempts to murder or assaults to murder, which are classified as aggravated assaults.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...c-pages/murder

Last edited by CTartist; 01-07-2021 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-07-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Really?

Or maybe go to see HOW the FBI classifies homicide no matter how each state defines it in their own courts.

Definition (Murder)
The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program defines murder and nonnegligent manslaughter as the willful (nonnegligent) killing of one human being by another. The classification of this offense is based solely on police investigation as opposed to the determination of a court, medical examiner, coroner, jury, or other judicial body. The UCR Program does not include the following situations in this offense classification: deaths caused by negligence, suicide, or accident; justifiable homicides; and attempts to murder or assaults to murder, which are classified as aggravated assaults.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...c-pages/murder
It doesn’t matter how the FBI classifies it; it matters how each state classifies it. If certain criteria (which is different in each state) is met, then it’s a UCR statistic.

I will say, murder is less at play than other index offenses, like rape, robbery, arson, aggravated assault, etc., so murder is probably not a fair specific crime to pick apart. There are many other violent offenses that fall under index crimes with a huge variance in state to state classifications that are more than enough to declare a state to state crime comparison almost completely inaccurate.

I’m not sure why you’re trying so hard to prove your case. It is what it is.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
It doesn’t matter how the FBI classifies it; it matters how each state classifies it. If the criteria (which is different in each state) is met, then it’s a UCR statistic.

I will say, murder is less at play than other index offenses, like rape, robbery, arson, aggravated assault, etc., so murder is probably not a fair specific crime to pick apart. There are many other violent offenses that fall under index crimes with a huge variance in state to state classifications that are more than enough to declare a state to state crime comparison almost completely inaccurate.
LOL.... I am putting up FBI statistics . That is how all of these lists for the most violent states get their stats.

So if you know so much and say you now what you are talking about why didn't you note the FBI UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING? The FBI uses this crime reporting system for ALL crime when they make their determinations (or give stats) on a national level to report crime on a national/state level.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:30 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,905 times
He's explained it quite clearly. The FBI gets the numbers from the states- they don't gather the data from each state using their own uniform definitions. Each state may report things differently thus making apples to apples comparisons misleading or wrong in certain categories.

Quote:
LOL.... I am putting up FBI statistics . That is how all of these lists for the most violent states get their stats.

So if you know so much and say you now what you are talking about why didn't you note the FBI UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING? The FBI uses this crime reporting system for ALL crime when they make their determinations (or give stats) on a national level to report crime on a national/state level.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Uh, that’s what I’ve been referring to this entire time when I say “UCR”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
He's explained it quite clearly. The FBI gets the numbers from the states- they don't gather the data from each state using their own uniform definitions. Each state may report things differently thus making apples to apples comparisons misleading or wrong in certain categories.
Yes - I’m not sure how I can clarify it any further.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:32 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,905 times
Our high school football coach is lucky he was in a state with a more strict definition!

Quote:
I don’t think you understand, at all. One state may report an act with forceable penetration as “rape” while another state may report a simple slap on the buttocks as such. It all depends how it’s written into their statute and what that state views as sexual assault, and their interpretation of “violence”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut