Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2020, 12:59 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times

Advertisements

My guess, police will retire (already seeing that). Police will be like firefighters. When you call them come. No more 5-9 in the community (Hartford, look it up). To risk my life as a police offer just so someone says I put the handcuffs on them too tight and fight it in court. No thank you. If you need me, call me. Until then, let the chips fall and I’ll come once the gun shots are done to take pictures. How many people are moving to Hartford on this news? Economy is bad, or course. But that will come back. These are bargain prices to get into Hartford.

I think the CT State Police Union had a vote of no confidence.

Also, New Haven is having an uptick in Violence too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 01:07 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
My guess, police will retire (already seeing that). Police will be like firefighters. When you call them come. No more 5-9 in the community (Hartford, look it up). To risk my life as a police offer just so someone says I put the handcuffs on them too tight and fight it in court. No thank you. If you need me, call me. Until then, let the chips fall and I’ll come once the gun shots are done to take pictures. How many people are moving to Hartford on this news? Economy is bad, or course. But that will come back. These are bargain prices to get into Hartford.

I think the CT State Police Union had a vote of no confidence.

Also, New Haven is having an uptick in Violence too.
Yeah, that’s exactly what you’re seeing right now. It’s not just in Connecticut, but nationwide. It may be propelled in Connecticut thanks to Lamont’s bill, though.

It’s very unfortunate for good, hardworking, law abiding citizens.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:13 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We’re specifically discussing the police accountability bill in Connecticut, as it applies to crime in CT cities. Why you would quote a national opinion, that has zero to do with this specific bill, is beyond me.

Your police chief FIL should also tell you no-knock warrants are extremely rare in the state of CT, and account for a tiny fraction of the split second decision making controversial actions that have been brought to light nationwide. Limiting them is an example of criminal justice reform - not police accountability. They are granted and signed by a judge and overseen by the state attorney‘s office. The decision is not on law enforcement, and 99.9% of officers have never executed a no-knock warrant. Full stop.

In reference to Morning Consult, you do realize they poll from a selected opt-in panel, meaning only those who have signed up to take the survey can participate, right?

Next.
Stop getting louder and more vitriolic because this isn’t breaking your way. There unfortunately isn’t any survey data at the state level (and you aren’t a resident) but is it really plausible that Uber liberal CT would trend more conservative than the country as a whole / plot dramatically differently? Not a chance

Old 10-19-2020, 01:18 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
The healthcare deaths from Covid are tragic but it should be clear that this year is an absolute outlier in comparing the level of risk between the two professions.

And while more doctors than police officers may have died this year from Covid than have LEO in the last few years, death- while the ultimate risk- is not the only risk faced by either profession. How many doctors are assaulted or injured by others while doing their job in a given year? In 2018, the most recent data I can find, there were over 60,000 assaults on officers- over 18,000 of them resulting in injury to an officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
That’s a really interesting comment - ‘not a high risk job’? Where have I been for the last seven months where more physicians died from Covid than police in the line of duty over multiple years? No one is trying our legislation back in CT and higher crime has a lot more to do with unemployment and pandemic related stress than police reform.

Kid: Why don’t you just shake hands with the facts rather than go ad hominem?

Old 10-19-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
We’re specifically discussing the police accountability bill in Connecticut, as it applies to crime in CT cities. Why you would quote a national opinion, that has zero to do with this specific bill, is beyond me.

Your police chief FIL should also tell you no-knock warrants are extremely rare in the state of CT, and account for a tiny fraction of the split second decision making controversial actions that have been brought to light nationwide. Limiting them is an example of criminal justice reform - not police accountability. They are granted and signed by a judge and overseen by the state attorney‘s office. The decision is not on law enforcement, and 99.9% of officers have never executed a no-knock warrant. Full stop.

In reference to Morning Consult, you do realize they poll from a selected opt-in panel, meaning only those who have signed up to take the survey can participate, right?

Next.
Quote:
Stop getting louder and more vitriolic because this isn’t breaking your way. There unfortunately isn’t any survey data at the state level (and you aren’t a resident) but is it really plausible that Uber liberal CT would trend more conservative than the country as a whole / plot dramatically differently? Not a chance
There is nothing vitriolic in my post that you quoted. You failed to address any point made. I’ll give you another shot.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:14 PM

145 posts, read 79,240 times
Quote:
I must have missed the factual data you presented. Maybe you can point me in that direction.

You’re the one who brought up your FIL being a police accountability supporting police chief to help keep your opinion relevant. Thankfully he’s in the minority (as are your opinions here). Someone at that level who supports such a laughably disconnected bill targeting the men and women they represented is, IMO, deserving of zero respect; so yeah, very glad he’s former - as are his ex-coworkers, I’m certain.

That actually couldn’t be further from the truth. The US is the most violent of any western nation you’re comparing it to. That’s precisely the reason US law enforcement trains and responds the way they do.
I think your argument conflates a few important notions then. Why is the US so much more violent? There are a number of reasons of course. But to frame police accountability as a reason for it is a stretch. It also basically says that our police methods aren’t working to reduce violence anyway because look at how violent our country is.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:18 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
There is nothing vitriolic in my post that you quoted. You failed to address any point made. I’ll give you another shot.
I’ve actually posted survey data for both the general public and LEO. I’m still waiting for substance from you.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I’ve actually posted survey data for both the general public and LEO. I’m still waiting for substance from you.
...which has a widely known faulty methodology. Try again.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:15 PM

34,935 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-10-2020, 06:06 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Little over 200 people shot in Hartford so far this year nearly as much bigger Boston, Newark, NJ, Buffalo, NY, Pittsburgh, PA

https://www.hartfordct.gov/files/ass...e-11-07-20.pdf

Hartford 22 homicides with 201 shot
Bridgeport 20 homicides with 170 shot
New Haven 19 with 101 shot
Waterbury 10 with 49 shot
West Haven 5
Meriden 4
Norwalk 3
Norwich 3
New Britain, 2
New London 2
Hamden 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut