Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 04:59 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You might want to look up the turnout numbers this election vs past elections. “Those people”... eyeroll.

You’re only thinking about the big 4/5. You’re forgetting the New Britain, Bristol, Manchester, West Haven, East Hartford, etc type cities. Those cities have a large percentage of urban poor who only vote Democrat. Without those cities, the state would be Republican every time. Full stop.
So you don't think people with incomes under 6 figures are legitimate voters?

Manchester and Bristol average household income is over 50k a year.

Not really sure the point of the statement.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:15 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post

There's a difference between 50K and urban poor.

Those cities have a high percentage of poor. East Hartford too. The south end of town and the center of town are very very different. East Hartford voted much more R than I expected and I will bet that came from the south end and probably east along Manchester. I'd be interested in seeing stats per district - is that even available?

All those voting R cannot overcome the scores of low income apartments in these towns where inhabitants are most likely to vote Dem.

Take a look at Kansas. Zoomed out that is a very red state. Zoomed in you'll see 3-4 of their big cities took the entire state blue.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:16 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:

Nobody said that. If you trace this discussion back a few pages, you’ll see it ignited when a poster claimed Republican voters were uneducated. That was countered with suggesting they not ignore the left has their fair share of uneducated voters, as well.

That’s the point of the statement.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Nobody said that. If you trace this discussion back a few pages, you’ll see it ignited when a poster claimed Republican voters were uneducated. That was countered with suggesting they not ignore the left has their fair share of uneducated voters, as well.

Thanks sorry must have missed that. In the end yeah both parties have a decent part of their base that are working poor/poor to put it one way. For (D) they are Urban for (R) they are rural. It is a trend thou that higher educated suburbs have started turning more blue and it appears to largely be a direct reaction to Trump himself more then anything Particularly with Women. You also have a flight of minorities that are semi conservative leaving due to the uprising of white nationalists and their ties to the GOP. If say Romney was President I doubt that trend would really exist.

Why these groups vote the way they do is complicated. David French from the National Review said it well a few years ago.
"People ask me all the time why the GOP doesn't just double down on economics and smaller government, instead of fighting battles on multiple fronts with social and other issue voters (Abortion, LGBT rights, Guns, Immigration, etc) And it's quite simple there is a large part of the GOP base particularly in the Midwest that only stay in the party because of those issues."

Old 11-08-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
There's a difference between 50K and urban poor.

Those cities have a high percentage of poor. East Hartford too. The south end of town and the center of town are very very different. East Hartford voted much more R than I expected and I will bet that came from the south end and probably east along Manchester. I'd be interested in seeing stats per district - is that even available?

All those voting R cannot overcome the scores of low income apartments in these towns where inhabitants are most likely to vote Dem.

Take a look at Kansas. Zoomed out that is a very red state. Zoomed in you'll see 3-4 of their big cities took the entire state blue.
Well in Kansas you have to look at population density of the areas. Same here in CT. If you look at some of the state house and senate races even wealthy suburbs in CT can be pretty Blue.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:54 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
Why these groups vote the way they do is complicated. David French from the National Review said it well a few years ago.
"People ask me all the time why the GOP doesn't just double down on economics and smaller government, instead of fighting battles on multiple fronts with social and other issue voters (Abortion, LGBT rights, Guns, Immigration, etc) And it's quite simple there is a large part of the GOP base particularly in the Midwest that only stay in the party because of those issues."
The irony here is that it also drives away people who would otherwise be a part of their base (upper middle class suburbanites in particular).

Old 11-08-2018, 08:46 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Thanks sorry must have missed that. In the end yeah both parties have a decent part of their base that are working poor/poor to put it one way. For (D) they are Urban for (R) they are rural. It is a trend thou that higher educated suburbs have started turning more blue and it appears to largely be a direct reaction to Trump himself more then anything Particularly with Women. You also have a flight of minorities that are semi conservative leaving due to the uprising of white nationalists and their ties to the GOP. If say Romney was President I doubt that trend would really exist.
In 1994 and 2010, the POTUS party in power lost dozens more seats each than the 2018 GOP. In those years, POTUS party lost Senators. Not so 2018.

Ct people, and I was born here, are not in touch with how regional the Democratic party has become. Northeast and Pacific Coast are really all it influences.

Trump IMO cut the GOP House bleed rate-and likely swung both Fl Gov & Senate race. His lack of popularity in the Northeast does not exist in Middle America. Nor Florida.

Ct is addicted to Big Government. Ct residents also claim they want job growth and a thriving economy. Those are mutually exclusive options. I will be shocked if Lamont even keeps up the horrible economic growth of Malloy-but I hope I am wrong.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
The GOP absolutely SHOULD be fighting tooth and nail against illegal immigration and in favor of gun rights. On the other hand, they should only stand against late term abortion (after fetus is viable) and leave LGTB alone!

Americans overwhelmingly are against illegal immigration and in favor of law abiding citizens having guns if they pass criminal background checks, but not the abortion and LBGT issues..

Last edited by papafox; 11-08-2018 at 09:29 AM..

Old 11-08-2018, 09:19 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:

Because fighting social issues do not cost money. If they [Republicans] wanted to reduce Govt it would cost their donors money. Republicans love to spend and they love big Govt.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:

Looking at the country as a whole the original statement holds true. On average highly educated voters are more likely to vote liberal. Connecticut may or may not be an exception to this rule.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut