Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 08:48 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Sadly, I expect that will be the result.
Agreed. And it’s unfortunate because CT was an otherwise wonderful state.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:51 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,145,020 times
Every time someone provides specific people who illustrate the "mass exodus" it always seems to be senior citizens moving to Florida.

Some of them happen to be very rich.

Failing to see the crisis.

Unless someone can provide a detailed study showing who these people leaving are--and their age--I remain unconvinced that this is anything more than pure scare tactics.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I keep seeing liberals say this, but fail to see what was so great about Lamont. Please - enlighten me. I regret Boughton wasn’t on the ballot but, Lamont?!

Enjoy more of an exodus than what’s already being experienced.
I’m hesitant about Lamont myself. But my entire point was the R candidate was bad. So while they blame liberals etc, a little inward retrospective would be good.

Boughton would’ve likely won. I would’ve voted for him without hesitation.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Every time someone provides specific people who illustrate the "mass exodus" it always seems to be senior citizens moving to Florida.

Some of them happen to be very rich.

Failing to see the crisis.

Unless someone can provide a detailed study showing who these people leaving are--and their age--I remain unconvinced that this is anything more than pure scare tactics.
I guess you haven’t heard of the brain drain CT is experiencing. It’s not at all just senior citizens. CT is losing young people at an alarming rate.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:00 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
I guess you haven’t heard of the brain drain CT is experiencing. It’s not at all just senior citizens. CT is losing young people at an alarming rate.
Of my family that lives in CT, only one left the state. He got a PhD from Yale and couldn't find a job here so he's working and living overseas. The others got their degrees and are doing really well here. One just bought a house in FFC, in fact. They don't come from a rich family, that's for sure. They worked and worked and found out what they wanted to do with their lives. My friend who is about to retire has paid off his mortgage and is now fixing up the house--not to sell it, but so they can enjoy it more.

I don't know any drs or lawyers, just ordinary people, but they can afford to live here. It's unlike MA where people are also leaving but they leave because they can't afford ANYTHING. There are no cheap places to in MA. The jobs are in Boston and people can't afford to live there. People are moving in from NYC and CA and the MA people are moving out. They say Boston is losing some of its charm because "real" people are leaving. Only the rather boring elite can afford to stay.

Some things need to be fixed here but this state is better than MA in some ways. MA is crazy liberal and CT is more in the middle.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:38 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah, almost every state has blue cities

Republicans don’t want to admit they ran a terrible candidate. Again.
I am a Republican and I will admit it. It is the rest of the party that won't.

The party had its best chance to elect a Republican Governor and Lt. Governor in decades and they failed miserably. They picked a right leaning businessman whose only policy was to cut taxes. There was little else to his platform and he made a ridiculous promise to eliminate the income tax that he later pushed back on. He also had a questionable history of not voting in past elections and being part of and contributing to the Democratic Party prior to becoming a Republican a few years back. Even worse he limited his media exposure and did not get out to the local communities anywhere near what he should have. The flaws in his campaign are many and I truly wonder that if he addressed any of them, if he would have won. There is no doubt that this state wanted change BUT when voters looked closer Stefanowski was not strong enough. And don't even get me started on that moron, Joe Markey.

What I found very interesting was the results here in Glastonbury which is normally a Republican leaning town. Lamont won by just 16 votes here. In general, the people I know here were very divided. They wanted change but they were not certain that Stefanowski was the right change. I was in a local coffee shop before the election and heard a lot of people on both sides of the vote. Change but not big change.

https://ctmirror.org/2018/11/09/blue...c7103-68207705

I do wonder why people keep saying that Ned Lamont is another Malloy. He is not a career politician. He is a businessman. He has shown he can talk to business leaders which is something Malloy seemed to have trouble doing. If people bothered to listen to what he really said rather than the neatly edited clips that an opposition group liked to run in their commercials, you would have heard that he realizes taxes need to be cut. He supported tolls and legalized marijuana because it would tap revenue not currently available. His comments on a statewide vehicle tax related to replacing the current system of each town taxing vehicles, not an additional tax. The opposition bent things to make it look like he wanted to tax people more which is not the case. Of course we will see what he does. Hopefully he will do better. Jay

Old 11-09-2018, 06:43 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Come on now, as I have said here a number of times, Connecticut is a highly educated state that produces a LOT more college educated people than a state its size can employ. Of course many of them must seek employment elsewhere. It is simple supply and demand theory. Would you rather we produce less educated kids? Jay

Old 11-09-2018, 07:32 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,942,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am a Republican and I will admit it. It is the rest of the party that won't.

The party had its best chance to elect a Republican Governor and Lt. Governor in decades and they failed miserably. They picked a right leaning businessman whose only policy was to cut taxes. There was little else to his platform and he made a ridiculous promise to eliminate the income tax that he later pushed back on. He also had a questionable history of not voting in past elections and being part of and contributing to the Democratic Party prior to becoming a Republican a few years back. Even worse he limited his media exposure and did not get out to the local communities anywhere near what he should have. The flaws in his campaign are many and I truly wonder that if he addressed any of them, if he would have won. There is no doubt that this state wanted change BUT when voters looked closer Stefanowski was not strong enough. And don't even get me started on that moron, Joe Markey.

What I found very interesting was the results here in Glastonbury which is normally a Republican leaning town. Lamont won by just 16 votes here. In general, the people I know here were very divided. They wanted change but they were not certain that Stefanowski was the right change. I was in a local coffee shop before the election and heard a lot of people on both sides of the vote. Change but not big change.

https://ctmirror.org/2018/11/09/blue...c7103-68207705

I do wonder why people keep saying that Ned Lamont is another Malloy. He is not a career politician. He is a businessman. He has shown he can talk to business leaders which is something Malloy seemed to have trouble doing. If people bothered to listen to what he really said rather than the neatly edited clips that an opposition group liked to run in their commercials, you would have heard that he realizes taxes need to be cut. He supported tolls and legalized marijuana because it would tap revenue not currently available. His comments on a statewide vehicle tax related to replacing the current system of each town taxing vehicles, not an additional tax. The opposition bent things to make it look like he wanted to tax people more which is not the case. Of course we will see what he does. Hopefully he will do better. Jay
I don't know if its the Republican party per se, or the election process. Lots of other states do a runoff when no candidate gets 50%. I'm not sure why any party would want to run a candidate who can't even win 50% of his or her own party. Same thing in the general election - no candidate got a majority this election. This is really something that CT should consider, for both the primaries and the general elections.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Come on now, as I have said here a number of times, Connecticut is a highly educated state that produces a LOT more college educated people than a state its size can employ. Of course many of them must seek employment elsewhere. It is simple supply and demand theory. Would you rather we produce less educated kids? Jay
It has nothing to do with producing less educated kids. It doesn’t change the fact that overall, we’re losing a huge percentage of those educated kids as compared to educated kids in other state’s.

20-somethings just don’t want to be in Connecticut.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:39 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,145,020 times
Quote:
I’ve heard of it. Many, many times. But always as vague assertions like the one you just offered. Show me the data of educated Millenials leaving. Then show me how it compares with other states in our region. And how it compares to CT’s numbers from a generation or two ago. Also show me these educated young people are migrating to lower taxed, lower cost of living states.

Until then I’ll go on assuming I’m being sold snake oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut