Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I question the accuracy. I wonder where the data comes from.

Westport at 1,685 to Manhattan seems REALLY low. And Darien at 1,323?

I also am skeptical that less than 800 Milford residents commute to Stamford or Norwalk, just based on people I know in town, and the sheer volume of Milfordites that get off the train in Stamford.

It's definitely not accurate at all. For my town, it doesn't show a single person working in NYC, or even White Plains for that matter. I simply know that is not true -- so many people in NF commute daily to White Plains. I'd say if it's not the number one commuting location, White Plains is pretty close to the top.

Same for Danbury -- not a single person works in Manhattan according to CERC; not a single person works in White Plains either. For Ridgefield, only 212 work in Manhattan, and zero in White Plains???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 12:32 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
It's definitely not accurate at all. For my town, it doesn't show a single person working in NYC, or even White Plains for that matter. I simply know that is not true -- so many people in NF commute daily to White Plains. I'd say if it's not the number one commuting location, White Plains is pretty close to the top.

Same for Danbury -- not a single person works in Manhattan according to CERC; not a single person works in White Plains either. For Ridgefield, only 212 work in Manhattan, and zero in White Plains???
Yes, I had noticed that. I wonder if CERC has not updated those towns yet to include out of state locations. Like I said, they previously did not list out of state job locations which as you can see in towns like Westport, Darien and Greenwich would make a big difference. I did check towns like Stonington, Thompson and Enfield and they appear to have been updated since they have out of state destinations listed. You might try emailing them to question that. I found an error on their New Britain profile and sent them an email to correct it. Jay

Old 06-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes, I had noticed that. I wonder if CERC has not updated those towns yet to include out of state locations. Like I said, they previously did not list out of state job locations which as you can see in towns like Westport, Darien and Greenwich would make a big difference. I did check towns like Stonington, Thompson and Enfield and they appear to have been updated since they have out of state destinations listed. You might try emailing them to question that. I found an error on their New Britain profile and sent them an email to correct it. Jay

Thanks

Old 06-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Here's a link to old CERC town profiles -- from 2000-2001. It doesn't break down the exact location that out of state commuters commute to, but it does show the number of people who commute to "New York." DECD: DECD: 2000-2001 Connecticut Town Profiles in Adobe PDF Format(only)

Old 06-05-2018, 01:22 PM

984 posts, read 599,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Huh? Not only Fairfield, but New Haven and Litchfield are all part of the New York City metropolitan area. https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ropolitan_area

“Commuter sheds” are far different than metro areas.
That's a common misconception.

None of CT is officially in the NYC metro area.
http://1y3k9w1hgks341lixk3c35d5.wpen...y-NY-NJ-PA.png

In fact, I was going to make a map on a town-by-town basis of which towns have over 25% of their workforce going into NYC (thereby making them in the metro)... but none of them do...
Even Darien, Greenwich, and New Canaan only have ~ 18-20%...
Obviously these towns should be in the area, so I think the definition is a bit flawed. I will make a new map showing % in each town and let you guys draw the line for yourselves. I think they're lowering the requirement to 15%, which makes more sense.

Here's my map:
https://i.imgur.com/kIwg8GE.png

What parts of CT ARE in is the "Combined Statistical Area." These counties may or may not have anything to do with the central city and are just lumped in for convenience purposes.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:38 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
That's a common misconception.

None of CT is officially in the NYC metro area.
http://1y3k9w1hgks341lixk3c35d5.wpen...y-NY-NJ-PA.png

In fact, I was going to make a map on a town-by-town basis of which towns have over 25% of their workforce going into NYC (thereby making them in the metro)... but none of them do...
Even Darien, Greenwich, and New Canaan only have ~ 18-20%...
Obviously these towns should be in the area, so I think the definition is a bit flawed. I will make a new map showing % in each town and let you guys draw the line for yourselves. I think they're lowering the requirement to 15%, which makes more sense.

Here's my map:
https://i.imgur.com/kIwg8GE.png

What parts of CT ARE in is the "Combined Statistical Area." These counties may or may not have anything to do with the central city and are just lumped in for convenience purposes.
Not sure where you're getting that info, but the MSA also includes CT. Which is a standard measure of a metro area.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...atistical_Area

Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not sure where you're getting that info, but the MSA also includes CT. Which is a standard measure of a metro area.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...atistical_Area
Again, that's a statistical area.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...C_Feb_2013.gif

on this *very* large map you can clearly see that none of CT is in the NYC Core area...

FFC is it's own BPT metro area...

Old 06-05-2018, 02:18 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
ProudFairfielder is confusing “CSA” with “greater metropolitan area”. There is no doubt that the three CT counties are part of the metro area. They may not be part of the CSA, because Stamford/Norwalk are very much their own employment destination.

Using the same map they posted above, you’ll see that the vast majority of northern NJ - which is indisputably part of greater NYC - is part of the “Newark” metro area.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 06-05-2018 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
ProudFairfielder is confusing “CSA” with “greater metropolitan area”. There is no doubt that the three CT counties are part of the metro area. They may not be part of the CSA, because Stamford/Norwalk are very much their own employment destination.

Using the same map they posted above, you’ll see that the vast majority of northern NJ - which is indisputably part of greater NYC - is part of the “Newark” metro area.
You're the one confused. CSAs are composed of metro areas, not the other way around. If you paid attention on the map, you'd notice the line dividing Newark from NYC is dotted, meaning that it is a metropolitan division inside of the same metro area.
Meanwhile, FFC's line is NOT dotted, delineating different metro areas.

Fairfield, CT is in the Bridgeport metropolitan area, a Different metro area than NYC, but admittedly in NYC's CSA.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:51 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
You're the one confused. CSAs are composed of metro areas, not the other way around. If you paid attention on the map, you'd notice the line dividing Newark from NYC is dotted, meaning that it is a metropolitan division inside of the same metro area.
Meanwhile, FFC's line is NOT dotted, delineating different metro areas.

Fairfield, CT is in the Bridgeport metropolitan area, a Different metro area than NYC, but admittedly in NYC's CSA.
Again - you’re confusing CSA with metro area. SW CT is part of the greater NYC area. Full stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut