Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 12:22 PM

328 posts, read 425,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'm not a fan personally. It has a weird feel with buildings mixed with parking lots, wide roads, etc. Reminds me of new construction in the sun belt.
The only road that has been widened in the new construction is Jefferson, part of the Urban Transitway meant to expedite auto travel to and from the train station and the East Side. It actually skirts Harbor Point.

Four lane Washington Blvd. remains the same width as it was, serving as a major connector from the Sound almost to Bulls Head in the North.

I heartily agree that architecturally the new builds are uninspired. However the high rises form a cool skyline looking South from both 95 and Metro North. There's also some good new restaurants (Harlan Social, Fortina, etc.) and the boardwalk on either side of the water is quite scenic. They've really cleaned up what was an ugly, industrial canal, even added a ferry from one side to the other.

There has been an effort to provide affordable housing in the new buildings, but the City needs to apply more pressure on the developer, BLT, to live up to their promises.

Also to clarify, "gentrification" is repair and renovation of existing buildings. That's not what is going on in Harbor Point -- or most of the city. It's 95% new construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
The only road that has been widened in the new construction is Jefferson, part of the Urban Transitway meant to expedite auto travel to and from the train station and the East Side. It actually skirts Harbor Point.

Four lane Washington Blvd. remains the same width as it was, serving as a major connector from the Sound almost to Bulls Head in the North.

I heartily agree that architecturally the new builds are uninspired. However the high rises form a cool skyline looking South from both 95 and Metro North. There's also some good new restaurants (Harlan Social, Fortina, etc.) and the boardwalk on either side of the water is quite scenic. They've really cleaned up what was an ugly, industrial canal, even added a ferry from one side to the other.

There has been an effort to provide affordable housing in the new buildings, but the City needs to apply more pressure on the developer, BLT, to live up to their promises.

Also to clarify, "gentrification" is repair and renovation of existing buildings. That's not what is going on in Harbor Point -- or most of the city. It's 95% new construction.
For some people, gentrification means being completely uprouted. Some other people might not be able to relate to that because it doesn't typically happen to those people.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:04 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'm not a fan personally. It has a weird feel with buildings mixed with parking lots, wide roads, etc. Reminds me of new construction in the sun belt.
Although I share the same feeling, sometimes I wonder if people in 1920s felt the same way about 1860s shacks being wrecked to allow swanky new buildings to go up. Now those “pre-war” buildings are classic.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:28 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Veterans Park remodeling project is still in the plans. I was at a local business waiting for their services and glanced through a current issue of Stamford magazine and ‘discovered’ this page.

This park is in downtown, on Atlantic Street by the Stamford Towne Center mall and across from the Old Town Hall.

Last night I drove on Atlantic Street and noticed the park is fenced off. I guess the remodeling will start soon.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Last night I drove on Atlantic Street and noticed the park is fenced off. I guess the remodeling will start soon.
I don't like it. It relegates the service memorials off to one corner of that plaza. They are fine where they are, commanding as they should the center of attention.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Had heard about this a month or so ago, good to know that it has come to fruition.
https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/bus...s-13078827.php

Old 07-16-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Had heard about this a month or so ago, good to know that it has come to fruition.
https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/bus...s-13078827.php
Wow! KPMG to occupy old UBS?

Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM

328 posts, read 425,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Wow! KPMG to occupy old UBS?
Just a portion of the space.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Just a portion of the space.
No wonder only 100 job net gain. I heard a major sports-related firm was also eyeing space in there.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 PM

222 posts, read 348,298 times
Point of Interest: Developer wants to expand plans for Atlantic Street residential building

245 Atlantic St.: The large brick apartment building planned for this site was back in front of the Zoning Board this week with the developers requesting a change to make the structure even larger. The development, which was approved two years ago to be seven stories high, was meant to appear similar to an early 1900’s mercantile structure, on what is now a parking lot for The Basilica of Saint John the Evangelist. The new plan calls for two more stories comprised of more than 70 additional units. The change, according to the developer True North LLC, was prompted by the new 13-story structure, replacing a St. John tower, slated to go up next door.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loc...m-85307-tbla-9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut