Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 08:53 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

That part of Stamford isn't known for NIMBY-ism. Whatever resistance might arise will not be enough to produce any change. On top of that, its a handful of homes that will potentially be affected by an increase in traffic. I think in this case the greater good supersedes that. If the concern is speeding, a couple of speed bumps would do the trick.

With that said, I don't really think traffic along those street will increase dramatically on a daily basis. Maybe before a storm hits, given that Nutmeggers suffer from procrastination when it comes to preparing for a storm, especially in the winter.

The home owners/residents along there might even appreciate that they will be able to walk to the home improvement store if they truly want to. Any person that loves to constantly fix/add things in his home would feel as if he's in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 5,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
T
With that said, I don't really think traffic along those street will increase dramatically on a daily basis. Maybe before a storm hits, given that Nutmeggers suffer from procrastination when it comes to preparing for a storm, especially in the winter.
I agree with you. Traffic will not increase dramatically on those streets because access to them is so roundabout. Which is exactly why the traffic on West Main will not be alleviated much by your alternatives.

The bottleneck between West Street and Stillwater on West Main will remain unless street parking is eliminated and left turn lanes at West are added. Even then it's going to be a nightmare.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:54 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Why people say its a Home Depot when the chain hasn't been confirmed?

There are other home improvement stores out there. I personally hope its a Lowes.

I'm thinking Home Depot. Someone recently told me the Norwalk one is the most profitable on the east coast.
The new Lowes has been a disaster so far, nice, but the place is always empty - weekdays and weekends.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was gone in a couple of years.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I'm thinking Home Depot. Someone recently told me the Norwalk one is the most profitable on the east coast.
The new Lowes has been a disaster so far, nice, but the place is always empty - weekdays and weekends.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was gone in a couple of years.
I find it odd that a Lowes anywhere in southwestern Connecticut would do poorly. Any idea why? Jay

Old 11-13-2015, 12:44 PM

854 posts, read 1,241,433 times
I can't think of any shopping centers in Stamford that have direct non-emergency vehicular access from minor residential streets.

E.g.
  • look at Wardwell Street just east of Shippan Avenue - no access to Shop Rite
  • Winter Street dead-ends - no access to shopping along High Ridge
  • Knapp St has access to Springdale shopping, but the entrance is very close to Hope St
  • Even Turn of River Road lacks access to High Ridge shopping, though you can get to Newfield Green from Belltown Road

Generally speaking turning residential cul-de-sacs into shopping center driveways is not the way things are done in the US.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:47 PM

854 posts, read 1,241,433 times
Quote:
The home owners/residents along there might even appreciate that they will be able to walk to the home improvement store if they truly want to..
Also, this is not consistent with US practice/mentality (what are they buying at Home Depot/Lowe's that they can carry home in their arms?). And this doesn't get to the distinction between vehicular access (frowned upon) and pedestrian access (generally acceptable, although there may be concerns re: crime).

Old 11-13-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
I can't think of any shopping centers in Stamford that have direct non-emergency vehicular access from minor residential streets.

E.g.
  • look at Wardwell Street just east of Shippan Avenue - no access to Shop Rite
  • Winter Street dead-ends - no access to shopping along High Ridge
  • Knapp St has access to Springdale shopping, but the entrance is very close to Hope St
  • Even Turn of River Road lacks access to High Ridge shopping, though you can get to Newfield Green from Belltown Road

Generally speaking turning residential cul-de-sacs into shopping center driveways is not the way things are done in the US.
Some examples in Stamford.

West Side's Stop & Shop

Springdale's shopping center with a CVS

The Turn of River shopping center on High Ridge Road and Vine Street

High Ridge Road shopping center with a People's Bank

Turn of River shopping center on High Ridge Road

High Ridge Road shopping center at Bulls Head

Donut Delight on Elm Street

East Main Street shopping center by the train tracks

Long Ridge Road shopping center with a Dunkin Donut

BevMax on East Main Street

AutoZone on East Main Street

Taco Bell on East Main Street

All they are going to build on the West Side is one home improvement store.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Also, this is not consistent with US practice/mentality (what are they buying at Home Depot/Lowe's that they can carry home in their arms?). And this doesn't get to the distinction between vehicular access (frowned upon) and pedestrian access (generally acceptable, although there may be concerns re: crime).
Most people I have seen buying stuff at Norwalk's Home Depot usually buy things they can carry to their cars and in fact many do that.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:18 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Most people I have seen buying stuff at Norwalk's Home Depot usually buy things they can carry to their cars and in fact many do that.
Nobody buys sheets of plywood, appliances or plumbing pipe?

Old 11-14-2015, 04:07 PM

Update on the hotel on Atlantic Street.

Update on the condos on Bedford Street.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut