Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 AM

243 posts, read 773,891 times

Advertisements

The reason Stratford has violence is due to it bordering the worst area of Bridgeport, the East Side. That crime has made its way eastward into that region of Stratford. For the most part, Stratford is a nice city, but the area down by Barnum, etc. is really rough.

Stratford High School is worse then Bunnell, and I've heard bad things about both. To be honest, Newark is alot worse in terms of crime numbers then Stratford, but like you said the hood is the hood and you can't escape the crime aspect if you live near there or close to there. However, if you don't live in the "hood" section of Stratford I don't understand why your son would be in this situation, it might be the people in the school, but I'm saying try and switch schools if its really gotten to the point where guns are being drawn.

Gangs are dumb anyways, bloods, crips. I honestly laugh at that stuff. It's sad when a group of people have to beat one person up, or shoot or stab them. Whatever happened to one-on-one fist fight...gangs in CT maybe becoming more common but I honestly think they are all fake.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 AM

200 posts, read 610,913 times
Sounds to me like your son was involved with some gang activity in Newark and he is still dealing with the repercussions here. I wouldnt recommend moving back to EWR. If his life is at stake, yours is too. Get involved with the witness protection program. Don't post here about it because anyone can see it!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM

95 posts, read 320,478 times
Theres no bloods or crips in stratford, if anything its a bunch of young kids bull****tin.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,297 times
lol, thats what I was thinking. Got a lil story.

So there's this kid from Norwalk that lives on my floor. In January, he was telling me how "hood" his town was. Me, being from Waterbury and not knowing anything about Fairfield County, said "oh really". So last week, there was a shooting by Norwalk High supposedly afterschool (cant find it anywhere online), and one of the kids got shot. The kid that I go to school with was almost happy. He said to me "I told u Norwalk was hood".

Now, I dont kno about anybody else, but I use the term "hood" to describe ppl who grew up in families that were cracked out in the eighties. Is there alot of crack families in these Fairfield County towns, like Stratford and Norwalk? umm, prolly not. Bad *ss kids that watch too much tv? Maybe. I mean, I'm not gonna sit here and tell u that the city where I grew up is the most moral place to grow up, but it is hood by my definition, and u better believe that I kno a hella lot of people that will make u feel like a b*tch for bringing a weapon to a fist fight.

I had to explain this to the kid because he seemed a little confused. lol. And thats my piece.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:07 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post

So there's this kid from Norwalk that lives on my floor. In January, he was telling me how "hood" his town was. Me, being from Waterbury and not knowing anything about Fairfield County, said "oh really". So last week, there was a shooting by Norwalk High supposedly afterschool (cant find it anywhere online), and one of the kids got shot. The kid that I go to school with was almost happy. He said to me "I told u Norwalk was hood".

Now, I dont kno about anybody else, but I use the term "hood" to describe ppl who grew up in families that were cracked out in the eighties. Is there alot of crack families in these Fairfield County towns, like Stratford and Norwalk? umm, prolly not. Bad *ss kids that watch too much tv? Maybe. I mean, I'm not gonna sit here and tell u that the city where I grew up is the most moral place to grow up, but it is hood by my definition, and u better believe that I kno a hella lot of people that will make u feel like a b*tch for bringing a weapon to a fist fight.

I had to explain this to the kid because he seemed a little confused. lol. And thats my piece.
My cousin teaches at McMahon where this shooting took place. Trust me, parts of Norwalk are the "hood." The area behind SoNo is very seedy and can be dangerous. This area is arguably worse than Waterbury's worst sections.

You should hear what my cousin has to deal with in that high school...

Old 02-26-2009, 03:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
The reason Stratford has violence is due to...........
How many murders have occurred in Stratford over the last 5/10/20 years? How many shootings have been reported over the years? I take offense to your terminology here, as you seem to imply that the town has issues comparable to the cities. That is far from the case. I wouldn't hesitate to walk down >99% of the streets in this town.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
How many murders have occurred in Stratford over the last 5/10/20 years? How many shootings have been reported over the years? I take offense to your terminology here, as you seem to imply that the town has issues comparable to the cities. That is far from the case. I wouldn't hesitate to walk down >99% of the streets in this town.
Stratford is a middle class town, and lots of people in CT have a problem with that. Elitism at its best (or would it be worst?).

Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nish2006 View Post
Hmmm... I know at least six families in my neighborhood with kids at Bunnell (or those who recently graduated), who would either laugh at this statement, or be upset by it. I presume you have grounds for stating such a thing? If so, I'd love to hear them, so I can take a decision to relocate to a better district in 11 years. Maybe Newark ?
Maybe Hartford, nish? Or is Hartford also worse than Newark now?

Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM

243 posts, read 773,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post

Bridgeport is hood. More hood then any city in Connecticut.

In Stamford, yes there is North Stamford lined with multi-million dollar estates, but there are parts of Stamford (West Side I believe) that are extremely dangerous. Norwalk and Statford too. The reason Stamford and Norwalk as well as Statford don't seem hood is because there are very small pockets of dangerous neighborhoods, where as Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury have many more types of these "bad" neighborhoods.

Fairfield County might seem like the most desirabe place to live, but you should know that the wealth/poor gap here is one of the highest in the country. In the bad parts of Stamford, Norwalk, Stratford and Bridgeport are just as notorious for crack dealing, shootings, and robberies as any other city in this nation.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:18 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,297 times
nah I wasnt tryin to dispute u Mets, I'm just sayin, I was always taught that only a coward would pull out the cooley at a fist fight.

Kid, I know that its wrong to assume, but even on this website there is a big difference with comparing the price of homes in the larger cities in fairfield County (excluding bridgeport) to the prices of homes in Waterbury or Bridgeport. Look at them. City-data.com says that the average value of a home in Stratford is $300,000. Norwalk-$507,000.. Now look at Waterbury, where the average is $165,000 and Hartford-$173,000.

My point is that there is obviously a difference in lifestyle here. What's the source of the problem in Stratford and Norwalk? Their poverty levels are no where near that of Hartford, Waterbury or Bridgeport. It can't be that bad if there's an area where someone would buy a home for $300,000.

Go on the website and take a look at the poverty levels between Norwalk and Stratford and then look at Waterbury and Hartford. Uncomparable.

There's a big difference between crazy kids that will rob u because theyre stuck in their ways and kids that turned out bad because of bad parenting or they simply try too hard to be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut