Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2021, 07:16 PM

266 posts, read 235,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindb29 View Post
So are you living here or just visiting? I mean, if you don't like the way town is set up, that's your opinion. But if you are visiting with the intent to move here and don't like the way town is set up, this may not be the place for you.
Thanks Justin for your post and feedback. Not sure if this thread is mainly intended for pro-Cookeville touting posts. There are a lot of cool parts to Cookeville and the people are super friendly. One side that hasn't been discussed so much, an absence particularly striking in a thread called "Cookeville's model downtown," is the fact that the downtown actually is more a model for cars than people and is not nice to walk around in. Is that okay to talk about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 07:26 PM

93 posts, read 100,282 times
It should be okay, ya know, since those are legitimate gripes. I don't even think the people here are all that friendly when you put them behind the wheel of a hulking piece of heavy machinery with four wheels and the blessing of America. That's the case everywhere, really, I suppose.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:38 PM

266 posts, read 235,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qizilbash View Post
It should be okay, ya know, since those are legitimate gripes. I don't even think the people here are all that friendly when you put them behind the wheel of a hulking piece of heavy machinery with four wheels and the blessing of America. That's the case everywhere, really, I suppose.
This is part of the reason why stop lights are so bad. People just assume since our engineering experts put them in they have to be there. But it's really a value judgment that citizens should make.

It turns people driving cars into adversaries. Everyone is trying to beat the red light. It encourages speeding to beat the other cars and people waiting to go. As opposed to stop signs which is like a communal friendly activity. There is no way to speed and beat a stop sign. You look the other drivers or pedestrians in the eye and people are generally gracious and wave the other person forward.

I honestly don't remember a single stop sign in downtown Cookeville now that I think about it. Just stop lights. I must be mistaken on that but maybe I'll go through there again tomorrow and look at that.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:29 PM

93 posts, read 100,282 times
Aside from the square, there are only a few traffic lights downtown. Some make absolutely no practical and financial sense (1st and Dixie; like, why? Does Dixie traffic through traffic really need to be prioritized that badly?). But there are a handful of 4-way-stop intersections with stop signs.

It would be pretty awesome if they restricted Broad Street between Walnut and Cedar to pedestrian access only.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:25 AM

303 posts, read 294,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
Thanks Justin for your post and feedback. Not sure if this thread is mainly intended for pro-Cookeville touting posts. There are a lot of cool parts to Cookeville and the people are super friendly. One side that hasn't been discussed so much, an absence particularly striking in a thread called "Cookeville's model downtown," is the fact that the downtown actually is more a model for cars than people and is not nice to walk around in. Is that okay to talk about?

By all means talk about it. But you are coming across as just bashing the city more often than not. Is it perfect? No. Is there a lot of room for improvement? Certainly. The majority of citizens love our town though.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qizilbash View Post
Aside from the square, there are only a few traffic lights downtown. Some make absolutely no practical and financial sense (1st and Dixie; like, why? Does Dixie traffic through traffic really need to be prioritized that badly?). But there are a handful of 4-way-stop intersections with stop signs.

It would be pretty awesome if they restricted Broad Street between Walnut and Cedar to pedestrian access only.

Pedestrian-only on this part of the West Side has been talked about but no current plans to do so. My guess is because of the lack of parking downtown. I think it would be neat to see this happen because I don't like driving through there, but who knows. They passed a city ordinance to stripe the parking spots to prevent longer vehicles from parking through there but I haven't heard of anybody actually getting a ticket. I still see lots of longer vehicles parked in there, which is unfortunate.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:10 AM

529 posts, read 490,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
(Incidentally, the country roads out of towns are 2 lanes and narrow and seem slightly scary and dangerous to me. Are accidents rare on these roads? At night?)

Although this is about downtown, I live just outside of town and drive (and live) on those narrow roads. The accident rate is no better, or worse than the normal rate. The narrow roads do keep the speeds down for the most part, and yes, it does get interesting at times with large vehicles on the road (I drive a full size pickup and a number of times a year pull my large toy hauler). You do stay on your toes. Like anything, you need to drive them enough to get comfortable on them.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Although this is about downtown, I live just outside of town and drive (and live) on those narrow roads. The accident rate is no better, or worse than the normal rate. The narrow roads do keep the speeds down for the most part, and yes, it does get interesting at times with large vehicles on the road (I drive a full size pickup and a number of times a year pull my large toy hauler). You do stay on your toes. Like anything, you need to drive them enough to get comfortable on them.

I second this. I grew up on narrow country roads in East Tennessee and drive on some around here fairly often. You learn to slow down and be courteous. Of course, there is always some idiot that drives too fast but everybody is used to it.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:05 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
The biggest void in downtown Cookeville the last year is about to get filled. Crawdaddy's has announced it's reopening tomorrow (December 28) after being destroyed by a fire a year ago. There's a cool video on their Facebook page announcing their reopening. I'm sure the crowds will be heavy so I think I'll wait a few days. But this should be very exciting news not just for the Cookeville restaurant scene but also for the entire WestSide area of downtown. I have friends who live as far away as Nashville who would drive all the way to Cookeville to have a night out on the WestSide, anchored around dinner at Crawdaddy's.

https://www.facebook.com/crawdaddys.cookeville

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-21-2022, 09:49 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Another coffee shop is coming to downtown, The Exceptional Bean. Lest anyone think that the downtown coffee shop scene is getting too crowded, Soul Craft and Broast are both helping with this venture. The Exceptional Bean will be a coffee shop that employs only those with disabilities and special needs. The owners, Cigi and Michael England, work with area agencies, specifically Rising Above Ministries and Ainsley's Angels, that help the disabled and saw a need for this kind of business. They also say they are "Cookeville's biggest cheerleaders" and are eager to do something to help the whole community. Michael is originally from Crossville, and Cigi spent 8 years working in the fashion industry in Atlanta before returning to run her very successful clothing boutique just off the courthouse square in downtown Cookeville.

One Hour Martinizing is consolidating its two locations into the one behind Kroger, so The Exceptional Bean will take over One Hour's former location at the corner of 1st and Walnut which means it will be the only coffee shop on the West Side with a drive-thru window. They're shooting for a spring opening. This location will also be just outside of Dogwood Park and a few feet away from the downtown farmers market.

In this radio interview with Tiffany Anton, Cigi and Michael describe their journey to opening The Exceptional Bean and mention many members of the community who are donating time, labor, money, and material for the cause.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville