Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2022, 06:28 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Capacity of 92 was a long shot for an MM.
Yeah it would've been on the small side.

There's more info at 94.1 about plans for this pizzeria and wine bar. As can be expected from Chad Combs, the pizza won't be just ordinary pizza but will include things like different kinds of mushrooms, homemade mozzarella, different sausages such as soppressata, locally sourced ingredients, etc. Plus, while part of the space will be a typical brick oven pizzeria, there will also be a rooftop bar which will be a welcomed first for downtown Cookeville.

https://newstalk941.com/new-pizzeria...-first-street/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 10:03 AM

The developer of the old Builders Supply property hasn't finalized plans but is toying around with having a mixture of housing types, such as townhomes and 6-plex buildings. I'm very excited about what this development can potentially do for downtown Cookeville. Downtown Cookeville is already thriving with restaurants, breweries, cafés, food trucks, galleries, boutiques, performing arts, festivals, etc. It's only natural that there would be more housing developments to follow.

Now that the county is moving forward with building a large pavilion and a separate conference center along Tennessee Avenue--with a hotel developer interested in building an on-site hotel--I think the hotel/conference center that had been proposed for downtown won't happen. So those 6 or so acres, which lie between Builders Supply and the Depot, will become primed for more downtown housing, hopefully some mixed use buildings with commercial/retail as well as residences. I think the demand is definitely there for a lot more downtown housing than Cookeville currently has.

https://newstalk941.com/downtown-liv...in-cookeville/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-03-2022, 04:13 PM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Speaking of downtown Cookeville, CityScape has created a survey to see what people want in the historic Westside area of downtown. Some of the suggestions are for things like public art, retail and housing, pedestrian areas including closing Broad between Cedar and Walnut and making it a pedestrian zone, parking, landscaping, other businesses and services. I included in my comments that downtown needs another grocery store since Spring Street Supermarket closed. I would also like to see something like Biscuit Love come to the Westside. There's already an impressive variety of eating places in the Westside (BBQ, upscale Southern, Cajun, Vietnamese, Indian, Japanese, best doughnuts in the world, cupcakes, pizza, French bakery, Italian, breweries, burgers, breakfast, sandwiches) but a Biscuit Love would be a welcomed addition. If Broad were closed between Cedar and Walnut and made into a pedestrian plaza, I think we'd see even more outdoor cafés.

Here's the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QHPXY...Z9EgCjf_UvlrD8

Old 06-04-2022, 07:34 AM

There's a nice article in Nashville Voyager about Nashville's Bruce Heard and his colorful past which led him to open The Munkey Wrench in downtown Cookeville. The Munkey Wrench is a fun place to browse, and Bruce Heard is a very interesting person to talk to.

https://nashvillevoyager.com/intervi...fOQZqc5vaGJW-8

https://www.facebook.com/themunkeywrench

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-26-2022, 04:22 PM

I was downtown today and snapped a few pictures of a couple of projects: one that's almost finished, and one that's getting started. The one that's almost finished is the mixed use building on Cedar by the RR tracks, and the one that's getting started is the pizza place with rooftop bar that's going in on 1st St across from Red Silo Brewing Company.

Here are the Google Streetviews of the decrepit old building and its gravel parking lot that used to be on Cedar by the RR tracks:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1644...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1649...7i13312!8i6656

And what's there now:

It won't win any awards for edgy architecture, but in my opinion it's a vast improvement over what was there before. And since I don't see any For Rent or Lease signs, I assume it's fully leased? It looks like the ground floor businesses are all some kind of medical offices.

That first picture also shows the empty lot where there used to be storage units. The city is making that into a parking lot which will coincide with replacing the on-street parking with bike lanes.

In this picture, you can see that work has gotten started on the vacant lot which will become a parking lot for the gourmet pizza place and wine bar that will be going in the long building with the red brick façade across the street from Red Silo. The developer of the pizza place plans on having a rooftop bar as part of the development which I think will be Cookeville's first rooftop bar. Maybe someday soon the city will "cityscape" that part of downtown which means burying all those overhead wires, adding more sidewalks, and replacing the streetlights with more decorative lamps as has been done on Cedar, Broad, and around the courthouse square.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-18-2022 at 06:45 AM..

Old 06-29-2022, 05:23 PM

Another bookstore is coming to downtown Cookeville.

Work began June 1 to turn 35 W. Spring St. into a new independent bookstore and event space. The store, called Plenty on Spring, will feature a carefully curated selection of books, both classics and new releases.

Highlights will include the latest bestsellers, books by Tennessee authors, a large children’s section, locally made goods and other carefully selected gift items. The shop will also be home to a regular string of events like local singer songwriter performances, theater troupes, children’s events, classes and workshops, book clubs and more.

The event side of Plenty on Spring will also house a café serving up a great selection of drinks, snacks, local Tennessee cheeses and will even offer loose leaf tea and freshly baked cookies.

The owners of this new bookstore are David and Lisa Uhrik who moved to Cookeville from Massachusetts a few years ago and brought with them their manufacturing company, Franklin Fixtures where they design and build shelving and display cases for bookstores and libraries around the country.

The location of this bookstore is next door to PhotoArt Studio and Gallery and across the street from The Table Board Game Lounge, Picasso's Gift Shop, and Marilee Hall Studios. And Dairy Queen! Lest we think that they're moving in on other bookstores' turf, they will be collaborating with Walls of Books on Jefferson, the public library, and Harper's Rare Books a couple of blocks away in downtown's historic WestSide. Parking for the bookstore will be next to Vertical Coffee Company (formerly known as Broast).

“We love the collaborative spirit in this region and getting to add to the exciting things that are happening in downtown Cookeville,” said Lisa.

The vision of the Uhriks does not end with Spring Street. The overarching project is one called Plenty on Poplar and includes plans for a destination bookstore in the form of a barn, soon to be built on a lovely piece of land adjacent to City Lake in Cookeville.

The barn bookstore/venue, called Plenty on Poplar, will be set among lavender fields and will host farm-to-table events, author events, outdoor concerts and will even include a dog park. The hope is to do big things.

The website of this new bookstore:
http://www.plentyonspring.com

To read more about the bookstore from today's UCBJ:
https://www.ucbjournal.com/%ef%bf%bc...wn-cookeville/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 06-29-2022 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-17-2022, 06:50 PM

The Exceptional Bean, a coffee shop whose mission is "To provide employment opportunities in a supportive environment for individuals with disabilities" has opened at 55 North Walnut in the old One Hour Martinizing (dry cleaning) business. It's a cool building located on the corner of 1st and Walnut just outside Dogwood Park and a half block from the farmers market. Other downtown coffee shops are very supportive of The Exceptional Bean and have helped train the owners and employees. Closed on Sundays, they're open 6:30-6:30 M-F and 8-2 on Saturdays.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100069708975349

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-28-2022 at 07:00 AM..

Old 07-19-2022, 03:03 PM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
I'm relieved to know that Taiko has not closed permanently. According to today's H-C it's closed for renovation. It must be some serious renovation as they don't expect to reopen until the end of the year. I also didn't know that Taiko is owned by the same people who own House of Thai which is my favorite Thai place in Cookeville.

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/i...o-closed,60682

Old 07-19-2022, 04:22 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
I also didn't know that Taiko is owned by the same people who own House of Thai which is my favorite Thai place in Cookeville.
Seems like the owners have or maybe it was had a vested interest in Rice Time Bistro as well.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:11 AM

While looking at commercial real estate listings for Cookeville, I noticed that the site downtown just south of the Depot where the Hilton hotel and conference center were going to go has been taken off the market. Does anyone know if it's sold, or are they merely recalibrating the listing? There's definitely a need for a downtown hotel as well as more downtown retail, but especially housing.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville