Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2022, 03:08 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
The Cookeville Planning Commission recommended the approval of the rezoning of this property between Spring and Depot streets from local commercial to central business district.

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/o...elopment,57682
I'm very excited about this proposed development although I can't figure out from the article just how many residential units we're talking about.

The property, which includes about 5.24 acres, is approved for 91 residential units to connect to sewer, according to Cookeville Planning Department Director Jon Ward.

"On the eastern side, 85 residential units were not approved," [Cookeville Planning Department Director John] Ward said.

Sewer improvements, including several hundred feet of eight-inch sewer line, would need to be replaced with a 10-inch line.

"No building permits could be issued for the eastern section until improvements are made," Ward said.

[Developer Aaron] Bernhardt estimated the cost is $50,000 just for the one sewer component.

"If we build 30 homes versus 140 homes, we can disperse that cost over multiple units," he said. "Plus we have to tear down."

So does Bernhardt want to build 140 homes on 5.24 acres or 176 homes? Either way, that many new homes right in the middle of downtown will be very, very popular. I'm also encouraged by how Bernhardt described what they'll look like:

"It's going to be a downtown look," Bernhardt said. "I haven't put it all on paper yet, old but new, all brick, like you see in Nashville, a more commercial look to fit in the west town area."

Bernhardt said the demographics of people moving to the Cookeville area are "all over the place" but predicts the demand is for more "urban living."

"You don't know if it's going to be a family of two, a family of four, a single person," he said. "I know there's a need for housing. I would say it's going to be more urban living where there's going to be less green space. There's been several requests, businesses around the area, wanting to walk to work. Big companies around the area want the urban feel, a cool place to live, (where you can) walk directly to work."

I personally know many, many people, mainly singles and couples but also some young families, who would dearly love to live downtown. And Bernhardt does quality work. I'm really eager to see what this will look like.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 07:52 PM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
The Cookeville Planning Commission recommended the approval of the rezoning of this property between Spring and Depot streets from local commercial to central business district.

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/o...elopment,57682
There more info in today's UCBJ. Looks like we might know what this development will look like within 3 months.

Bernhardt said that the project is in the early stages and that he expects it to be 90 days before they have any specifics. If the city council approves that rezoning, he expects demolition of the existing building to begin in June or July.

Planning Commission Chairman Jim Woodford said, “It sounds very good and promising. I like the idea of having people in our downtown.”

Planning commission member Leslie Sullins Draper added, “It’s a real opportunity that you could make a real showstopper for us and that would be wonderful.”

“That’s what we plan to do,” Bernhardt replied.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:47 PM

266 posts, read 235,711 times
I hate zoning so much. Central govt planning of how we live. It is clearly Communism.

Old 04-01-2022, 03:03 PM

93 posts, read 100,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
I hate zoning so much. Central govt planning of how we live. It is clearly Communism.
That's a pretty loose definition.

Also, it's pretty nice for there to be some regulations so that, like, Hog Farm Incorporated doesn't buy up the land in the middle of town to, you know, grow broccoli. Cookeville's codes are pretty inoffensive compared to larger cities.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qizilbash View Post
That's a pretty loose definition.

Also, it's pretty nice for there to be some regulations so that, like, Hog Farm Incorporated doesn't buy up the land in the middle of town to, you know, grow broccoli. Cookeville's codes are pretty inoffensive compared to larger cities.
Totally agreed.

I hate this expression, but this development really does have the potential to be a real game changer for downtown Cookeville. More quotes from the UCBJ article:

[Developer Aaron] Bernhardt added, “There’s been several requests from businesses around the area with employees wanting to walk to work. Big companies around the area want the urban feel, a cool place to live. They want to live there and be able to walk directly to work.”

City Planner Jon Ward said, “As long as we improve the pedestrian infrastructure, possibly wider sidewalks, this could be a good development for the city.”

If this is successful--and I have every reason to believe that it will be--look for more residential development downtown, especially in some of the more underwhelming lots between downtown and the hospital. The hospital alone employs over 2,500 people, and I'm sure many of them would love to live within walking distance of work. Likewise, TTU has 13-14,000 people on campus between students and staff, many of whom would be ideal candidates to live in a lively downtown neighborhood within walking or biking distance to the university. Downtown Knoxville has certainly benefitted from being so close to U.T. and Fort Sanders hospital, and downtown Cookeville should benefit from being so close to TTU and CRMC, too.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 04-05-2022 at 09:38 PM..

Old 04-03-2022, 07:07 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Channel 5's weather people Leland Statom and Nikki-Dee Ray and their crew were in downtown Cookeville a couple of days ago and reportedly had a great time. Nikki-Dee posted on her Facebook page that she and her husband David want to come back and spend more time in our adorable downtown. They're looking for suggestions.

Cookeville has "model downtown"-nikki-dee-ray.png

https://www.facebook.com/nikkideeray

Old 04-25-2022, 09:10 AM

It looks like another pizzeria is coming downtown. Someone called "RBI Group" is petitioning the city to rezone the old Putnam Printing building on 1st Street so they can open a bar and pizzeria. I have no other information other than the concept and schematics which show seating for 92 and a new, much-needed parking lot where there's currently just a vacant, grassy lot. This is located directly across the street from India Palace and Red Silo Brewing.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-25-2022, 10:30 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,842 times
For that building...I would like to guess Mellow Mushroom....MM prefers to be in older, established buildings in popular city districts. RBI Group is likely not Restaurant Brands International...so, probably a local (semi-local) group...who knows....

Fingers crossed.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
For that building...I would like to guess Mellow Mushroom....MM prefers to be in older, established buildings in popular city districts. RBI Group is likely not Restaurant Brands International...so, probably a local (semi-local) group...who knows....

Fingers crossed.
Alas, it's not going to be a Mellow Mushroom. But it looks like it'll still be something good. Chad Combs, the chef who owns the Putnam Room on the Square (which is absolutely amazing) is planning on opening a pizzeria and wine bar incorporating local produce and ingredients. He's already started working on the interior of the building and hopes to open by November.

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/c...Y91ZI2C1v2yVPE

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-25-2022, 08:36 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,842 times
Capacity of 92 was a long shot for an MM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville