Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
600 People Involved in Movie Theater Brawl, 5 Arrested

Stories like this seem more common these days.
I've never liked movie theaters. For me and my wife, here's the scoop:

-Two tickets would cost ~$20 (same price as a DVD)
-There's the extra expense of gas to get to the theater
-Our physical dimensions preclude us being comfortable in theater seats
-You can't eat during the movie unless you sneak food in (which lots of people do, though they do claim it's against the rules) or pay a 2,000% markup on theater food items such as popcorn and soda.
-You never know who will be around you in the theater and in which obnoxious behaviors they will engage (talking, laughing, groping, texting, farting, etc... or maybe they just have body odor).

In the end, you have nothing to show for your $20 aside from ticket stubs.

In contrast, for that same $20, you can buy the DVD when it comes out. If you buy the DVD, here's what happens:

-You do indeed have to wait until it comes out, meaning you are perpetually three months behind the cutting edge of cinematic entertainment.
-If you like the movie, you can keep the DVD and watch it as many times as you wish. If you don't like the movie, you can sell/trade the DVD and get at least a few bucks back.
-You can watch the movie in the comfort of your own home. No driving to/from the theater, and you get to sit in comfort on the bed, sofa, recliner, etc.
-You can eat whatever you want to eat, and chances are it cost you far less than what it'd have cost at the theater.
-No obnoxious strangers will be anywhere nearby.
-You can start the movie at any time, pause it if you have to get up to pee, rewind it to see funny parts again, etc.

And then, there is the ever-increasing problem of mass murder or mayhem at movie theaters. I think I'll just buy the DVD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:50 AM

7,539 posts, read 17,228,595 times
I grew up in northeast Tennessee and going to the theater was a pleasurable experience. Tickets were around $7 (cheaper before 5pm), food was expensive but not outrageous. Everyone was polite and courteous.

Here in Memphis, I have been a couple times, but mostly avoid it. Malco theaters has a monopoly on the theater industry in town, and they suck. Tickets are $10+, a small popcorn is like $9, and people talk on the phone and/or verbally interact with the on-screen characters, which I find somewhat psychotic and disturbing. Even the nicest theater is just okay. The one closest to me smells like old feet.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:58 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,534 times
Yes! Although I stopped going because what Hollywood is producing is boring, regurgitated junk.

***I do make an exception for the Rocky Horror Picture Show every couple of years...

Old 12-30-2013, 01:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
New plan...we cancelled our plans.
Nothing we really wanted to watch.
Everything looks so stupid.

I like the point someone else made about how the price of tickets = price of a blu ray.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:19 PM

215 posts, read 351,038 times
Yes, with one exception. Any theatre that does not allow children and enforces an out the door policy if you bother others with any annoying obsessions related to phones and talking.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I've never liked movie theaters. For me and my wife, here's the scoop:

-Two tickets would cost ~$20 (same price as a DVD)
-There's the extra expense of gas to get to the theater
-Our physical dimensions preclude us being comfortable in theater seats
-You can't eat during the movie unless you sneak food in (which lots of people do, though they do claim it's against the rules) or pay a 2,000% markup on theater food items such as popcorn and soda.
-You never know who will be around you in the theater and in which obnoxious behaviors they will engage (talking, laughing, groping, texting, farting, etc... or maybe they just have body odor).

In the end, you have nothing to show for your $20 aside from ticket stubs.

In contrast, for that same $20, you can buy the DVD when it comes out. If you buy the DVD, here's what happens:

-You do indeed have to wait until it comes out, meaning you are perpetually three months behind the cutting edge of cinematic entertainment.
-If you like the movie, you can keep the DVD and watch it as many times as you wish. If you don't like the movie, you can sell/trade the DVD and get at least a few bucks back.
-You can watch the movie in the comfort of your own home. No driving to/from the theater, and you get to sit in comfort on the bed, sofa, recliner, etc.
-You can eat whatever you want to eat, and chances are it cost you far less than what it'd have cost at the theater.
-No obnoxious strangers will be anywhere nearby.
-You can start the movie at any time, pause it if you have to get up to pee, rewind it to see funny parts again, etc.

And then, there is the ever-increasing problem of mass murder or mayhem at movie theaters. I think I'll just buy the DVD.
That's it. You are in control of the remote (pause to pee, rewind if you miss what a character said, skip the previews, volume to your liking, subtitles if you wish), you don't have to put with other people's odors (but you also are free to let a fart free), and you can eat whatever not just popcorn/soda or nachos etc and you don't pay a ridiculous amount for it. No bratty kids (or if your own kids act up you don't have to worry about making a scene when you swat their butts) no cell phone aggravations (either in terms of people's glow beams or yacking etc bothering you but also you're free to take a peak & not have people riot like you did a Nazi salute in a Jewish family center). If your rear-end starts itching you can dig in (okay, too much information, ha ha) but you don't have to observe others doing likewise, to me those are the real strengths.

Oh, and another thing that I don't think was mentioned: you don't deal with issues of having to get to a theater by a certain time (when the selection starts), being prisoner to their schedules.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,679 times
Our little town has a jewel of a restored old theater, one that film critic Leonard Malden once said he wished was in his town. Besides movies, we get Met Simulcasts, ballets, and Royal Theater of London shows. The community chipped in the necessary money to upgrade to a digital system early this year, and the owner had no problem raising the $80K from a town of only 9,000 residents. Recently the theater partnered with the 2-story restaurant next door to show some movies with dinner and alcoholic drinks, for the over-21 crowd. In addition, the owner is a real film buff and brings in classic films, too. So I really enjoy our little local theater. Big cineplexes, no way. I'd just rent or stream at home.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:10 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,338 times
I avoid movie theaters because of bedbugs, but only in heavy bedbug areas. I don't worry about that in movie theaters out in the sticks.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,212 times
Started to avoid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I've never seen Titanic.
Well, in case you ever do, I hope that no one has spoiled the ending for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am ... highly irritated by noise. ... a special condition called misophonia, which I may have ... would explain this. Misophonia is a mild nervous system disorder ... where a person is HARD-WIRED to be highly sensitive to specific sounds.
What is the condition, which makes you so offended, by the reasonable comments of others?

Meanwhile, seems like enough people are still going to the movies:
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/20...ds-1201009706/
Best reason for me to watch at home: closed-captioning!

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-30-2013 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickjesus View Post
between $80 dollar popcorn, knobs that keep checking their messages, poor hygiene, bad acoustics, my feelings of violence because people wont be quiet. I haven't been in movie theater since 1998.
You forgot the token attention ***** who likes to scream "DOH!" out loud anytime something exciting happens.

I only go during weekdays well after the movie has been released. I know there will only be a few quiet retired people there. Even then, I only go if I am craving the heart clogging popcorn and it is something I want to see on the big screen due to ornate set design of special effects.

Half the time they don't even get the popcorn right and it is coated in some flavorless clear oil. They must use some artificial butter flavored oil that settles and separates in the dispenser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events