Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 03:29 PM

11,774 posts, read 5,787,833 times

Advertisements

Humans are killing each other every day - but the Pit Bull is your main topic of conversation - you're all sick. I love my pit mixes and have found them to be the most loving and smartest dogs I've owned. God forbid if someone breaks in tho - they'll protect me just like my beagle terrier mix ( the feisty one of the three - which is the one a burglar should be the most afraid off ).

Pitts have been around for years - they are just the ones being singled out now - just like the dobs, pinchers, and german shepards before hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
And the cdc has not kept breed specific statistics on dog bites since 1998, because it agreed its own methodology was flawed. I really hate leaving so many inaccurate posts unanwered, for those who are just coming to this 3rd? thread on pit bulls in current events. But I could go back and cut and paste everything I wrote before, on this thread and the others, recreate every link, and in a few days it would be lost among more pages of biased nonsense. Regardless of what some people think,(who must live in areas full of very restrictive HOAs), pit bulls are all over nice middle class neighborhoods, and this is becoming truer all the time. So gradually most people will see for themselves what pit bull owners and shelter workers have known all along. The sooner, the better.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
I've had dogs all my life. I was raised with a sheltie, and then we had a cocker, and on my own I've had a mini terrier who never bit but dug and chewed (and lived to 18), a sheltie and sheltie mix, a lab puppy, a st. Bernard (actualy husbands dog), several beagles and now two mixes.

One is a very tall terrier shepard mix (pic in my pictures). He can jump four foot fences, barks and defends his lair and gives gentle kisses to his kitties. I don't worry about him biting me since he's never shown agression. The other is a brindle puppy who is looking more and more like a shepard. She's going to be smaller, I think, but she is also not agressive.

If you decide to hop into my yard and the dog is out, not a good idea. But a kid or someone with honorable intentions isn't going to climb a six foot fence. My big boy likes to bounce like a puppy still, and if your supposed to be there I'll put him inside. My puppy is in the chew on everything phase but she also gives the kitties kisses and I watch her since she just really wants to play with them now.

My beagle has past owner issues and I watch my hands around her and food, or if she's awakened suddenly since she might try to bite. Not her fault and I know better.

But the dog which was the most worrysome of all of them was the cocker spaniel. She'd be very loving, but would not let you touch her feet. She would freak, and apparently this is a common cocker trait. This would not be a good thing with little kids. And she'd object when her ears were tended. She was the only one of any of them I'd worry about a bite, but she would have.

So where are all the threads about why nobody should have cocker spaniels?

And the owner DOES matter. People are posting stats on dog bites. But then if a breed is commonly encouraged to be agressive, not by the dog but the owner, then wouldn't it be unusual if the stats didn't show more agression and bites from that breed because more owners encouraged it?

My cocker was never encouraged but she would have, and that is different.

If I could pick my breed now, and didn't have my rescues, I'd still go for a small herd of shelties....

Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
And the cdc has not kept breed specific statistics on dog bites since 1998, because it agreed its own methodology was flawed. I really hate leaving so many inaccurate posts unanwered, for those who are just coming to this 3rd? thread on pit bulls in current events. But I could go back and cut and paste everything I wrote before, on this thread and the others, recreate every link, and in a few days it would be lost among more pages of biased nonsense. Regardless of what some people think,(who must live in areas full of very restrictive HOAs), pit bulls are all over nice middle class neighborhoods, and this is becoming truer all the time. So gradually most people will see for themselves what pit bull owners and shelter workers have known all along. The sooner, the better.
The only difference is in nice middleclass areas you aren't likely to see them running loose, but will be in their fenced yards. Any dog, even a small one, who is allowed to run loose can pose a danger, in addition to poisons and cars posing a danger to them. Maybe the concern should be loose running dogs over what breed they are.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Obviously I learned English in grade school, I'm just stating that English was my second language as a kid. I spoke more Spanish as a kid than English.
Oh, so you have spoken English since you were a little kid, and since you grew up in Texas, I'm assuming that you attended school in the US as well, where you also spoke English and did the majority of your assignments in English, and also LEARNED English as a subject throughout your school years spent in the US (or that's the plan anyway) while you were growing up in Texas. And now you're 40 years old and you've been speaking English for, oh, about 35 years.

Gotcha.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
I'd no more trust my 6 year old in a house with a pit bull than I would in a house with a loaded handgun on the table...and my opinion of the pit bull owner would be the same as the handgun owner, too.
I would be just as appalled by a gun owner who left their guns unsecured and available for kids (or anyone) to pick up, as I would be appalled by a pit bull owner who abused or neglected their dog, or trained their dog to fight or be aggressive.

I would also be appalled by any parent who would leave their 6 year old (or six week old or 10 year old for that matter) alone in the house with any dog.

The worst dog incident my family has ever experienced was when my 75 year old grandmother was walking her usual walk - the same walk she'd made for decades - and a terrier suddenly jumped off a porch, ran toward her, and latched on to her calf and wouldn't let go. She had to have numerous stitches and it took months for the wound to heal (older people heal more slowly than younger people). The dog weighed all of about 14 pounds.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, so you have spoken English since you were a little kid, and since you grew up in Texas, I'm assuming that you attended school in the US as well, where you also spoke English and did the majority of your assignments in English, and also LEARNED English as a subject throughout your school years spent in the US (or that's the plan anyway) while you were growing up in Texas. And now you're 40 years old and you've been speaking English for, oh, about 35 years.

Gotcha.
This is coming from someone that doesn't even know how to properly use a comma.

Take it to the politics forum buddy! This thread is about dogs.

Texas is a big state. You do know that most grade schools in places that are almost 100% Hispanic (like small border towns outside of Laredo) teach English second in grade school. This was especially true in the early 80's. Yes, I speak perfect English, but It's still my second language, as I didn't become completely fluent until I moved to SA after HS. You sound like one of those country-bumkins that thinks everyone in this country should speak "American." because they refuse to learn a second language. LOL

Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times
omg..... what on earth does this have to do with pit bulls??

Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 PM

323 posts, read 499,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Humans are killing each other every day - but the Pit Bull is your main topic of conversation - you're all sick. I love my pit mixes and have found them to be the most loving and smartest dogs I've owned. God forbid if someone breaks in tho - they'll protect me just like my beagle terrier mix ( the feisty one of the three - which is the one a burglar should be the most afraid off ).

Pitts have been around for years - they are just the ones being singled out now - just like the dobs, pinchers, and german shepards before hand.
There are a lot MORE pitbulls around now. But please examine the most recent statistics. Almost everyday I read about people being mauled and children killed by, you guessed it, pitbulls.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
This is coming from someone that doesn't even know how to properly use a comma.

Take it to the politics forum buddy! This thread is about dogs.

Texas is a big state. You do know that most grade schools in places that are almost 100% Hispanic (like small border towns outside of Laredo) teach English second in grade school. This was especially true in the early 80's. Yes, I speak perfect English, but It's still my second language, as I didn't become completely fluent until I moved to SA after HS. You sound like one of those country-bumkins that thinks everyone in this country should speak "American." because they refuse to learn a second language. LOL
Where's your comma there, buddy?

The language of this country, which you grew up in, and attended school in - apparently from kindergarten through high school - is English. Learn it.

Then you can talk about how "educated people" in the US don't own pit bulls - that is, in your opinion - based on your pig hunting days with your best friend's uncle down in Mexico, or whatever your story was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies