Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This kid is big, tall, and most likely has no respect for any authority. Chances are, this kid might not even care if he goes to prison or not. How does one deal with that. I am not saying "don't punish him". I'm saying "what kind of punishment would send a message to someone who has no respect for authority, is quite large, and has a 'live by the sword die by the sword' view of the world"?
I would send him to one of those military boot camps for youth offenders. I think a steel toed boot up the ass would get him moving in a better direction.

A guy I knew of in HS he got sent to boot camp light for too many shoplifting incidents and underage drinking/driving........he was scared when he came back. It kept him out of trouble for about 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I would send him to one of those military boot camps for youth offenders. I think a steel toed boot up the ass would get him moving in a better direction.

A guy I knew of in HS he got sent to boot camp light for too many shoplifting incidents and underage drinking/driving........he was scared when he came back. It kept him out of trouble for about 2 years.
The boot camp could help that kid lose weight.

One thing. What happened to that guy after two years?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
This kid is big, tall, and most likely has no respect for any authority. Chances are, this kid might not even care if he goes to prison or not. How does one deal with that. I am not saying "don't punish him". I'm saying "what kind of punishment would send a message to someone who has no respect for authority, is quite large, and has a 'live by the sword die by the sword' view of the world"?
Some people can't really be punished in a manner that hopes to rehabilitate - they just have to be locked in cages away from the civilized world.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
nor his parents.
WRONG! This kid wasn't brought up well at all. It is all about home life and yes parenting!

Old 05-19-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
As a black male that grew up in "urban" America, I agree. White (especially female) teachers don't always convey the sort of authority that black kids respect. You put an experienced black female or male teacher in that classroom, and I imagine the outcome would be different.

White teachers tend to tolerate a certain amount of rambunctiousness from white students, but are more uneasy around black students. Some black students pick up on this discomfort and will "try" the teacher.
Maybe there is something to consider. I am a Black male, and I am basically a suburban kid. Sometimes it can depend on the kind of teacher you get. I knew a few White female teachers who basically scared some students. It was mainly teachers in their 50s who seemed to convey a certain amount of authority or women who came off as mean or who had some size on them.

In my experience, from kindergarten to 12th grade, from having gone to school in the suburbs of Seattle to the suburbs of Atlanta, I remember having maybe 5 Black teachers during that whole stretch(4 of them in the Atlanta area). I remember being in 5th grade, I had 5 teachers. The two everyone seemed afraid of the most were: a Black woman who yelled alot, and a 50 year-old White woman.

The middle school I went to, I saw a bit of this rambunctiousness being tolerated, but never noticed it until much later. Maybe it came from being scared of adults in general, but I never would think to try anything with a teacher. I figured she/he could just get me in all kinds of trouble. I was also nerdy, so it was the furthest thing from my mind. However, I have seen many White kids try to pull stuff on White teachers, specifically the ones who looked quite young or had that "meek" appearance to them.

I will mention this. The principal at my middle school would, on some occasions, punish Black students much harder than the White students for the same incidents. Oddly enough, when I landed in "In School Suspension", I was basically the one Black kid there. One thing I noticed is that these were kids who were known for chronic behavior issues. When it came to me getting assaulted while on crutches, the principal didn't do much about it. Ironically, another principal would replace her the following school year.

In 7th grade, my homeroom teacher was Black. She was young and a rookie. Some of the White kids would try stuff, to test her. Some did, but she was known for nipping it in the bud quickly. In my homeroom, I was one of about 2 Blacks students. Neither me or the other Black kid tried anything. The only time I ever saw other Black kids try stupid stuff(or ever heard of other Black kids trying stupid stuff) is when they all together in sizable numbers, and I saw this mainly in high school.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Some people can't really be punished in a manner that hopes to rehabilitate - they just have to be locked in cages away from the civilized world.
Can't really do that if murder hasn't been committed.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Quote:
The boot camp could help that kid lose weight.

One thing. What happened to that guy after two years?
A couple of years later he died in DUI accident he caused.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
A couple of years later he died in DUI accident he caused.
So it never really changed him, just scared him for a small amount of time.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,164,638 times
I think the teacher should of asked him to leave the classroom. She should not have confronted him, especially given his size, hardly the typical teenage build. If she had his cell phone she should of left the class and he would follow her out. She could of just called the main office for help and let them handle it. I think things escalated because of the other kids goading him, he felt like he had to be tough and it got out of hand. He felt he had to be a big man (no pun intended) in front of the class. If he backed down, he would of lost the "respect" of the other kids.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Can't really do that if murder hasn't been committed.
True, you just cage them temporarily and hope the incident that puts them away 20+ years doesn't result in an innocent person being killed. Granted, with the judicial system being so lenient, it seems almost impossible to put dangerous people away. Around here, I've seen people with 10-20 arrest spend very little time in prison. The combination of plea deals, suspended sentences, dismissed charges, boot camps, community service, behavior classes, probation, etc just keeps them reentering society over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events