Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 07:48 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times

Advertisements

@k350

Remember that saying?

Starts like this...

"Can't fix..."

Old 11-28-2014, 08:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The Feds didn't care about Ferguson because it's a poor community. If the protesters dare to disrupt NYC commerce you'll see the protests get iced quickly and swiftly which is exactly what happened.

Instead of these hopeless protests they should get politicians or legal organizations to work for them. Except once any agencies reviews the hard evidence they have to dodge supporting the protesters.

When you protest on false grounds it makes you look like a fool.

In another 3-4 weeks when more evidence surfaces we may see more protesters remove themselves and wise up.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:07 PM

170 posts, read 133,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Who is really surprised that wilson was not indicted?
Was there anyone here who thought he would be? Who was surprised?
Justice Scalia is very surprised.

Justice Antonin Scalia, in the 1992 Supreme Court case of United States v. Williams, explained what the role of a grand jury has been for hundreds of years.
Quote:
It is the grand jury’s function not ‘to enquire … upon what foundation [the charge may be] denied,’ or otherwise to try the suspect’s defenses, but only to examine ‘upon what foundation [the charge] is made’ by the prosecutor. Respublica v. Shaffer, 1 Dall. 236 (O. T. Phila. 1788); see also F. Wharton, Criminal Pleading and Practice § 360, pp. 248-249 (8th ed. 1880). As a consequence, neither in this country nor in England has the suspect under investigation by the grand jury ever been thought to have a right to testify or to have exculpatory evidence presented.
Justice Scalia Explains What Was Wrong With The Ferguson Grand Jury | ThinkProgress

Old 11-28-2014, 08:18 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
On citydata alone, in the last three days, at least 10 threads have been started by white city-data-ers with questions that start with "Question for black people" or "black people do you" or "black people why don't you speak up about XYZ"... I can't fathom what it's like to use an online forum to speak to an ENTIRE group of people that you apparently can't speak to off the computer. I can't imagine what it's like to imagine that all black people think alike, have the same experience, and thus can answer your questions and speak for the millions of black people that they don't know themselves. What's blatantly clear is that SOME of the white individuals on citydata don't interact with black people very often and thus their "insights" about the black community are based largely off of what the media tells them, what they hear and the conclusions that they've formed based largely on ignorance. I don't necessarily fault the latter--ignorance after all is largely a result of NOT knowing. But the difference between me, and the people that start these types of threads, is that when I'm "ignorant" I don't pretend to know, make assumptions, or ask questions that reveal my ignorance. I TRY to learn, by directly educating myself as much as possible. For instance if I really WANT to know about a particular topic, I'll do research. I'll place myself in situations where I'm exposed to that topic. I'll get objective information. I'll get to know the XYZ'S and circumstances of that topic. And then only once I've learned all that I could, will I say what I know. Until then I keep my mouth shut. I suppose the OP was trying to "learn" by asking a question to black people on city-data, but the problem is, the black people on citydata aren't speakers of the black community as a whole. We are individuals. We don't all protest. We don't all have the same feelings about this case. We don't all have the same experiences. So there's a great probability that the answers you'll get from the SMALL percentage of blacks on this site, will not in anyway provide the type of insight you're hoping to gain from what apparently to you is some monolithic black force.
What's more? We don't need advice or insights from white people who don't interact regularly with black people(apparently) about what we need to do to make our monolithic community better so we can stop blaming whitey.
This is golden! This post summarizes my feelings about questions like this in a nutshell.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:29 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn220 View Post
Don't you have any black friends of your own you can is question too?

It always amazes me how blacks have been in this country for 400 years and are forced to interact with whites on a daily basis to survive, but the opposite is true for whites who have been here just as long.

Why is that?
Maybe because blacks comprise only ~12% of the population, whereas whites are 77%?

Simple numbers.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:32 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Maybe because blacks comprise only ~12% of the population, whereas whites are 77%?

Simple numbers.

It's still silly to ask one or two black people to speak for the entire race, dontcha think?

Old 11-28-2014, 08:33 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post

Justice Antonin Scalia, in the 1992 Supreme Court case of United States v. Williams, explained what the role of a grand jury has been for hundreds of years.

Justice Scalia Explains What Was Wrong With The Ferguson Grand Jury | ThinkProgress
Now you know if Scalia of all people got a problem with this, then...

Old 11-28-2014, 08:42 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
As an African American, I'd tell these White people to go home to their well to do families and stop pretending that they know what it's like to be oppressed. This isn't their fight and they're not helping.
What a lot of non-whites apparently think white families are like:

What white families are really like:

*lies down and awaits crucifixion*

Old 11-28-2014, 08:48 PM

23,599 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The police chief said on LIVE TELEVISION that Wilson NEVER received that call.

He was "coached" and not very well.

It doesn't matter because the DA handed his defense attorney the case when he gave the grand jury an outdated legal document from 1979 saying that cops can shoot a suspect running away from them. The Supreme Court overruled this in 1985. When a juror asked does federal law supersede Missouri law, she told them "you don't need to worry about that", while another DA in the room said "we're not giving a law class".

So, even skeptical and disbelieving old me would have not indicted him on murder charges.
Yes I agree that it was wrong for copies of that law to be handed out. The DA corrected it, belatedly-after Wilson had given his testimony. IMO, regarding handing out copies of that old law and waiting to correct it was terribly wrong.

But, with that being said - what the media, et al, isn't saying is that the Supreme Court did not state an (alleged) criminal cannot be shot/shot at while the (alleged) criminal is fleeing, it basically states .. "when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, he or she may use deadly force to prevent escape only if the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others." Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985) ... Brown did hit Wilson and did try to take his gun - those two actions would give Wilson probable cause in believing Brown posed a threat (the bruising on Wilson's face wasn't very apparent in the full frontal picture that has been shown, but it is very visible in the side picture that was shown)

And, while I don't recall is whether Wilson had shot in the direction of Brown while Brown was running from him, I do recall that when Brown turned back toward Wilson and started running back to him, Wilson did shoot at him. Brown had no bullet wounds on his back - only on his front.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:58 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post

Do you even know what that case was about, and what Scalia was referring to?

It is clear and simple; a suspect does not have the right to testify at a grand jury. This does not mean at all that a suspect cannot be called upon to testify.

The suspect has no right to testify because there is no charge against the suspect

You people really are something, talk about delusional in the search for anything to advocate your view, to the point of cherry picking non-related court cases. But seeing the source for this info, it is no surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events