Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 07:54 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh my.Same drivel as the thread on PoC. A mistake , bad judgement, and inattention results in a death and the "compassionate and feeling" liberals would show more empathy for some terrorist that blew himself up in a church. Citing his oppressedife and justifiable rage and he just COULDNT help it.

But a freak accident takes a child's mother, and they cheer. She was just some "gun nut" after all. I really don't vet the mindset.
I have never shown sympathy towards terrorists. I sometimes feel sorry for people who live in Iran, Afghan, and some south/central americans countries who aren't terrorists because the american government likes to mess with weaker countries for our own gain. However, it's a fact of life that the strong take advantage of the weak. I suspect you're the type of person who feels that there is nothing wrong with screwing over countries like Iraq for iffy reasons as long as we get control of the oil fields. I'll admit I find it sort of sad (I guess that makes me a liberal?). America is strong and we take what we want. It's our privilege.

I don't have an issue with people owning guns, and I'm not an anti gun person (I'm not pro gun either). I'm against feeling sorry for people who are irresponsible with their guns. Having your gun within reach of your two year old = stupid and irresponsible.

The issue isn't that she's owns a gun. It's that she's a moron who kept her gun within reach of her toddler. This is not an accident. If you want to prevent things like this; it's pretty simple. Keep your gun away from a child's reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The chances are better than not you'll die because of something you did or should have done.but failed to. Maybe you'll think back...

As a matter of fact, I know you will. You'll think about it tomorrow and for every day you remain among the living.

S is for stupid. You will never for get this.
I really wish doctors could still use "old age" as a cause of death, but anyways, chances are I'm going to die because my body became weak due to living past a certain age and couldn't fight off some cold virus or an organ gave in (usually the heart). This is not preventable. Eventually your body will become weak no matter what you do. This is not a stupid decision on anyone's part. You can't prevent yourself from growing old. This isn't war torn, disease filled Africa. You don't make stupid decisions, you get to live to a ripe old age.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
You have never EVER sent a text while driving? If not, kudos to you! If so, had you died, would the world be a better place, now? You know, if the ONE text/phone-call you answered/CD you bent to pick up off the floor/time you drove while you knew you were too tired/ had resulted in you slamming into a telephone pole or something?
No, I have never sent a text while driving.

I have yet to feel sorry for someone who texted while driving and ended up killing someone else, so no, I wouldn't want people to feel sympathy for me. It would clearly be my own fault, and I would have to live with the consequences.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I had two of them. Unless trained to aim and squeeze, a toddler is going to concentrate on one thing at a time. If he's concentrating on squeezing (and it will take concentration for a long double-action trigger pull), he's not holding it up and out, much less aiming it (big world, little bullet--he almost certainly had to have been deliberately pointing it toward his mother).

For that matter, if the gun was in the "pistol pocket" of the purse, it wouldn't have been something he'd immediately find when rummaging through the purse...unless he knew where it was and what he was looking for.
Are you trying to say that the 2 year old deliberately killed his mother?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:40 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I have never shown sympathy towards terrorists. I sometimes feel sorry for people who live in Iran, Afghan, and some south/central americans countries who aren't terrorists because the american government likes to mess with weaker countries for our own gain. However, it's a fact of life that the strong take advantage of the weak. I suspect you're the type of person who feels that there is nothing wrong with screwing over countries like Iraq for iffy reasons as long as we get control of the oil fields. I'll admit I find it sort of sad (I guess that makes me a liberal?). America is strong and we take what we want. It's our privilege.

I don't have an issue with people owning guns, and I'm not an anti gun person (I'm not pro gun either). I'm against feeling sorry for people who are irresponsible with their guns. Having your gun within reach of your two year old = stupid and irresponsible.

The issue isn't that she's owns a gun. It's that she's a moron who kept her gun within reach of her toddler. This is not an accident. If you want to prevent things like this; it's pretty simple. Keep your gun away from a child's reach.
I haven't seen anybody denying that the rules of safe carry were violated here. People have lapses in judgement all the time. That doesn't mean they are "morons". Nor does it give anyone the right to pass judgement and call the world a better place because a child lost his mother. Honestly, this take is right up there with the crap those Westboro Baptist clowns spout.

It has nothing to do with intellect. Even the most brilliant among us have lapses in judgement. Brain farts. If you will. She was a nuclear scientist. Hardly a field of endeavor for "morons". Goes to show, education by itself, must be supplemented with common sense and experience. This lapse in judgement was fatal. It happens every day too. A worker doesn't lock out a machine before working on it, texting and driving, drinking and doing ANYTHING that requires clear faculties... etc.

By the logic you apply, if her son had gotten hold of a book of matches and burned himself to death, you would call that deserved. As to the kind of person I am, I'm a guy that thinks a dead mother does not make the world a better place, and justify that opinion with an inflated opinion of myself. Since you went so far as to tell me what kind of person I am, I'll take a turn myself. I'll bet you are one of those "educated" people, some degree or another, of some significant academic achievement, who feels an educational degree also doubles as a license for a pompous attitude, and makes one somehow exempt from Murphy's Law and lapses in judgement.

At any rate, so happy that YOUR world is a better place with a young mothers death. My world sees that as an...odd..thing, to feel warm and fuzzy about.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:41 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Would you ever tell the child later in life what happened or would you keep it secret from him?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
You have never EVER sent a text while driving? If not, kudos to you! If so, had you died, would the world be a better place, now?
I have never ever texted while driving. Nor have I ever felt the need to do so or would I consider doing it. Most of the time, I don't even answer calls. What could possibly be that important? It's like reading a magazine while you're driving.There was actually a time when you could not reach someone in their car, and if you wanted to make a call, you had to pull over to a phone booth. People's use of their phones is now officially insane.

How many people have died or been injured because some idiot had to send a text?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:54 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I haven't seen anybody denying that the rules of safe carry were violated here. People have lapses in judgement all the time. That doesn't mean they are "morons". Nor does it give anyone the right to pass judgement and call the world a better place because a child lost his mother. Honestly, this take is right up there with the crap those Westboro Baptist clowns spout.

It has nothing to do with intellect. Even the most brilliant among us have lapses in judgement. Brain farts. If you will. She was a nuclear scientist. Hardly a field of endeavor for "morons". Goes to show, education by itself, must be supplemented with common sense and experience. This lapse in judgement was fatal. It happens every day too. A worker doesn't lock out a machine before working on it, texting and driving, drinking and doing ANYTHING that requires clear faculties... etc.

By the logic you apply, if her son had gotten hold of a book of matches and burned himself to death, you would call that deserved. As to the kind of person I am, I'm a guy that thinks a dead mother does not make the world a better place, and justify that opinion with an inflated opinion of myself. Since you went so far as to tell me what kind of person I am, I'll take a turn myself. I'll bet you are one of those "educated" people, some degree or another, of some significant academic achievement, who feels an educational degree also doubles as a license for a pompous attitude, and makes one somehow exempt from Murphy's Law and lapses in judgement.

At any rate, so happy that YOUR world is a better place with a young mothers death. My world sees that as an...odd..thing, to feel warm and fuzzy about.
What this was was a self-fulfilling prophecy. The woman was afraid to go into her local grocery store without a weapon because she was convinced something bad could happen to her. And it did.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Would you ever tell the child later in life what happened or would you keep it secret from him?
What possible good could come of telling them? Then again. ..what harm if they find out on their own? There is no right or wrong. Just equally crappy choices.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
What this was was a self-fulfilling prophecy. The woman was afraid to go into her local grocery store without a weapon because she was convinced something bad could happen to her. And it did.
Much like those killed every year who think "it cant happen to me. Crime is low here!" are victims of denial: life is not safe. You pays you money, you makes you choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events