Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 07:47 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post

Also, the entire notion that a word is off limits to certain people based on their skin color is amazingly stupid, and further keeps a divide up.
Ah. So I can assume that today you will go up to a random group of black guys on the street & call them the "n" word then, yes? I hope someone videotapes that exchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Ah. So I can assume that today you will go up to a random group of black guys on the street & call them the "n" word then, yes? I hope someone videotapes that exchange.
Guess I have to spell it out. If there is malice behind addressing someone, that is obviously wrong and should not be tolerated. But if used in a such a context that is common these days, ie greeting a friend with "my n---a!" it's a ridiculous double standard and another form of division.

Can you think of any other instance in history where a word was ok for use by some people but not others, regardless of context?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:02 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
For everyone who wants to believe that there's no difference in tipping between blacks and whites: Cornell did a study on it and you're wrong. (Though anyone who has ever been a server already knew that)

https://www.hotelschool.cornell.edu/...act-13851.html

Even my black coworkers didn't want to wait on black customers. Sorry, but more often than not they are just terrible.

Also, the entire notion that a word is off limits to certain people based on their skin color is amazingly stupid, and further keeps a divide up.
I'm a pretty generous tipper, even to a fault, but based on this research and everyone's experience about black people tipping, I'm just going to stop tipping servers, valet people, my cleaning lady, etc, since it's apparently a 'black thing'.

It's really amazing how people continue to argue this ridiculous point. It's not just a word, it's a word that for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years was used as a racial slur. Those 'certain people' are the ones that used that word to disrespect and degrade blacks. WHY on earth would anyone want to use that word towards a black person? Er or a, it doesn't matter.

Can someone please tell me that? Anyone ??

Old 01-07-2015, 08:03 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Wait didn't you start this whole conversation with "I wonder how many of those offended listen to music with the N word in it?"
And you have made several posts in response that say "I don't understand what this means". Hence, Ultima Thule.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
..... it's a word that for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years was used as a racial slur. Those 'certain people' are the ones that used that word to disrespect and degrade blacks. WHY on earth would anyone want to use that word towards a black person? Er or a, it doesn't matter.

Can someone please tell me that? Anyone ??
Except that it's not true. It only been a pejorative since the 20th century.

In regards to your question, we have this movie which is only 45 years old that is considered a cult classic. Certainly given today's climate it would never be released, but in the 1970s, what you say wasn't true.

http://tinyurl.com/d3h6fqf

If you are saying that Blacks are better than everyone else and don't use such terms towards other races themselves, then you might have something, but nobody will believe you simply because it's not true either.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Guess I have to spell it out. If there is malice behind addressing someone, that is obviously wrong and should not be tolerated. But if used in a such a context that is common these days, ie greeting a friend with "my n---a!" it's a ridiculous double standard and another form of division.

Can you think of any other instance in history where a word was ok for use by some people but not others, regardless of context?
Uh huh. Again, I take it you'll be walking up to a random group of black men & saying that word? Please have someone videotape the exchange. I can guess at the outcome.

Lol, keyboard commandos. So amusing.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Yes. Woman friends who call each other b*tch in jest. Have some random man say it to them & watch the outcome. Maybe that's another experiment you could do?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Uh huh. Again, I take it you'll be walking up to a random group of black men & saying that word? Please have someone videotape the exchange. I can guess at the outcome.
I would contend that the response would depend upon who asked it. So I'll ask you what would be the response if the person was "Black" and if the person was any other race on the planet. No need to really answer because.......

I think you just proved the point that you were trying to disprove. LOL ..

Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I would contend that the response would depend upon who asked it. So I'll ask you what would be the response if the person was "Black" and if the person was any other race on the planet. No need to really answer because.......

I think you just proved the point that you were trying to disprove. LOL ..
Uh, how about a white guy walking up to a random group of black guys & calling them the n word. Again, I sit back & smile at the keyboard commandos. I never said there wasn't a double standard. Read my post about women. Actually, if a random woman came up & called a group of women a b*tch I suspect that wouldn't go down so well. So, what was the point of your post again? Was it just to justify your love of calling black people the n word?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Except that it's not true. It only been a pejorative since the 20th century.

In regards to your question, we have this movie which is only 45 years old that is considered a cult classic. Certainly given today's climate it would never be released, but in the 1970s, what you say wasn't true.

Boss ****** - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are saying that Blacks are better than everyone else and don't use such terms towards other races themselves, then you might have something, but nobody will believe you simply because it's not true either.
No, the 'n' word had been used as a pejorative before the 20th century, it just wasn't as common and also had non-racist connotations before then as well, particularly in literature. But you seem to forget that blacks were (at least overtly in those days ) considered inferior to whites, even by those that weren't considered racists.

At what point did I entertain the idea of blacks being better than everyone else?
All that is beside the point, the obsession some people have with being able to use the 'n' word is ridiculous and creepy. Regardless if the word had been around since the beginning of time or 5 years ago, it historically has been used to insult and degrade blacks - what possible reason could you have to want to use it?

I don't have any desire to refer to Hispanics or Asians or Jews by any outdated and/or derogatory term, regardless if they use it among themselves or give me the "OK" to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events