Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:15 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your own post contradicts itself. The fact is that once measles is imported, it predominantly spreads in unvaccinated populations. That is a fact, and please do not tell me that stating that fact is an attempt to start a "hate campaign."

Travel restrictions, adult boosters, and child vaccination do not play equal roles. We do not currently even have travel restrictions. If we did, it would virtually eliminate importation of measles. Most adults are already immune. However, what we are seeing is unimmunized children who are maturing into unimmunized adults. That puts the focus right back on childhood vaccination.

Remember that there is no recommendation for routine measles boosters in adults, because the vaccine is so effective. Therefore, an adult would be up to date with no measles booster.

The parents I know, all of whom vaccinate, do vaccinate themselves. Most are in an age group where really all they need is the Tdap, and most are taking it. We grandparents are doing it, too.

Overall, adults are probably undervaccinated, but I think the ones with kids are more attuned to it, especially since obstetricians and pediatricians are encouraging the Tdap.

For sure, parents who are convinced vaccines are dangerous are not vaccinating themselves.

Again, unvaccinated kids are growing into unvaccinated adults. That is why childhood vaccination is the foundation of the whole process. Limiting the number of infected people is actually the goal, is it not?
Again only part of the picture. You seem to be fixated on the anti vax crowd for some reason. While they are in the equation there are other culprits we might miss if our direction in based solely on those who choose not to vaccinate. Like I said, outbreaks will still occur with 100% vax rate so thats not the only solution to keeping the rest of our population that cant vax from getting the Measles, and I believe thats the goal.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-07-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 03:20 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When I was a child in the late 40's and early 50's every kid, including me, caught measles and chicken pox. Way too many got polio. (One of the few things that really frightens me is visions of rank and file of kids in mechanical breathing tanks.) I was vaccinated with any vaccine that came along. What ever the schools didn't do the Navy did. I never got tuberculosis but test positive for it.

What is behind these minor (a real outbreak would be thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths) outbreaks of communicable disease is a mix of ignorance (these diseases no longer exist) and wishful thinking (my child will never be exposed) or pure foolishness. The result is a population that has become vulnerable to major epidemic of preventable disease.
I do the same thing! I test positive for TB every single time and have never had it! Wow, another person!

I've had measles, chickenpox and perhaps mumps. They never were able to confirm or not if it was mumps.

When I was a young mother, we used to deliberately expose our children to measles and chickenpox! It was no big deal. Our kids had the vaccines so they came down with mild cases and got plenty of immunity. That was the early '70's.

I remember my mother being so worried I had contracted polio one time when I woke up feverish and had a stiff neck. I think that was my measles bout IIRC.

I used to have nightmares of being in an iron lung.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
So why aren't there major outbreaks linked to Disneyland every year, then?

It seems to me that in the end the hysteria is coming from the "medical community" and the media. The government is more than happy to seize upon this, and so here again we have another example of another relatively minor incident instigating a response that threatens individual rights and liberties.
Yes, we have a lot of foreigner hot spots and Disney is definitely one of them.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:31 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
So why aren't there major outbreaks linked to Disneyland every year, then?

It seems to me that in the end the hysteria is coming from the "medical community" and the media. The government is more than happy to seize upon this, and so here again we have another example of another relatively minor incident instigating a response that threatens individual rights and liberties.
Because of the luck of the draw. No one with measles happened to choose to go to Disneyland before. Next time it might be some other tourist destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Again only part of the picture. You seem to br fixated on the anti vax crowd for some reason. While they are in the equation there are other culprits we might miss if our direction in based solely on those who choose not to vaccinate. Like I said, outbreaks will still occur with 100% vax rate so thats not the only solution to keeping the rest of our population that cant vax from getting the Measles, and I believe thats the goal.
I am "fixated" on unvaccinated children, which happen to be the biggest part of the problem, though you do not believe it. Most of the adults who are getting measles in the Disney associated outbreak were never vaccinated. They are not adults whose vaccines failed. They are the grown up version of unvacccinated children. Yes, we need to try to get them to vaccinate, but that assumes they do not hold the same beliefs as the anti-vax parents who did not vaccinate them in the first place.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:38 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
Funny thing I just read it was the republicans who are behind it.
Yes the Republicans are funding research into diseases that can be genetically altered to only go after liberals. We will get you eventually!

Old 02-07-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Again only part of the picture. You seem to be fixated on the anti vax crowd for some reason. While they are in the equation there are other culprits we might miss if our direction in based solely on those who choose not to vaccinate. Like I said, outbreaks will still occur with 100% vax rate so thats not the only solution to keeping the rest of our population that cant vax from getting the Measles, and I believe thats the goal.
If vaccination is only PART of the equation, how do you account for measles being eradicated for the past few decades?

Old 02-07-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Like I said, outbreaks will still occur with 100% vax rate so thats not the only solution to keeping the rest of our population that cant vax from getting the Measles, and I believe thats the goal.
That is bs. ^^^^^^

See my last post.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:55 PM

458 posts, read 617,583 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't think vaccines should be mandatory. I do think children who aren't vaccinated for non-medical reasons should not be allowed in public school. Public health trumps.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Because of the luck of the draw. No one with measles happened to choose to go to Disneyland before. Next time it might be some other tourist destination.

I am "fixated" on unvaccinated children, which happen to be the biggest part of the problem, though you do not believe it. Most of the adults who are getting measles in the Disney associated outbreak were never vaccinated. They are not adults whose vaccines failed. They are the grown up version of unvacccinated children. Yes, we need to try to get them to vaccinate, but that assumes they do not hold the same beliefs as the anti-vax parents who did not vaccinate them in the first place.
Just as long as your obsession with the anti vax movement doesn't cloud the fact that even if and when we solve that problem we will still see outbreaks of Measles and other like diseases in America. Not all people who aren't vaccinated are from our country, and illegal immigrants or travelers to this country bring with them more than luggage. Not to mention the boosters I have mentioned for any disease including Measles for all adults.

If you don't encompass all of it, you can cause undo attention on one segment of the problem which makes it easier to ignore the rest of it, like travel, other countries where Measles aren't erraticated and of course boosters for adults walking around not knowing they have no immunity, nor caring to check until it's too late.

Hence a campaign and not just a fight pinpointed at one objective. If all children of anti vax parents started vaccination it wouldn't prevent Measles outbreaks, babies getting Measles or the spread. It would just help, but a lot of things would help. We have to address it all as a whole, not just people who are against vaccines. Those are a small pocket of the problem, not THE problem.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I recently researched this because I have a grandson born with SCID and immunizations for the whole family are critical.

What I learned is that if you were born in 1957 or after you need to get a booster. If you were born before 1957, you are considered to be immune because

"People born before 1957 lived through several years of epidemic measles before the first measles vaccine was licensed. As a result, these people are very likely to have had the measles disease. Surveys suggest that 95% to 98% of those born before 1957 are immune to measles. Note: The "1957 rule" applies only to measles and mumps—it does NOT apply to rubella."

That's from the CDC. Down at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the correction! It would've been nice had "the news" reported this correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events