Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 05:38 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this was mentioned in the thread, but the sister of the shooter was heard screaming, "My brother should've never had a gun."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:24 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. — A gunman has shot seven people, killing five of them, in a subdivision west of Atlanta.

Police: 7 people shot, 5 dead in Georgia shooting - The Washington Post
Five people were killed, including several children. And these people were killed not only because this guy was mentally-ill... These people were killed because this guy have a license and gun! I'm not against all weapons, but i'm against weapons in hands of average citizens, which think that they will never use their guns wrong!
People, time to understand, that gun under your pillow will bring more harm than good.

All one has to do is check the news each weekend in every major city to see that the guns being traded and sold from car trunks are a lot more dangerous than those "under [the] pillow."

Don't get a gun if you don't want one; ours aren't going anywhere.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:30 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. — A gunman has shot seven people, killing five of them, in a subdivision west of Atlanta.

Five people were killed, including several children. And these people were killed not only because this guy was mentally-ill... These people were killed because this guy have a license and gun! I'm not against all weapons, but i'm against weapons in hands of average citizens, which think that they will never use their guns wrong!
People, time to understand, that gun under your pillow will bring more harm than good.
Just curious how you know he was a legal firearms owner ? Also this guy snapped, he couldn't handle the pressure of what was going on in his life and possibly was battling with depression. Sounds like mental health issues to me.
Your whole argument is just off from the get go.

Georgia man who shot ex, kids had fought over child custody - SFGate

Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Also bad logic. The gun didn't make the person harmful to others. The gun made the person significantly MORE harmful to others.

The only real question is how can we more effectively keep firearms away from such people without infringing on the rights of those who aren't going to shoot up schools, markets and churches.

"We can't. Give up. Just keep shoveling guns at society and hope things improve," is not a particularly bright answer. America is better than that.

The reason that gun rights advocates resist any new gun laws is because any time gun laws are proven to be ineffective in stopping gun violence the answer is to always call for adding more similar laws that of course do absolutely nothing except interfere with the rights of the law abiding.

The nation’s toughest gun-control law made Massachusetts less safe - Opinion - The Boston Globe

Gov. Deval Patrick signs sweeping gun bill into law | MSNBC

Old 02-10-2015, 10:55 AM

186 posts, read 243,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
Can I assume that those who are against gun ownership and/or the ownership of "high" capacity magazines is because you want a safer society with less deaths, injury etc.?

......on the other side of the coin can I also assume that those who are for gun ownership want a less safe society with more deaths, injury etc..??

Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
These arguments never get anywhere. The guy in the OP's linked article is going to be brought up on 5 charges of murder and 7 of attempted murder. He'll get what's coming to him. The motive for the shooting is still under investigation but I bet the shooter knew some of the victims.

As someone who owns an AR-15, I just want to say that I am against murder.

I am also in favor of some modest gun control. I think there should be universal background checks and a more thorough paper trail. If you're going to purchase a deadly weapon I see no problem making people wait a few more days and fill out some more paperwork. I generally approve of the post-Sandy Hook gun laws that Connecticut passed which mostly involve increased registration and an assault weapons ban.

I really don't get what the gun owners are afraid of. I don't have that much attachment to my weapon and actually keep the bolt locked up separately from the weapon which makes it an $850 decoration on my bedroom wall most of the time. I can open the safe and have the weapon ready to fire in less than 60 seconds if need be - I will probably be able to hear someone break open one of my triple-paned windows or my metal doors and I always have them locked when I'm inside the house. I probably won't have to worry about that because the chances of having a home invasion where I live are very VERY low. It's about 3-4 times greater than my chances of being struck by lightning. The much higher likelihood is that a kid or some other person will get their hands on that weapon and have a negligent discharge, so I want that weapon NON functional.

Some people are freaking paranoid about home defense - arming themselves to the teeth, afraid of someone storming into their house.... for what?? Your TV? To murder you? What the hell do you own that criminals want? The only reason armed people are likely to storm your house with you in it is if you have drugs or large amounts of cash inside. Where I live, 90% or more of the serious crime and probably at least half of the petty crime is drug related. Stay away from drugs and your life will be safer. Otherwise, the only way burglars are going to make money are by hitting 1-2 dozen houses for electronics, jewelry, etc... because that stuff is worth 10-20% its retail value at best on the black market. They will do that at the lowest risk of the occupants being home which is 10am to 3pm, when most burglaries occur.

I don't get this fear about gun control... it does not target responsible gun owners and no one ever has talked about confiscating all guns. Even in Connecticut they just have you REGISTER certain weapons and banned a small number that hardly anyone owns anyway.

We actually have a test case of this... a period where a lot of people who had their own firearms resisted the federal government in defense of their rights. They even formed their own armies. It was called the Civil War and the federal government won in a big way.

Here's what gun owner are afraid of. It's well document but I look forward to the deflection attempts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The reason that gun rights advocates resist any new gun laws is because any time gun laws are proven to be ineffective in stopping gun violence the answer is to always call for adding more similar laws that of course do absolutely nothing except interfere with the rights of the law abiding.

The nation’s toughest gun-control law made Massachusetts less safe - Opinion - The Boston Globe

Gov. Deval Patrick signs sweeping gun bill into law | MSNBC

Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 AM

920 posts, read 633,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just curious how you know he was a legal firearms owner ? Also this guy snapped, he couldn't handle the pressure of what was going on in his life and possibly was battling with depression. Sounds like mental health issues to me.
Your whole argument is just off from the get go.

Georgia man who shot ex, kids had fought over child custody - SFGate
Thank you for posting this follow up article. It clearly states that law enforcement was investigating whether the weapon was even legally purchased by the gunman.

I truly am tired of being held responsible for every shooting that occurs because I choose to exercise my 2nd Amendment right to self protection!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
This is same mall where the recent problems happened. Apparently just another violent person who could careless as long as he got intended target which was the one male. Thankfully they don't use bombs here much yet.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:27 AM

939 posts, read 795,301 times
Quote:

You are right on with your comments. Of course the pro gun majority on here will be very upset with you. The reality is that if guns were not so easy to obtain, violent crime would go down. However, mainstream America really believes that owning a gun protects them. How many victims of violent crime are gun owners, and what good did your gun do you? More often, some family member who's unstable gets ahold of the gun, or kids find it and play with it. VERY RARELY do gun owners "get the bad guy" trying to harm their family or brake into their house.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:31 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
You are right on with your comments. Of course the pro gun majority on here will be very upset with you. The reality is that if guns were not so easy to obtain, violent crime would go down. However, mainstream America really believes that owning a gun protects them. How many victims of violent crime are gun owners, and what good did your gun do you? More often, some family member who's unstable gets ahold of the gun, or kids find it and play with it. VERY RARELY do gun owners "get the bad guy" trying to harm their family or brake into their house.
Sounds like pure opinion to me. I've seen many people on this site provide links proving your opinion wrong but of course it goes ignored. Such as this particular incident, know one knows is he had the firearm legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events