Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 01:54 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,710,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You're going to ask about "dumb down" after "shoot one of the tires"? In Texas, if you shoot at one of the tires, and it ricochets and kills the thief. You will most likely be charged with manslaughter. In Texas, if you intentionally shoot a thief in the leg, that is going to get you charged with intentional maiming. BTW, a flat tire will not prevent a thief from running you over with your car.Additionally, the last thing I want to be doing is having a shot ricocheting off the ground or a metal car rim.
BTW, a flat tire will not prevent a thief from running you over with your car.
Thank you. And this makes you justified in killing someone who is stealing your vehicle under Texas law. It's called self defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 01:56 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,570,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is there a reason that some people think the only way to stop someone from stealing their car is to murder the thief?

All you have to do is shoot one of the tires. Duh.

Is there something about gun ownership that causes people to dumb down?
This is similar to saying why not shoot the gun out of his hand. People watch way too many movies and have NEVER even held a gun, let alone shot one. I don't agree with what happened but I have a hard time feeling sorry for the criminals.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,711,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I watched this on my local news tonight. A car thief was in the process of stealing a truck with the help of an accomplice in another vehicle. When he started the truck up the alarm went off, the truck's owner and his brother heard the alarm, and came outside. They followed him and shot the car thief, killing him. An accomplice escaped in another vehicle. I'm not sure how I feel about the brothers' actions toward the thief. What are your thoughts?

Brothers chase down car thieves, shoot & kill 1 suspect | News - Home
In some states you can use lethal force to protect land or tangble, movable property.

Another unfortunate suicide.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:06 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,191,704 times
Quote:
I have told no lies.

Get over it.
Sure. You're not a liar in the same way Richard Nixon wasn't a crook.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:19 PM

5,819 posts, read 3,245,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I watched this on my local news tonight. A car thief was in the process of stealing a truck with the help of an accomplice in another vehicle. When he started the truck up the alarm went off, the truck's owner and his brother heard the alarm, and came outside. They followed him and shot the car thief, killing him. An accomplice escaped in another vehicle. I'm not sure how I feel about the brothers' actions toward the thief. What are your thoughts?

Brothers chase down car thieves, shoot & kill 1 suspect | News - Home
The suspect shot at them. The cops would have put about thirty bullets into the suspect. We have an amendment in the Constitution that gives us the right to own a gun. It is implied that someday we may use those guns in self defense. Why the hell do law abiding people always have to be the victims?

I'm from the liberal northeast and those brothers didn't hurt anyone who didn't deserve it.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 PM

78,643 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It doesn't how tired people become, it's still not reasonable to kill someone for stealing a car.
You aren't poor are you?

Tell ya what....someone squeeking by with a family.

Old car but drives well, worth about 5k....your family income is maybe 30k a year...can only afford liability insurance. So if they steal that car you are getting NOTHING.

Work is 10 miles away and if you don't show you're fired. Kids get lunch assistance and you prowl goodwill for winter coats and backpacks for them.

If I'm that guy and some gang banger working for a theft ring tries to steal my car....yes, it's reasonable to kill them.

Any questions? You don't seem to grasp what the theft of a car means to some people living on the edge.

Now if it's me...hey...I'm pretty well off and don't even own a gun. Fine, I pay my deductible and just buy another car.

Liberal, open-minded thinking would be about how crimes like this impact the poorest members of society and not just those with plenty. Maybe stop thinking about yourself?

Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM

78,643 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
If they had a shot gun it would be very difficult to shoot out a tire while in hot pursuit. If they had a pistol, it would be incredibly hard to the point of it being a very lucky shot. Meanwhile, who knows to where the bullets might ricochet off.

I'm assuming most of your gun knowledge comes from tv and movies?
How were the vehicles positioned when they shot out the tires?

Because you say it's incredibly hard yet these guys managed to do it.

Shooting at someone from 50 yards behind while the guy is hauling butt and your car is wavering...yes.

Pulling up alongside with a 12ga at not too crazy speeds? Much easier.

#stopspeculating

Old 02-12-2015, 06:11 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,437,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Great. So they're driving down the freeway firing off rounds out the window, in the general direction of a truck that's weaving down the road at a high rate of speed. What a couple of Einsteins. Yeah, let's give them a big cheer and a pat on the back.

And then when the stolen truck is wrecked, they pull up alongside of it and squeeze off more rounds into the truck, even though the thief was apparently not firing back at them. That's murder.

But see, that's OK. Because the law sometimes doesn't work out the way we want it to, so that makes it alright for those of us who respect the law to ignore it and break it whenever we want to, right? Because we're law-abiding citizens, right? So we get to do that, I guess.

Is that the way the logic here works, or am I missing something?
No, see.....I think you missed something----this is TEXAS

Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,060,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It doesn't how tired people become, it's still not reasonable to kill someone for stealing a car.
Never,ever?

Old 02-12-2015, 07:43 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,797,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Never,ever?
never never
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events