Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:58 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times

Advertisements

Too bad the maker states don't force the taker states like Maine to improve their economies in order to receive federal dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 01:43 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
There comes a point where welfare is necessary, but there also comes a point where it goes to far. The person I referenced in an earlier post receiving $1400/month rental assistance, adding up all his benefits, one is looking at $30,000+ for someone who doesn't work (isn't of retirement age) coming from tax payers.
Agreed.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:59 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
After reading this thread, while most are in favor of such an idea for those on gov't assistance, there are those who are making the claims that this is "hating the poor", making them "jump through hoops", as if it is an act of torture to expect anyone to actually give SIX HOURS per week of their time to either bettering themselves with job training or volunteering in their community. That's right, as if SIX HOURS per week is torturing these people. Meanwhile, the rest of America is waking up at 5 am to work 8-12 hours every single day to make sure they can eat and those on food stamps can eat.

What is America coming to?
Entitlement took over hard work and self responsibility.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:09 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Big business would still outsource, layoff, and offshore.
Not if it was less expensive to do business in the U.S with in-house domestic labor. "Made in the U.S.A." and the very notion of employing American workers is a big selling point, PR wise. The only reason businesses engage in outsourcing, offshoring, and layoffs is because adverse changes in the business climate make those moves financially necessary.

Quote:
I'll never understand this need to kiss the rear of big business by people.
Because most people are employed by businesses, and many are smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds them.

I"ll never understand the animosity toward big business - especially by a small businessman, unless it's rooted in jealousy.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:31 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
You're talking about people who are so down on their luck or who just don't have it together enough to manage basic things - like have a reliable running car, readily available child care, be able to stick to a schedule. I would think that the majority of the drop in eligible recipients is because these people just can't jump through the hoops required to stay on welfare.
Read post #65.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,051 times
Quote:
After reading this thread, while most are in favor of such an idea for those on gov't assistance, there are those who are making the claims that this is "hating the poor", making them "jump through hoops", as if it is an act of torture to expect anyone to actually give SIX HOURS per week of their time to either bettering themselves with job training or volunteering in their community. That's right, as if SIX HOURS per week is torturing these people. Meanwhile, the rest of America is waking up at 5 am to work 8-12 hours every single day to make sure they can eat and those on food stamps can eat.

What is America coming to?
That wasn't the point. I said it was a great idea but doing it statewide in areas where, community services or jobs may not even exist isnt even fair. Like to do it in a state like Rhode island makes sense, D.C., makes sense, North Dakota,Montana,Mississippi,Maine nope. And what qualifies as community service? Whose setting those guidelines? What further documentation and time-wasting did they create doing this? Have you ever been to social services? It is a very stringent, grueling process. And why would MAine even do this? I mean what is 12,000 people who probably don't even receive no more than $200 a month for food stamps. If those 10,000 people who dropped form the program save the $250,000 then what is that scrap change gonna help on their budget? Being nit-picky on the poor for what reason?

Old 04-12-2015, 06:07 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Not if it was less expensive to do business in the U.S with in-house domestic labor. "Made in the U.S.A." and the very notion of employing American workers is a big selling point, PR wise. The only reason businesses engage in outsourcing, offshoring, and layoffs is because adverse changes in the business climate make those moves financially necessary.
Who do you think lobbied to have China included in the WTO selling American workers out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Because most people are employed by businesses, and many are smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds them.

I"ll never understand the animosity toward big business - especially by a small businessman, unless it's rooted in jealousy.
So everyone should kiss the rear of big business that would replace them with someone in India first chance they get?

Jealousy?

Jealousy of being told what to do, when to do it, how to do it?

Jealousy of having to put up with corporate drama?

Jealousy of having to drink corporate kool-aide?

I totally want to give up the ability to make my own schedule and be at the office 9-5, and have to ask for time off instead of just deciding I want the day off and taking it.

I totally want to be underpaid a stagnant wage while productivity increases at double digits. I'd have to give up the ability to control how much I earn, and would probably void the plan of being able (but not actually) retiring by 40.

Being someone who did the corporate thing and has an economic/financial background, Americans are fools if they think big business cares.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:12 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
That wasn't the point. I said it was a great idea but doing it statewide in areas where, community services or jobs may not even exist isnt even fair. Like to do it in a state like Rhode island makes sense, D.C., makes sense, North Dakota,Montana,Mississippi,Maine nope. And what qualifies as community service? Whose setting those guidelines? What further documentation and time-wasting did they create doing this? Have you ever been to social services? It is a very stringent, grueling process. And why would MAine even do this? I mean what is 12,000 people who probably don't even receive no more than $200 a month for food stamps. If those 10,000 people who dropped form the program save the $250,000 then what is that scrap change gonna help on their budget? Being nit-picky on the poor for what reason?
The more you type, the more you leave me continue to ask myself what's this country coming to?

So your answer is to just throw money at them and don't question it an don't expect anything in return, since it may cause a slight inconvenience to them. I mean, it's only the money that others had to work hard to earn, so just keep handing it out.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:41 PM

35,046 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Welfare should NOT be a way of life. It's a "stop gap" measure for a small amount of time, until you "get on your feet"...if you make no attempt to support yourself, you should not expect the general population to support you.

This is why government welfare should be stopped totally. Let charities take on the temporarily disadvantaged. They KNOW how to budget their available funds, and they know how to make sure they aren't giving charity to those who don't truly need it.
There should be some safety net for those whom charity won't help or can't, such as the chronically mentally disturbed.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:37 PM

35,046 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
The more you type, the more you leave me continue to ask myself what's this country coming to?

So your answer is to just throw money at them and don't question it an don't expect anything in return, since it may cause a slight inconvenience to them. I mean, it's only the money that others had to work hard to earn, so just keep handing it out.
I think the idea of workfare is great. It would be greater if public service union rules didn't prevent welfare workers from actually doing something useful. There are lots of highways that need upgrading, potholes that need to be filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events