Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
The sheer number of pages is because some people actually argue back that this killing was "fine" and in line with "personal property rights". No one makes a counter-argument in threads about child abuse, because children are more universally valued.

Everyone agreeing that child abuse is sick: 2 pages
People arguing back and forth whether cat abuse is OK or not: 27 pages
sorry but whenever anyone starts a child abuse thread, you don't get nearly the response...and granted,animals are helpless creatures to, and they need us to watch over them, but so are our children, and yet, everyone seems to not want to discuss molestation.....

Old 04-24-2015, 12:00 PM

430 posts, read 835,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
did you read the rest of them and my post...yes, it speaks New Zealand loudly, but it also exists here in the U.S.!@!!!!
I did. They said cats kill hundreds of millions of birds a year and billions of mice a year in the U.S. But not that they threaten any endangered species at all in North America.

It is an interesting issue, though. I think people are fine with cats being great mousers, in fact that's why a lot of people get a cat in the first place. But people generally like birds. I grew up with bird feeders all over my family's property and yet outdoor cats too. It didn't occur to me that we were luring in these poor birds to be lunch for the cats.

Then again, my cats rarely caught birds. A few times a year at most, because they were well fed.

As the article states, this isn't really a huge problem with well-fed indoor/outdoor domesticated cats. It's more a problem of the feral cat populations. So our vet here was either genuinely or facetiously addressing a real problem, she just did so in an unethical and criminal way.

If animal control had been called, they would have solved the problem legally. And they likely would have found the cat's owners before doing any harm to the cat.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:01 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
did you read the rest of them and my post...yes, it speaks New Zealand loudly, but it also exists here in the U.S.!@!!!!
you better read up on bird killing squirrels!

I witnessed a squirrel running down the pole of my big birdhouse with a baby in its mouth! I was shocked. Didn't know they ate "meat". But looked it up and what do you know.

Those furry tailed boogers are bird killers!!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM

430 posts, read 835,017 times
Quote:
sorry but whenever anyone starts a child abuse thread, you don't get nearly the response...and granted,animals are helpless creatures to, and they need us to watch over them, but so are our children, and yet, everyone seems to not want to discuss molestation.....
The reason is what I already posted that you responded to. Everyone agrees that molestation is wrong, so there's no need to argue about it in these threads, and therefore no incentive to keep conversations going like this.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
you better read up on bird killing squirrels!

I witnessed a squirrel running down the pole of my big birdhouse with a baby in its mouth! I was shocked. Didn't know they ate "meat". But looked it up and what do you know.

Those furry tailed boogers are bird killers!!
yeah, I had a cat, she was awesome, we called her Mama cat....if the guys were working on the roof, she would climb the ladder just to be with them.....

Well, the guys had gone hunting, and bought home squirrels....she saw them and the next morning, there was a squirrel she had caught waiting for us at the front door...(and that was before, I knew about small games and such, she was our mouser) But, yes they do....and little baby bunnies by the scores.....

and yes, squirrels will eat anything they can get their grubby little claws on....

did you know that preying mantis eat humming birds? Look it up.....

but back to the subject, there is no end to what domestic cats catch and kill, now, lets add in the ferral cats who have to kill to survive.

I bet we could all tell stories of all the critters our cats bought home to show us they killed.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:08 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
Quote:
Really, what is there to discuss, other than express disgust and outrage over child abuse. There are plenty of laws to protect children, and the punishments are generally harsh. Child molestation is universally condemned. There's very little need to debate over whether or not the child should have been molested/abused. Everyone seems to agree that it is wrong.

On the other hand, attitudes of people towards animals vary wildly. They are often a target for people with mental illness and have no voice. Often they have no human owners and no one to stand up for them. The protection for animals varies state to state. Even when someone is accused of neglect or abuse of an animal, often the punishment is no more than a slap on the wrist. Many people think "it's just a cat, just a dog" and don't value the animals life or well being.

That's where the 27 page debate comes in. Animal lovers and advocates try to instill compassion and educate those with the mentality that animal's don't matter, because, after all.....children are being abused/molested.

Compassion can and should extend to all species, humans and animals. Caring for one should not preclude the others.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Really, what is there to discuss, other than express disgust and outrage over child abuse. There are plenty of laws to protect children, and the punishments are generally harsh. Child molestation is universally condemned. There's very little need to debate over whether or not the child should have been molested/abused. Everyone seems to agree that it is wrong.

On the other hand, attitudes of people towards animals vary wildly. They are often a target for people with mental illness and have no voice. Often they have no human owners and no one to stand up for them. The protection for animals varies state to state. Even when someone is accused of neglect or abuse of an animal, often the punishment is no more than a slap on the wrist. Many people think "it's just a cat, just a dog" and don't value the animals life or well being.

That's where the 27 page debate comes in. Animal lovers and advocates try to instill compassion and educate those with the mentality that animal's don't matter, because, after all.....children are being abused/molested.

Compassion can and should extend to all species, humans and animals. Caring for one should not preclude the others.
see, here ya go....where did I say animals didn't matter, huh? show me where I said that.....
you are unable to see the forest thru the trees....and while there are plenty of laws to protect children, I was molested every since I was five years old, you show me where the protection was, and when my mother was beating the #$@% out of me, and people heard it, where was the protection?????????????

You are only able to see one side, and I've loved animals all my life.....but you refuse to see that.....
children are not protected, and I'd just once like to see the outbursts for children that I do for animals, and i'm not saying animals do not need to be cared for and loved, but so do kids.....and this countries kids are our responsibility as well....

I know of one rescue, that had a dog returned 3 times, who was a biter, and each time they rehomed the dog, right back out again, and each time, they made over $300.00 for the dog....and that doesn't include the last family that adopted her....so....????? Has it become a business or do they really care....sometimes I have to wonder...cuz if they really cared, why aren't they doing more about the puppy mills, to close them down for good.

We all have our crosses to bear, but don't come down on me for not being fair minded and concerned about both sides of the coin.

I never said, it's just a cat, or it's just a dog....and the last dog I had to put down, I cried for years, and couldn't get another dog....so don't tell me....do you know how many children mollestors go after? 20 - 75 kids, and those are facts, statistics....bet you didn't know that? do you have any idea how that ruins lives? For the rest of their lives? Those kids are no different than the abused cats, dogs and horses we all cry for...and believe me, I do cry for them, but there also has to be balance....everything within moderation....

and our kids need help and education also....

this cat that was killed, it is awful and a shame that a grown adult felt the need to snuff out the life of a poor defenseless cat....like that, but have any of you wondered, does this woman have children? If she does, I wonder how she treats them, and if she doesn't hope to God she is never a mother....

Now can you see the connection? Are you able to understand both sides....and loose the attitude? because we all as human beings need to do that....

so, there are sick people out there that think this cat should have been killed, there is nothing you can do about it, no words will ever change their sick mental state....so why argue with them? All we can do is thank God we don't think like them, but our jobs do not end there.....

Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
That bytch should have an arrow shot through her head. I can't continue to comment as per CD rules

Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
Quote:
see, here ya go....where did I say animals didn't matter, huh? show me where I said that.....
you are unable to see the forest thru the trees....and while there are plenty of laws to protect children, I was molested every since I was five years old, you show me where the protection was, and when my mother was beating the #$@% out of me, and people heard it, where was the protection?????????????

You are only able to see one side, and I've loved animals all my life.....but you refuse to see that.....
children are not protected, and I'd just once like to see the outbursts for children that I do for animals, and i'm not saying animals do not need to be cared for and loved, but so do kids.....and this countries kids are our responsibility as well....

I know of one rescue, that had a dog returned 3 times, who was a biter, and each time they rehomed the dog, right back out again, and each time, they made over $300.00 for the dog....and that doesn't include the last family that adopted her....so....????? Has it become a business or do they really care....sometimes I have to wonder...cuz if they really cared, why aren't they doing more about the puppy mills, to close them down for good.

We all have our crosses to bear, but don't come down on me for not being fair minded and concerned about both sides of the coin.

I never said, it's just a cat, or it's just a dog....and the last dog I had to put down, I cried for years, and couldn't get another dog....so don't tell me....do you know how many children mollestors go after? 20 - 75 kids, and those are facts, statistics....bet you didn't know that? do you have any idea how that ruins lives? For the rest of their lives? Those kids are no different than the abused cats, dogs and horses we all cry for...and believe me, I do cry for them, but there also has to be balance....everything within moderation....

and our kids need help and education also....

this cat that was killed, it is awful and a shame that a grown adult felt the need to snuff out the life of a poor defenseless cat....like that, but have any of you wondered, does this woman have children? If she does, I wonder how she treats them, and if she doesn't hope to God she is never a mother....

Now can you see the connection? Are you able to understand both sides....and loose the attitude?
No attack was meant, and re-reading my post I can't find where you would construe anything I said as a personal attack. Many of my comments weren't directed to you, other than you asked why there aren't 27 pages of debate over child molesters. I simply gave you my OPINION for that. Lighten up. I'm sorry to say, any attitude seems to be on your part. Also sorry for your childhood trauma.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
No attack was meant, and re-reading my post I can't find where you would construe anything I said as a personal attack. Many of my comments weren't directed to you, other than you asked why there aren't 27 pages of debate over child molesters. I simply gave you my OPINION for that. Lighten up. I'm sorry to say, any attitude seems to be on your part. Also sorry for your childhood trauma.
Really, that's what you wrote, REALLY? and then started your rant....

don't be sorry for my childhood trauma, but try and remember before you go slamming someone, that you haven't walked in their shoes....you replied to my post in disagreement, there was an attitude.....so, lets us agree to disagree....and both of us learn, that we need to view both sides of the coin and be a little open minded and a lot less emotionally charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events