Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 07:56 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That's not exactly what that Colorado link said. It said "High exemption rates—around 10 percent or higher–can have serious implications when there are outbreaks of contagious diseases like measles and whooping cough. That’s because herd immunity usually requires immunization rates of 90-95 percent."

This is also not a publication of the Colorado Dept. of Health.
Right that's what I read. 90% compliance means 10% are not in complaince.

Officals in Ca report 6% makes the threat of outbreaks serious.

Another interesting thing -

One school in Denver reports 97.40% compliance with 15% exemption. I am the first to admit I am no mathematician, but one would think that means the 15% that are exempt are included in the compliance rate. Otherwise, we have a school operating well over capacity.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Right that's what I read. 90% compliance means 10% are not in complaince.

Officals in Ca report 6% makes the threat of outbreaks serious.

Another interesting thing -

One school in Denver reports 97.40% compliance with 15% exemption. I am the first to admit I am no mathematician, but one would think that means the 15% that are exempt are included in the compliance rate. Otherwise, we have a school operating well over capacity.
Compliance in this case means the percent of kids whose records they have.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Compliance in this case means the percent of kids whose records they have.
Thank you for the explanation, Katrina.

Im not trying to discredit it at all. I think its great CO is providing the information to parents.

Twin Peaks Charter, St, Vrain Valley - exempt: 10.35%, compliance 79.92% = 9.73% unaccounted for.

It allows parents to attempt to make a valid choice about where their kids go to school, whether they are pro or con vaccinations.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:22 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Children not vaccinated put others at risk. I don't have a problem with this..
Makes no sense. If the Children are VACCINATED, how could they be at risk by non Vaccinated children? They're vaccinated, meaning they're "protected".

This bill is nothing more the than damn conservative trying to profit from the sale of Mercury laced vaccines that triggers Autism.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:47 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Makes no sense. If the Children are VACCINATED, how could they be at risk by non Vaccinated children? They're vaccinated, meaning they're "protected".

It makes all the sense in the world if you understand that no vaccine offers 100% protection and that there are those who cannot be vaccinated for legitimate medical reasons. This "well if you're vaccinated already, why should you care" talking point has to be the most widespread amongst the anti-vaxxer crowd but also one of the most stupid.

Quote:

This bill is nothing more the than damn conservative
trying to profit from the sale of Mercury laced vaccines that triggers Autism.
Yea, California that great bastion of conservative politics.

And a vast majority of vaccines contain no mercury.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac...y/UCM096228#t1

Also there's no evidence that vaccines are responsible for Autism. In fact lately we've been hearing a lot from parents who thought they had done everything right as instructed by folks like Bob Sears and Andrew Wakefield, didn't vaccinate their kids, didn't take any medications or vaccinations during their own pregnancy, fed their kids only organic food....and their kids turned out to be autistic anyways.

Quote:

Juniper Russo "was afraid of autism, of chemicals, of pharmaceutical companies, of pills, of needles" when she had her baby. She just knew that vaccines caused autism when she first visited her pediatrician after her baby was born and knew all of the anti-vaccine talking points. She also later began to realize that her completely unvaccinated daughter had significant developmental delays.
I spent weeks crying over the idea that something was wrong with my baby. It wasn’t supposed to happen to me. I was doing everything right, and developmental delays were supposed to happen to other people’s children. I felt horrified and out of place when I went to the physical therapy office to try to boost my daughter’s development. The other children there had something wrong with them. What did I do to put my child in the same category?
http://juniperwrites.com/who-is.php

You're 0 for 3 here.

Last edited by Juram; 06-02-2015 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 08:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Thank you for the explanation, Katrina.

Im not trying to discredit it at all. I think its great CO is providing the information to parents.

Twin Peaks Charter, St, Vrain Valley - exempt: 10.35%, compliance 79.92% = 9.73% unaccounted for.

It allows parents to attempt to make a valid choice about where their kids go to school, whether they are pro or con vaccinations.
I agree.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Im sort of amazed at how different officials in different states define what is an acceptable rate to establish or breakdown herd immunity.

CA - 6% is serious, while CO finds 90% acceptable - meaning up to 10% is not serious.
No, CO does not find 10% acceptible. It is trying to reduce non-medical exemptions and tightening medical exemptions.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdp...tion-rules-boh

Quote:
Totally agree. I would question the sanity and motivation of a parent who felt otherwise.

I would think school districts would be worried about being held liable for allowing such a child to attend school. Aside from childhood illnesses and the common cold - we have staph, and ecoli issues to worry about. Are the children's bathrooms and lunch room and toys and books and desks and lockers and whatever other surfaces they come in contact with sanitized several times a day as well?

I dont know but I highly doubt it.
We cannot prevent all infectious diseases, but it is wise to prevent those we can. Vaccines are safe and effective. Let those who choose not to use them make other education arrangements for their chidren. That lowers the potential disease burden for everyone in the school.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:11 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
CDC - VAERS - Vaccine Safety

One thing that concerns me is that 30, 000 reports of side effects with 10 to 15 percent of those being serious including over 100 deaths annually due to vaccines are being reported to the CDCs monitoring system in the U.S. yet they can't seem to find anything wrong. Weighing out that risk with the zero people who've died from measles here in the last 10 years seems counter productive. I believe to take risks like this it needs to be a choice.

Are the people you are mandating allowed to claim your hurting their children? Or is this one sided? What kind of safety measures are in place with the mandates to ensure more kids don't suffer side effects worse than the chance of disease they have in America? It seems like a high number of side effects for them all to be dismissed as other random coincidences.

If mandates are in full swing thanks to people who are pumping this idea of forced is better than choice, what kind of safety procedures do you have in place? What if kids die?

Old 06-02-2015, 09:12 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Colorado’s current non-medical exemption rate is 4.6 percent. That national average is 1.8 percent
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdp...tion-rules-boh

That is what people are freaking out over?

Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
https://m.facebook.com/pages/My-chil...72638272814622
Who can we blame for hurting these babies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events