Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I can't believe Zimmerman is still out in society. I trust that the verdict was fair even though my heart told me something else happened that night. The prosecution was just lousy. His behavior since the trial has been nothing short of thuggish and arrogant. He seems to think he has nine legal lives. He'll run out before too much longer, though.

He and OJ would make good company, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Understanding the charges and the facts that are known so far, the charges seem appropriate (and, note, charges don't mean guilt).

-Criminally negligent homicide/involuntary manslaughter is appropriate because of the failure to secure Gray in van (the officers would bear responsibility for what happens to Gray, even if he banged himself against the wall of the van for several minutes . . . especially then if that happened and they didn't take immediate action to stop it) and failure to provide medical attention in a timely manner.

-Similarly, official misconduct is appropriate because the officers failed to provide medical attention in a timely manner and, possibly, for their unlogged stop in the van (more needs to be fleshed out on that front, though).

-False imprisonment is appropriate because, if the narrative is to believed, the officers didn't have probable cause to arrest Gray to begin with (i.e. his knife was legal) and, thus, their subsequent dealing with him via handcuffing and placing in transport van against his will would constitute false imprisonment. That said, this is actually the most difficult charge to prove in my view, as the officers are going to say that it wasn't clear that the knife was legal (there are size/length requirements to that extent) and they were taking him in to verify at station.

The other charges, from second degree murder (when you read Maryland's second degree murder statute, you'll see that the charge is not so far-fetched) to assault, etc., are also supported by the evidence that is known.

Some charges are more slam-dunks than others and I ultimately see the officers copping to a plea (if the state prosecutor doesn't offer a deal, then we know there are politics at play).

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 05-01-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 10:52 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,554 times

SA Mosley speaking at the link
http://blackamericaweb.com/2015/05/0...fficers-video/

Last edited by Amythyst; 05-01-2015 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 05-01-2015, 10:54 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
Facts that have come out so far are pretty bad for police.
If that is true, I hope that they suffer the full extent of the law... AFTER THEY ARE TRIED BY A JURY AND FOUND GUILTY... Until then, they are, INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.....

(puts down gavel)

Old 05-01-2015, 10:56 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Its an over charge that will backfire on the prosecuters. Criminally neg homicide or manslaughter at the most is what they should shoot for. They will have a hard time proving Murder 2.
how do you know that? Do you have privy to some information that has been withheld from the rest of us?

Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 AM

613 posts, read 463,641 times
Sounds like some people really want these cops to be innocent... :\

Cops like these give good cops a bad name.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewisewino View Post
and how long have you been prosecuting cases in baltimore county? And if not, how did you get to see the evidence files that the sa is basing the charges on?
^ this

Old 05-01-2015, 11:00 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino;39446904......
The National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders, issued by what became known as the Kerner Commission is as relevant today as it was over 40 years ago. If you want to know why black folks still riot, then read the report:

http://www.eisenhowerfoundation.org/docs/kerner.pdf

If that is too difficult, watch The Wire.
  • This report was written almost 1/2 century ago.
  • You conclude that rioting works and report proves it.
  • Yet 50 years later we still have riots for exactly same reasons.
  • So either
    • Riots actually fix nothing, your conclusion failed
    • Things did get better, but there is refusal to acknowledge. so riots continue on. i.e. riots pointless.
  • Either way, your case failed.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The jury will decide based on facts, not speculation, and hopefully not emotion and/or fear of nationwide rioting if they rule in the cop's favor.

In the Zimmerman case, the prosecution had absolutely no case. I watched the entire trial play out on the screen. NO case against him at all. It was laughable that this man was brought to trail to begin with. The jury ruled properly. But freakin nobody cares about the facts and evidence.
You might want to look up what the one of the jurors admitting they were bullied by their fellow jurors into going with not guilty verdict and saying they regret their decision because the evidence pointed guilt.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:02 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Sounds like some people really want these cops to be innocent... :\

Cops like these give good cops a bad name.
I want justice... If these cops did something that caused his death, I want them tried and convicted of that. If they had nothing to do with his death, I want them tried and found innocent of that... plain and simple. I want the truth (Don't ANYBODY quote Nicholson)

I want the cops to be tried should there be justification in trying them... Then, through our court system, their guilt or innocence will be determined... But until then let me remind you, INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY, not the other way around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events